Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 279,003 times)

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: Whos_Nick on May 11, 2017, 06:32:47 PM
Spoiler
The ending as it stands has Daniels finding out about the David switch but being stuck in her cryo pod, David "Sleep tight," etc. He goes down and reveals himself as David to Muthur and plays Wagner while putting the facehugger embryos and then the whole "This is Walter signing off." That's the theatrical ending. The original ending Daniels didn't find out about the switch, she went to sleep. David does not reveal himself, pretends to be Walter and opens the colonist bay. He then lumps up three Xeno embryos (at least what I remember). There's no Wagner playing. He then closes the embryo tray and does a hop skip then we cut to black. No Walter signing off, just ends there.
[close]

The December ending was superior imo and more ambiguous, but it might not have tested well, thus they spelled it all out.

Spoiler
I kind of find Daniels going into Cryo while knowing she is doomed a bit more horrifying. Like if you were going under before a surgery and while your body goes numb, the surgeon tells you that he is going to kill you and use your body as some tool for his demented research. You know you are going to die but there is nothing you can do about it. But I have not seen the scene play out so it might not be that horrifying as it seems like it is in my mind.
[close]

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Whos_Nick on May 11, 2017, 06:21:52 PM
Few changes I remember off the top of my head:

1) Opening is a little different, originally you didn't see Franco's corpse and them cleaning up the colonist pods.

2) Slightly longer scene where Daniels mourns Franco.

3) Shaw prologue is in the film, it begins when David talks to Walter with his flashback (before bombing)

4)
Spoiler
I don't remember seeing Shaw's corpse in the original cut, but I could be wrong.
[close]

5) David/Walter switch is much less telegraphed and more subtle

6) Ending is completely different, top to bottom.

Spoiler
The ending as it stands has Daniels finding out about the David switch but being stuck in her cryo pod, David "Sleep tight," etc. He goes down and reveals himself as David to Muthur and plays Wagner while putting the facehugger embryos and then the whole "This is Walter signing off." That's the theatrical ending. The original ending Daniels didn't find out about the switch, she went to sleep. David does not reveal himself, pretends to be Walter and opens the colonist bay. He then lumps up three Xeno embryos (at least what I remember). There's no Wagner playing. He then closes the embryo tray and does a hop skip then we cut to black. No Walter signing off, just ends there.
[close]

The December ending was superior imo and more ambiguous, but it might not have tested well, thus they spelled it all out.

Interesting. While I prefer Daniels finding out, I do think the ending twist is much too obvious.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Spoiler
It was interesting to see Ridley Scott finally address his "can artificial people have sex" question - sort of.
[close]

Spoiler
The fight between the two synthetics raises the question as to why Ash wasn't as fast or as skilled a fighter in his confrontation with Parker. If Ash had exhibited any of these deadly skills seen during the Walter/David fight, Parker,Ripley and Lambert wouldn't have stood a chance.
[close]

reecebomb

reecebomb

Just got back from the IMAX cinema. I'm a bit tired now but i'll write down some of the thought this film inflicted on me, i'm sure there's a lot that i forgot to add. I know i've had a negative attitude towards the film since the first images and clips started to appear but i still didn't believe it would be that far removed from the real Alien films and even Prometheus. So in a way i'm not very upset because it quite easy for me to dismiss it as another non/canon separate fiction a la tha AVP movies. It felt more like a bizarre nightmare that Shaw would see the first night the juggernaut left the LV-223, this is the only possible way i could believe it would take place in the same universe. This is a fairy tale, a fantasy, a genre that i'm also very fond of, but the original movies at least tried to be as realistic as possible (as much as sci-fi space creature feature could be). As i've said before, Alien feels like a documentary next to this.

As a an Alien film i probably hate it, too soon to say. But imaging it being as a non Alien film it's still deeply flawed yet the Fassbenders perfomance makes it interesting in places that certainly is a welcome diversion from the usual Marvel, F&F and other blockbusters.

Here's my ratings for different categories (mostly viewed from a biased fans perspective):

1. Screenplay and story - 3/10

If you thought that the Prometheus characters behaviour was a bit suspect, then multiply it with 2 and you get this. And it's just not Oram, it would take too much time to list all of the problems.
I think the script is also responsible for serious pacing issues, lack of plausibility and other problems, like not being scary at all.
And last but not least there's the controversial revealing of Alien Origins and engineers fate  + Shaw and the changes to the aliens lifecycle. I was open to see if Ridley could sell me these ideas, but you already know the answer. On other hand, when David appeared, the b-movie esque atmosphere was oddly captivating, he did some strange unconvetional things, which i found amusing to witness. That said the creationism etc is right on the nose, all the sublety was flown out of the airlock. It fails both as an Prometheus sequel and Alien prequel.

2. Sound - 7/10 Functional, but nothing stood out as something that would emphasize atmosphere (think the sounds in Nostromo before the crew wakes up). The neomorph sound like clickers from The Last of US.

3. Visuals - 6/10 This is perhaps one of the most generic looking films Ridley has ever made, which was really suprising. Don't get me wrong, it looked good, but nothing stood out as being very memorable or awe inspiring. It doesn't have it's own identity. I liked the practical sets of the spaceship, but the lightning and the camerawork was a bit weak tbh. The creature cgi was inconsistent, sometimes great and sometimes not very good but always there. I just rewatched Chappie and the droid in that looked more believable than the creatures in A:C. So in that regard, i don't think the cgi here is the best the technology could currently offer, it also wasn't terrible. Holding back on the cgi and using practical fx as much as possible would have helped immensly. Neomorphs looked a bit more real then the protomorph. Overall Prometheus is visually much more memorable and expensive looking, although at least A:C didn't have Guy Pearce with that ridiculous makeup.

4. Actors - 7/10  I think the poor characters of the film were not the fault of the actors, they did what they could with the material. Many seem to agree that Fassy is excellent as David. Though i would have certainly changed a few of the actors, for example i didn't like the pair of Jussie Smollet and Callie Hernadez the same way i didn't like Holloway.

5. Music - 4/10 the only music i remember that was there besides the reworked classic Alien music + the main theme of Prometheus, was the sappy piano daytime tv show music during the sadder moments and
Spoiler
wtf was with the music when the xenomorph bursted, was it supposed to be humorous?
[close]
I would have loved something with the same atmosphere of Sicario and Under the Skin, this just doesn't cut it. Edit: the pulsing music (inspired from Alien again) when the shit really hit the fan was pretty good and fitting.

Overall - as Alien fan this gets a 4/10 from me, as it's own thing id rate it with 6.

You see, it requires certain amount of finesse to make a proper A L I E N film, in that regards the Alien:Covenant failed miserably.

That said, I think Ridley could still pull it off if he has a strong script, The Martian was good. But i also sense that he is not that interested with the creature anymore, or hasn't been for some time. The main themes of this film suggest that he would have rather liked to direct the Blade Runner sequel.

And Hollywood, please stop with the prequel bs! It just doesn't work.

bacchus

bacchus

It did not feel like a meaningful sequel to Prometheus and seemed to disregard most of what was interesting about that film.

The only good thing about it was the level of gore, and the practical effects used at times. The CG is below-par on many occasions though, and became distracting at times especially when they used it to create backgrounds or the aliens themselves. The bare bones of a reasonable film are there, but it needs another 30-45 minutes or so added in there to add more depth and originality. 2 hours flew by with mindless set pieces.

Very disappointing. Prometheus a better film overall.

3/10

reecebomb

reecebomb

Quote from: bacchus on May 11, 2017, 10:32:16 PM

The only performance that really stood out was Carmen Ejogo, but she didn't get much time - she would have been a far better protagonist than what we got.

She definitely was one of the more real characters, i also thought the actress of Faris did a fine job, even if her character was behaving oddly, but that's understandable under tension of this magnitude. I think all the plausibility of the story died with these two.
Mcbride was a bit beige like the rest of the cast, sans Fass.

Imbrie

Imbrie

Just back from a UK screening and, against expectations, I really bloody enjoyed it. Sure, it's definitely a popcorn flick but it's a blast. It's still a shame that we didn't get the intended follow up to Prometheus but I'd definitely give this a second viewing. 6.5/10 for me.

RayneStorm82

RayneStorm82

Just got back and really enjoyed it! Whilst the fan in me didn't enjoy some parts it really is a great movie. Going again tomorrow and Saturday with different friends. So much to talk about and digest and definitely deserves multiple viewings.

bacchus

bacchus

The only things this film got right (IMO): the beautiful scenery/sets, the level of gore, the backburster scene, Fassbender's performances, some of the minor characters like Carmen Ejogo's.

The things this film got wrong (IMO): Most of the CG, the lack of tension, the lack of any real story, the recycling of scenes/tropes from previous Alien films.
:-\

Citadel

Citadel

Just back from the early UK preview.

Liked it. Didn't love it. That seems to be the general consensus.

A lot of problems I'm not thrilled about. Some fantastic positives. Definitely needs a second viewing.

bacchus

bacchus

Quote from: Citadel on May 11, 2017, 10:52:05 PM

A lot of problems I'm not thrilled about. Some fantastic positives. Definitely needs a second viewing.

I'm less enthusiastic about it than you, but there were breif moments that were decent enough (backburster scene, and the Weyland/David scene at the start).

I agree it needs a second viewing.

What I'm slightly amused at...
Spoiler
The scene at the start involving Weyland and David with the piano - I remember watching it at the time and thinking "when I post my thoughts on this film I will mention how out of place and odd that scene was".
[close]

But having watched the whole thing, it was one of the few good scenes in the film!

Citadel

Citadel

Quote from: bacchus on May 11, 2017, 10:53:54 PM
Quote from: Citadel on May 11, 2017, 10:52:05 PM

I'm less enthusiastic about it than you, but there were breif moments that were decent enough (backburster scene, and the Weyland/David scene at the start).

I agree it needs a second viewing.

What I'm slightly amused at...
Spoiler
The scene at the start involving Weyland and David with the piano - I remember watching it at the time and thinking "when I post my thoughts on this film I will mention how out of place and odd that scene was".
[close]

But having watched the whole thing, it was one of the few good scenes in the film!
I've started a thread regarding key things I'd change, I thought the prologue was fine however not as intriguing as Prometheus. It made sense, absolutely. It foreshadowed. But it didn't seem right. Like a Prometheus add-on.

Marcus9000

Marcus9000

The film was okay but I think it did seem a little rushed even though it was 2 hours long.

Not enough time spent getting to know the characters, yet the Last Supper was good and would have helped a bit I think, they could have cut the bits repairing the sail if they wanted a shorter running time. Also it's not mentioned that they were all couples, yet we see that in The Last Supper. We know some are married, but it's not clear enough, which would have boosted the emotion.

Danny McBride was pretty good as Tennessee, Katherine Waterston was okay as Daniels (she's no Ripley) but Michael Fassbender is again brilliant as David. Funny, creepy, and sinister.

One criticism I have seen recurring is that the characters in the film make daft choices. I thought this wild be harsh but when you see it you do think a few of them were pretty stupid.

I felt a bit sorry for Oram, as the Covenant crew were not very respectful to him.

The FX of the protomorphs looked like cheapo CGI to me. Very disappointed in that.

I actually think Prometheus was a better film than Covenant, which is a shame as I had high hopes for this movie, but it again illustrates that Ridley Scott is a great visualist but in many of his films the script and plot need a bit of work and indeed emotion.

Imagine a James Cameron or Steven Speilberg version of this story? It would have been gripping. I just felt at the climax Daniels was never really in too much danger.

Hopefully it will grow on me after repeated viewings.

Rating: 3/5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ebbhead40

ebbhead40

No spoilers.. Just got back from watching (uk).  Have to be honest here and say I feel a lot worse about this, than after I'd first come out from watching Prometheus. Started out very promising at the beginning and I thought it really felt like the Alien universe again... Then from the point they land, it slowly just unravels into an unholy mess of ideas. The David god complex aspect is layed on so thickly that it completely changes the tone of the film to almost mythical "The Mummy"-esque proportions before crunching gears back to realism again. The xeno aspects felt rushed and almost tacked on as an afterthought with AVP levels of gestation and growth... and that chestburster?! The "twist" was telegraphed a mile off and rendered the final act pointless and nonsensical. I had really tempered my expectations for this one and although I'm a huge fan of the first 3 films and with the best will in the world, I am bitterly disappointed with this. Even more so than I was with Prometheus.  Maybe a second viewing after a while might help, but my first reaction has it almost way down there with resurrection for me.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Just got back from the advanced screening of Alien: Covenant. While not without it's flaws, which every film has anyway, I really enjoyed this movie for the most part and will definitely see it again. Scott's directing is expertly done as you would expect, and he certainly gets the best out of the actors when it matters. Very few sequences from the trailers exists as they were in the film, some don't even exist at all, but I'm happy to say the trailers certainly didn't spoil the movie this time round as they did Prometheus.

I thought the acting was fine even though I wasn't familiar with many of these actors. Apart from Michael Fassbender, who really owned the show as both Walter and David, Danny McBride was the stand out performer here. I really liked his character and found him to be the most believable throughout. Kathrine Waterstone was ok I thought, especially in the early part of the movie when we're getting to know everyone and dealing with a crisis at the start. But when the action hots up, well, all I can really say was all I saw was Ripley if I'm honest. Maybe that was the intention and fair enough if so, but I just felt Prometheus' leading lady (Noomi Rapace) was a far more developed and individual character, whereas as Waterstone just feels a little too familiar. As for the rest, like I said, I wasn't familiar with the actors and need to see them again but, to name a few, Billy Crudup, Jossie Smollett and Callie Hernendez stood out as very believable.

As for the effects, the CGI was great for the most part but sometimes very noticeable, something which I didn't see in Prometheus which was far more convincing, it didn't ruin the movie for me, but clearly some things towards the end of the movie looked a little rushed, even the man in the suit was noticeable at times. The sets were spectacular and definitely on a par with anything in the Alien series so far, as was the beautiful design work that went into this movie. The only gripe I would mention is that all too often the sets looked too bright, like even in the cinema details were easy to pick out, and for a movie like this were what lurked in the shadows was all important, the only thing that maybe prevented you from seeing it was the fast and often shaky camera work, but when you did see it, you really did see it full on, which wasn't quite right for me.

Finally, I loved the story and the script for the most part. There were a couple of cringe worthy moments, and perhaps one too many dialogue references from the first 3 Alien films, but overall the dialogue was mostly kept in tone of what was going on. The fear factor in particular was very unnerving at times, there is a lot of gore and plenty of action in this movie as you might expect, but this is certainly the most intense imagery I've seen from any Alien film to date, including the original. As a few have already mentioned, there is a clear change of tone in the final act and it does feel a little rushed. It didn't spoil my enjoyment of the movie, however, some sequences did feel like they were pulled right out of some of the previous movies, and very obvious they are too. One last thing which isn't a spoiler, but thought I would mention even though I may be wrong. I'm almost sure I noticed something a little 'different' about the beast towards the end. Is this important, I'm not sure, maybe others noticed it as well, but I'll just have to see the movie again for a closer look.

As for my Alien series rankings:

ALIEN 10/10
ALIEN3 (assembly cut) 9/10
ALIENS 8/10
ALIEN: Covenant 7/10
PROMETHEUS 6/10
ALIEN: Resurrection 5/10

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed