Soundtrack...

Started by Gazz, Dec 08, 2007, 11:51:07 AM

Author
Soundtrack... (Read 11,505 times)

Gazz

Gazz

Now that I've had the OST for a number of days there is a few things I'd like to discuss to see if anyone else is having the same problems.

Whoever sorted the track listing deserves to be fired. The structure of the soundtrack is completely all over the place and has forced me to re-arrange most of the cues. The OST starts off Action heavy with the 'AvPR main theme' 'Decimation Proclamation' 'National Guard 1 & 2' and 'Taking Sides' with 'Opening Titles' and 'Requiem Epilogue' serving as the only respite. Not that I have a problem with the action but it seems that the most part of it has been lumped together for the general opening. I at least wanted a bit of suspense and hints towards what is to come later. The we have 'Requiem Epilogue', a track very suitable for closing, used so early on there is nothing to ease us out of the action. So when we do come to our closing track there is no sense of finality or resolution. It just...ends. There is no climax (or sense of equilibrium throughout) and the order of the tracks is at fault.

And it's a shame because the music is of a good standard, albeit a little messy at times. 'National Guard 1' is a personal favourite as is 'Predator Arrival' and I especially love the many nods and homage's to the films that made this franchise littered throughout the entire score. Brain Tyler proves that he can put together a great genre score but I can't help but wonder what this score would be without the homages behind it.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Gazz on Dec 08, 2007, 11:51:07 AM
Brain Tyler proves that he can put together a great genre score but I can't help but wonder what this score would be without the homages behind it.

That's my view.

My favourite is still very much 'Striptease'.

Gazz

Gazz

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 08, 2007, 12:30:50 PM

That's my view.

He does a real good job at mimicing the scores and creating what is essentially a best of montage. But there is very little expansion of the franchise.

It just really bugs me that what is at the begining of the OST should be at the end. It's incredibly action heavy and once you get through it there's nothing else of the same substance. Just an assortment of 3 minute cues till the end.

frenchpred

frenchpred

Several tracks are very suspense, like 19 " searching the poolhouse."

The score is superb, Tyler has is own style and just added much notes from all the previous movies,wich is a great idea, and he done that well.

He gave an identity to the avp franchise, opposite to Kloser, who made a decent soundtrack but without any feeling like "wow back to the roots !!".

Much songs are a mixing of suspense and action, really the whole soundtrack rocks.

Gazz

Gazz

Quote from: frenchpred on Dec 08, 2007, 01:31:19 PM
Several tracks are very suspense, like 19 " searching the poolhouse."

But there is no tension in the order of tracks. It doesn't seem to be leading me anywhere and instead just drops me in the middle of it before ending at a place of no real significance. It just ends.

QuoteThe score is superb, Tyler has is own style and just added much notes from all the previous movies,wich is a great idea, and he done that well.

I like Bryan Tyler (I liked somewhat him prior to the release of AvPR) but he doesn't bring any individuality to the soundtrack and instead presents us with a best of montage from both series. I guess thats exactly what some of the fans want, but every Composer that has worked on each installment (save for Pred 2 as it's still Silvestri) has always brought something new to the table. Here you can't go 30 seconds without a variation on an Alien/ Predator motif. I hoped the inclusion of the Pred Alien would enable him to bring in some new themes. That's another problem I have. As there is no real theme (reoccuring throughout) there really isn't any kind of pay off/ climax.

QuoteHe gave an identity to the avp franchise, opposite to Kloser, who made a decent soundtrack but without any feeling like "wow back to the roots !!".

But by simply homaging the alien and predator soundtracks he's not creating a new identity. Just a montage.

QuoteMuch songs are a mixing of suspense and action, really the whole soundtrack rocks.

With tweaks to the tracklisting I agree that it's a good soundtrack.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

This is why I'm still surprised Ragsdale was never (so far as we know) invited to do either of the films. His score for the first 'Aliens Versus Predator' game was superb, in so much as giving us back the same style of music recognised for each species, yet presenting them in a very unique melody nobody could mistake for actually being from one of the previous films.

I still use it now, for inspiration when writing fiction.

Gazz

Gazz

I think I'll look into obtaining that soundtrack Xenomorphine. I've played the game for years but never thought of it.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

The second game had a different soundtrack. The first actually came with it on an audio CD. :)

Gazz

Gazz

I have the first game (it's the only one I have). Is it on a seperate disc included with a Special Edition or something or is it with the install files?

Goombatommy

Goombatommy

I do plan on picking up the AVP-R soundtrack when it is released. From the clips I've heard, it definitely sounds good!

And to answer the above question regarding the AvP (original) game soundtrack, it IS on the install CD. Just pop it into a CD player and listen.

Commander Aun

Commander Aun

Were can u find all 21 songs of the soundtrack? Ive heard around 7 of them.

Goombatommy

Goombatommy

Quote from: Khan on Dec 08, 2007, 08:52:42 PM

I haven't listened to it in years, but I'm in work right now. When I get home I will check it out and let you know. I don't think there are 21 tracks though, 7 sounds about right. I'll let you know.

Commander Aun

Commander Aun

Quote from: Goombatommy on Dec 08, 2007, 08:56:49 PM

I haven't listened to it in years, but I'm in work right now. When I get home I will check it out and let you know. I don't think there are 21 tracks though, 7 sounds about right. I'll let you know.

Im talking about the AVP R soundtrack.

Goombatommy

Goombatommy

Quote from: Khan on Dec 08, 2007, 08:58:03 PM

Oh! I apologize, I thought you were talking about the original AvP game, released back in 1999. I'm sorry lol.

Commander Aun

Commander Aun

Quote from: Goombatommy on Dec 08, 2007, 09:01:35 PM
Quote from: Khan on Dec 08, 2007, 08:58:03 PM

Oh! I apologize, I thought you were talking about the original AvP game, released back in 1999. I'm sorry lol.

Its ok. Was the original AVP game's soundtrack any good?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed