Huh... Whodathunk that Ridley Scott would help destroy the Alien?

Started by CarnalCalligraphy, Jun 02, 2012, 10:08:51 PM

Author
Huh... Whodathunk that Ridley Scott would help destroy the Alien? (Read 6,400 times)

Jekermesh

Jekermesh

I dont hate this film, I dislike quite a few parts, but I really cant hate it, BUT what does annoy me about it is the finality of the story line, in that if they dont stop the ship leaving EARTH WILL BE DESTROYED. That was what was good about the first three films, they had sod all to do with earth. The story did not concern the end of everything, more specifically a situation thousands of millions of miles away from earth and that, that was brilliant. This however, sort of ruins that, even though I know RS was going for something different, it just seems to pull Prometheus away from the genesis of what the first three films were about and more toward crap hollywood blockbuster nonsense, much like number 4. Should have stuck with that Buffy fella.

Im not getting Joss Whedon confused with RS by the way, or anything else. I hope.

Aceburster

Prometheus isn't cannon lalalalalala!. Seriously tho, we aren't anymore connected to alien than we were before so I don't the alien franchise is gonna be hurt by Prometheus of all things. Just a missed opportunity for him and fox to do something for the fans rather than cash or 'vision' 

Hell Quentin Tarantino could direct an Alien movie as long as it had actual Aliens and space in it. For some reason nobody seems to have the brains to do the obvious. Think of franchises like friday the 13th where it took 20 years and 10 movies for THE INDUSTRY to get sick of the formula. We can't even get an actual Alien on screen in 20 years.

Blacklabel

Quote from: Jekermesh on Jun 03, 2012, 12:42:45 AM
That was what was good about the first three films, they had sod all to do with earth.

Er.. Ripley's sacrifice at the end of number 3. Quite a bit to do with the rest of humanity throughout the galaxy.

hfeldhaus

Quote from: CarnalCalligraphy on Jun 02, 2012, 10:49:19 PM
I keep hearing about a "vocal minority" - as though that makes the gripes less legitimate ::) - but I seem to remember the vast majority of AVPgalaxy posters being loyal and seemingly unconditional supporters of avp:poo.

This doesnt make sense. avp was panned by the majority of film goers and critics, and did terrible at the box office. seem to remember AVP:R took more money from dvd rentals and sale than it did in the cinema. so far prometheus has high ratings and good box office takings, only sencond to avengers at the moment.

And as for destroying the franchise prometheus is saving it. its going in a completely different direction to the other alien films and i can see a new franchise developing.

Xenomorphine

I seem to remember the first of the two AVP films was a financial success. Hence, the sequel.

Predaker

If anyone guessed the movie would end this way before it was revealed, they would have been shunned.

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 03, 2012, 03:37:04 AM
I seem to remember the first of the two AVP films was a financial success. Hence, the sequel.

I was putting both films into one shit covered banner.

cmdcnqr

cmdcnqr

Quote from: Ooze on First on Jun 02, 2012, 10:24:23 PM
Just because it's not what you wanted doesn't make it bad nor does it lead to the destruction of a franchise.
It would also seem that those with low double-digit IQs remain oblivious to the fact that IT'S NOT A FKNG ALIEN MOVIE.  ::)

A high % of those who have seen the movie have given it high marks...putting you complainers into a small. but vocal minority.

Great Point! We in the USA have another 4 days to go, and judging from all the reviews it sounds like a decent, even a great sci-fi movie. Sounds like all the whining is eminating from all the fanboys who didn't get to see the classic xeno in all it's glory. Or, rather that they didn't get the movie they wanted. I'm going to the opening night viewing with the notion that the movie only contains DNA of Alien, and that it's a standalone movie apart from the exhausted Xeno franchise.

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Jun 02, 2012, 11:16:31 PM
Quote from: CarnalCalligraphy on Jun 02, 2012, 10:58:50 PM
Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Jun 02, 2012, 10:54:23 PM
"UMAD" has rarely seemed more apropos.

At what is that directed?

The sheer volume of histrionics on the forum.  I mean, come on, folks.  People in fandom were writing their own fan versions of the film, applying fan canon theories hither and yon, unilaterally deciding who was their favorite or least favorite character or castmember based on two minute featurettes months ago, grafting conspiracy theories onto the design choices and composer (Streitenfeld can't get the job done and his work in the movie will be limited, anyone?) and now because a cross section of fandom doesn't like a monster design or whatever else, we decide Scott has "destroyed the alien", full stop?   No, he just did what he wanted. 

I don't mind opinions; I mind unilateral judgments presented as unassailable universal fact based on personal opinion, or without having seen the film.  But this has gone on for many months.  People want to look like self-assured experts and tastemakers but we're all just fans.  And Scott does what he likes.  All the fandom inside baseball was meaningless.

Exactly! The online speculatory douchebaggery started months ago, even certain bloggers claiming to hate the movie and characters based on a few minutes of trailers. Pathetic. I absolutely hated Alien 3 when I walked out of the theater in 1992, but over the years it has become my 3rd favorite Alien movie. Sitting here in AZ I have nothing to do but wait another 4 days until we get the US release, but even now I'm still very excited listening to the movie soundtrack over and over again. And yes, even after I've read alot of reviews and basically know the whole story line now. I think it's going to be a great movie :-)

CarnalCalligraphy

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Jun 03, 2012, 03:30:54 AM
I keep hearing about a "vocal minority" - as though that makes the gripes less legitimate ::) - but I seem to remember the vast majority of AVPgalaxy posters being loyal and seemingly unconditional supporters of avp:poo.

This doesnt make sense. avp was panned by the majority of film goers and critics, and did terrible at the box office. seem to remember AVP:R took more money from dvd rentals and sale than it did in the cinema. so far prometheus has high ratings and good box office takings, only sencond to avengers at the moment.

And as for destroying the franchise prometheus is saving it. its going in a completely different direction to the other alien films and i can see a new franchise developing.

That's why I was sure to specify a post later that I meant before the film was released. People on these boards were going nuts over AVP:R.

whiterabbit

Oh good grief, that little shit at the end has a lot of potential. I don't really understand the angst. I understand the, oh great show it at the end and then roll credits... but that's how the ball rolls sometimes.

hfeldhaus

Quote from: CarnalCalligraphy on Jun 03, 2012, 03:59:49 AM
Quote from: hfeldhaus on Jun 03, 2012, 03:30:54 AM

That's why I was sure to specify a post later that I meant before the film was released. People on these boards were going nuts over AVP:R.

i wasnt! id rather lick a dogs asshole than ever watch that again. AVPR brought all the fan boys out on this sites, even when prometheus was given an R rating everyone got stiffys. sorry i didnt see your second post

Predaker

Quote from: cmdcnqr on Jun 03, 2012, 03:48:47 AM
Just because it's not what you wanted doesn't make it bad nor does it lead to the destruction of a franchise.
It would also seem that those with low double-digit IQs remain oblivious to the fact that IT'S NOT A FKNG ALIEN MOVIE.  ::)

A high % of those who have seen the movie have given it high marks...putting you complainers into a small. but vocal minority.

Great Point! We in the USA have another 4 days to go, and judging from all the reviews it sounds like a decent, even a great sci-fi movie. Sounds like all the whining is eminating from all the fanboys who didn't get to see the classic xeno in all it's glory. Or, rather that they didn't get the movie they wanted. I'm going to the opening night viewing with the notion that the movie only contains DNA of Alien, and that it's a standalone movie apart from the exhausted Xeno franchise.

The sheer volume of histrionics on the forum.  I mean, come on, folks.  People in fandom were writing their own fan versions of the film, applying fan canon theories hither and yon, unilaterally deciding who was their favorite or least favorite character or castmember based on two minute featurettes months ago, grafting conspiracy theories onto the design choices and composer (Streitenfeld can't get the job done and his work in the movie will be limited, anyone?) and now because a cross section of fandom doesn't like a monster design or whatever else, we decide Scott has "destroyed the alien", full stop?   No, he just did what he wanted. 

I don't mind opinions; I mind unilateral judgments presented as unassailable universal fact based on personal opinion, or without having seen the film.  But this has gone on for many months.  People want to look like self-assured experts and tastemakers but we're all just fans.  And Scott does what he likes.  All the fandom inside baseball was meaningless.

Exactly! The online speculatory douchebaggery started months ago, even certain bloggers claiming to hate the movie and characters based on a few minutes of trailers. Pathetic. I absolutely hated Alien 3 when I walked out of the theater in 1992, but over the years it has become my 3rd favorite Alien movie. Sitting here in AZ I have nothing to do but wait another 4 days until we get the US release, but even now I'm still very excited listening to the movie soundtrack over and over again. And yes, even after I've read alot of reviews and basically know the whole story line now. I think it's going to be a great movie :-)
Good to see there are still people out there who can enjoy a movie, even though major parts of the plot makes little/no sense.

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Predaker on Jun 03, 2012, 04:02:51 AM

Good to see there are still people out there who can enjoy a movie, even though major parts of the plot makes little/no sense.

what major parts?

CarnalCalligraphy

CarnalCalligraphy

Cmdcnqr, cry me a river.

I haven't criticised Prometheus once on these boards before tonight. Feel free to peruse my post history. I made this particular comment in regards to the lazily designed proto-xeno I just watched cut its way out of a space jockey with its razor sharp head.

Does it really irritate you people so much that I have an opinion? 

Quote from: Predaker on Jun 03, 2012, 04:02:51 AM

Pardon me, but I can't help but find it amusing that you can enjoy a movie that makes no sense... What did you like about it?

Valaquen

I feel it's knee-jerk to say the Alien has been destroyed - either the creature or the franchise. The franchise certainly hasn't been destroyed; you can't get lower than the nadir that was AVP:R, and Prometheus, despite its flaws, is way ahead of those films. As for the creature, a cameo of a bad design won't topple Kane's Son - he's still there, and the proto wasn't a prominent part of Prometheus. Not even to marr the reputation of the Alien :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed