The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 237,621 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Mar 31, 2015, 01:37:30 AM
If the Engineers show up... well, I might actually read it then.  Predators bore me.

I actually am starting to dislike the Engineers. At first they were cool but they're seemingly being presented as these.. intergalactic overlords which is something I really don't like on how EU authors are seemingly presenting them. As for the Super Predators.. well, I don't like them either but if Evolution is to be accounted for.. well, they do have Xenomorphs weaponized already.

At this point it seems like as if it might not be them which are the true antagonist but if anything.. we shouldn't rule them out. If it's the Engineers, well, they are intergalactic overlords.. which is something I don't like. Masters of the Universe, and I just think that's bogus. And I ain't talking about He-Man.

Quarax

Quarax

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 30, 2015, 10:14:44 AM
We're using this on Xenopedia. No idea where it came from (I didn't source it).

I got it from the Amazon page. For some reason, it only shows up for to the Kindle Edition.

I found a few sites that somehow already have the release date for Alien: Invasion: March 29, 2015.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Quarax on Mar 31, 2015, 03:08:22 AM
I found a few sites that somehow already have the release date for Alien: Invasion: March 29, 2015.

That was yesterday!

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Mar 31, 2015, 01:45:36 AM
It's actually Arcturus if we are referencing the actual star not Arcturia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcturus

It could really be Aliens or humans.  I wouldn't be surprised if Arcturians were actually genderless humans that were created by the Engineers.  Hence why it doesn't matter if they're female or not...

If they're trying to maintain a continuinity within these new novels then we already know the Acturians were aliens. Which I really don't mind. I like the idea of an expanded galaxy - of it being more than just a few species. I also like the ideas that the Engineers created other races, other experiments. I'd like to see more of their maliciousness. Of the arrogance that the galaxy is theirs to do what they wish.

Tarak'ha

I refuse to take this seriously when Fox/Dark Horse hires a new writer which comes in every time to do their own spin and end up contradicting all writers before them.  Once bitten twice shy.  One only needs to read all comments before mine to see the result of this epic ongoing (and careless) continuity quagmire.

Uhh.. Something positive? The cover is all cool and stuff. Or something.  Sure.

Corporal Hicks

These novels were a restart. All 3 authors knew each other and worked to ensure their 3 books fit. The author of these 3 is one of last 3. It's part of what I've been enjoying - a connection that is akin to the first few novels. I enjoy that feeling.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 31, 2015, 07:58:18 AMThese novels were a restart.

Were they though? I know that was mooted, but then River of Pain threw in all that Newt's Tale stuff and now I'm not so sure.

Corporal Hicks

It's just the inclusion of one issue of a series. They were definitely intended to restart the novels and have done that just fine. A few scenes from one issue of a two part series doesn't really negate that intention, I don't feel.

HuDaFuK

No, I hear what you're saying. It just surprised me that this was supposedly a fresh start, only to lift scenes verbatim from something in the old EU.

Corporal Hicks

I could do with going back and relistening to the Tim interview. I can't remember 100% what he says about the topic.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 31, 2015, 08:06:13 AM
No, I hear what you're saying. It just surprised me that this was supposedly a fresh start, only to lift scenes verbatim from something in the old EU.

I would not consider Newt's Tale to be old EU.  If I remember correctly, the derelict also appeared in Allan Dean Foster's adaptation of Aliens.  Newt's tale was basically a clever adaptation of Aliens which was from Newt's perspective rather than Ripley's.  It neither confirms not contradicts anything in EU.  As it is concurrent with canon events in Aliens, it can be considered as pre-EU although technically it came out after the entire Verheiden series came out.  I really hope they compile the Newt's Tale series into one volume some day.  But ideally, it would be best if they compile all 4 original Aliens film comic adaptations into an omnibus.  That would make my day.  But I digress..

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Mar 31, 2015, 03:08:03 PMI would not consider Newt's Tale to be old EU.  If I remember correctly, the derelict also appeared in Allan Dean Foster's adaptation of Aliens.  Newt's tale was basically a clever adaptation of Aliens which was from Newt's perspective rather than Ripley's.  It neither confirms not contradicts anything in EU.

I'm not talking about the bits that are in the extended version of the film or the novelisation. I was referring to all the Hadley's Hope infestation stuff that was made up specifically for the comic, including the deaths of Russ and Anne. The new books were supposed to be ignoring the old EU (of which that stuff is a part, because the comics, with the exception of a couple of scenes from the Aliens Special Edition, just made it up, and it was naff) and yet several of those scenes were recycled verbatim.

predxeno

I still see all these books and comics as one continuity, btw.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 31, 2015, 03:28:31 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Mar 31, 2015, 03:08:03 PMI would not consider Newt's Tale to be old EU.  If I remember correctly, the derelict also appeared in Allan Dean Foster's adaptation of Aliens.  Newt's tale was basically a clever adaptation of Aliens which was from Newt's perspective rather than Ripley's.  It neither confirms not contradicts anything in EU.

I'm not talking about the bits that are in the extended version of the film or the novelisation. I was referring to all the Hadley's Hope infestation stuff that was made up specifically for the comic, including the deaths of Russ and Anne. The new books were supposed to be ignoring the old EU (of which that stuff is a part, because the comics, with the exception of a couple of scenes from the Aliens Special Edition, just made it up, and it was naff) and yet several of those scenes were recycled verbatim.

I think the key thing to consider is that those events are completely innocuous continuity-wise to every continuity out there, which IMO is why they can be canon.  Verheiden's material works with them.  Alien 3 and AR works with them, etc.  Are they EU, yes, but until something comes along that negates these events, I just figure we can include them.  Now I have to start a petition in the Alien Lit section to get all of these film adaptations combined into an omnibus.  Off I go...

predxeno

^I'll sign your petition. ;). And I agree with your views on canon as well.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed