Started by Local Trouble, Oct 25, 2023, 12:07:44 AM

Was Burke working alone?

Yes
19 (90.5%)
No
2 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author
Was Burke working alone? (Read 11,675 times)

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Wweyland on Oct 26, 2023, 07:08:31 AMAs he was a "director", I would assume he had people working under him, and might have even had a team.
However, these kind of "minions" are often seen unworthy of business trips, as you would need to pay each one this "Daily allowance" and cover other costs.

Indeed, and it's not just any team as it has to do work that's illegal, like smuggling alien organisms. In addition, the other divisions, like those involved in research, reverse-engineering, bio-weapons, and weapons manufacture, are dependent on it.

Given that, if it works alone, then it does so not in the sense that it works for itself but independently. That is, it doesn't require permission from others except from the highers up that formed it, but it still needs company assets to fulfill its role. That's why Burke, who was Director of this division, was able to order the Colony Manager, who belonged to another division (probably terraforming) around. It also won't surprise me if Burke's position is the reason why he, and not legal, represented the company during the hearing. And even Bishop was working for him.

That type of work (not exactly business trips) can't involve minions or gophers because those can't think for themselves and will have to return frequently to higher-ups, asking what to do next. It also can't involve bean counters because those need a lot of time to audit and assess, and also works with legal and controllers who will question costs, etc. Usually, it will require young, ambitious, ruthless, and determined go-getters who have no qualms sacrificing assets and personnel for higher returns. I won't be surprised if a backstory is created explaining that the division originated from an earlier group that came up with Special Order 937 decades earlier.

SiL

SiL

Let me guess, Ralfy continues to not understand very simple concepts.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: ralfy on Oct 27, 2023, 12:19:40 AM
Quote from: Wweyland on Oct 26, 2023, 07:08:31 AMAs he was a "director", I would assume he had people working under him, and might have even had a team.
However, these kind of "minions" are often seen unworthy of business trips, as you would need to pay each one this "Daily allowance" and cover other costs.

Indeed, and it's not just any team as it has to do work that's illegal, like smuggling alien organisms. In addition, the other divisions, like those involved in research, reverse-engineering, bio-weapons, and weapons manufacture, are dependent on it.

Given that, if it works alone, then it does so not in the sense that it works for itself but independently. That is, it doesn't require permission from others except from the highers up that formed it, but it still needs company assets to fulfill its role. That's why Burke, who was Director of this division, was able to order the Colony Manager, who belonged to another division (probably terraforming) around. It also won't surprise me if Burke's position is the reason why he, and not legal, represented the company during the hearing. And even Bishop was working for him.

That type of work (not exactly business trips) can't involve minions or gophers because those can't think for themselves and will have to return frequently to higher-ups, asking what to do next. It also can't involve bean counters because those need a lot of time to audit and assess, and also works with legal and controllers who will question costs, etc. Usually, it will require young, ambitious, ruthless, and determined go-getters who have no qualms sacrificing assets and personnel for higher returns. I won't be surprised if a backstory is created explaining that the division originated from an earlier group that came up with Special Order 937 decades earlier.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 27, 2023, 04:48:50 AM

"Riiight 85..."

SiL

SiL

Could whoever is still not blocked by Ralfy please just gently remind him that when people say he is "working alone" they mean "he has not told anyone else what he is doing", not "he is self-employed."

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Oct 27, 2023, 07:43:50 AMCould whoever is still not blocked by Ralfy please just gently remind him that when people say he is "working alone" they mean "he has not told anyone else what he is doing", not "he is self-employed."

@Wweyland I don't think he's ignoring you yet.  Wanna do the honors?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SiL on Oct 27, 2023, 07:43:50 AMCould whoever is still not blocked by Ralfy please just gently remind him that when people say he is "working alone" they mean "he has not told anyone else what he is doing", not "he is self-employed."

Worth a shot

S.E.B.

S.E.B.

Man, Local Trouble knows how to stir up the place! This thread man... :)

Btw. I think we need another Alien3/Egg thread! 8)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: S.E.B. on Oct 29, 2023, 05:12:19 PMMan, Local Trouble knows how to stir up the place! This thread man... :)

Btw. I think we need another Alien3/Egg thread! 8)

It would work a lot better if everyone wasn't ignoring everyone else.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 29, 2023, 02:53:37 AM

I'm slightly confused by all this. There's a chance he is a chatbot run amok?

kwisatz

kwisatz

Quote from: Wweyland on Oct 29, 2023, 07:54:53 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 29, 2023, 02:53:37 AM

I'm slightly confused by all this. There's a chance he is a chatbot run amok?

No, the other guy...

David Weyland

David Weyland

Should be careful, even chat bots have feelings these days and could get reported for bullying singling them out like this

SM

SM

Paul Reiser is my dad and he said that's not true.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SM on Oct 29, 2023, 10:47:22 PMPaul Reiser is my dad and he said that's not true.

Did he say if Burke was working?

SM

SM

Burke's always working.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed