Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 283,088 times)

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: AlienFanIL17 on May 21, 2017, 07:44:20 PM
It feels like we will hopefully get one more movie, if we are lucky, to get us to the original Alien.  I would love if we got the multiple movies that Scott has been talking about.  It just doesn't seem like people, and thus the box office returns, will support that.

One more movie for Ridley Scott I would say. Covenant hits all the right notes for me and I quite enjoy it but it appears people are rather divided. Still though, I think Ridley has it in him to deliver and am very intrigued to see David's story conclusion.

I might get crucified for saying this but I would be quite interested in seeing Cristopher Nolan direct an Alien film.

Edit: I think that if Ridley Scott does not shoot the Covenant follow up in a year (as he has planned) that he will be done with the Alien franchise. As young at heart as he might be, he is getting up there in years. 

Gash

AvP:R  cost 40 million? They should have bought some lights.

zoidy

Quote from: Gash on May 21, 2017, 08:18:31 PM
AvP:R  cost 40 million? They should have bought some lights.

Ha! I almost spilled my bottle of brewdog there.

gantarat

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 21, 2017, 06:31:31 PM
I remember after Fantastic Four was released to a critical lynching and disastrous box office result, Fox just kept on smillin' and saying that a sequel was definitely still on the cards. Then a month or so after the home release it was quietly removed from their release schedule. Can't blame them though, they have to support their product after all.

Quote from: Dino21AvP on May 21, 2017, 05:17:33 PM
I think the foreign and worldwide totals will make it successful though, especially since it had a much lower budget than Prometheus.

Only problem is that it had some massive drop-offs in the majority of foreign markets as well (compared to Prometheus). A massive 80% drop in Australia's opening weekend for example. The Asian markets are looking a bit better though, would be interesting to see how it fares in Japan and China.

Well i don't high hope too much on china.

1. No 3d.
2. Transformers.

AlienFanIL17

AlienFanIL17

@ cucuchu

"Covenant hits all the right notes for me and I quite enjoy it but it appears people are rather divided"

I really liked Covenant.  I would probably give it an 8 out 10.  My rankings would probably go Aliens, Alien, Covenant, Prometheus, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection.  Also, I think divided is an understatement, lol.

Like I said, I would love it if we got the multiple movies Scott has been talking about.  Alien is my favorite science fiction franchise.  It's better to me than Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.  I would love Alien to be able to explode to those levels of success and fan following.  I would love the two more Alien movies to get us to the original Alien.  I would love to get the two Prometheus sequels.  Give me Alien 5, 6, and 7 as well  ;D  I'll take as many Alien movies as I can get.  Even a bad Alien movie is alright in my book, because at least it's an Alien movie.

I just don't see the financials being there for Fox to give us all that.  That's why I'm just hoping we get a sequel to Covenant to get us to the original Alien.

zoidy

I don't honestly think the financials will dictate another Alien film, with Scott in charge. It will probably be Scott.

Put it this way - if Covenant isn't deemed successful, Scott will still get movies greenlit. Movies with no track record or fan base. But he'll still get the chance to make them, because he is one of the a list directors, and he makes commercial not arthouse movies.

If he wants to do it, he'll get the chance.

Corporal Hicks

It's made back it's reported budget. So probably wants double of that with the marketing to get in the green but that's not terrible. Not great either but not terrible. Depends if it can keep momentum. The American's don't seem to be too thrilled with it so word of mouth may not be great.

Ectomorph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 21, 2017, 08:55:32 PM
It's made back it's reported budget. So probably wants double of that with the marketing to get in the green but that's not terrible. Not great either but not terrible. Depends if it can keep momentum. The American's don't seem to be too thrilled with it so word of mouth may not be great.
I think it's also been a slow weekend for movies, with Memorial Day weekend coming up. I worked at a cinema in high school, and I always noticed that horror films always did much better on weekdays than other movies. I think Covenant still has a chance to do well throughout the next couple of weeks. I'm hoping to see it reach the quarter-billion mark by the time it completes its run here and overseas.

cucuchu

cucuchu

Interestingly enough, whenever I left the cinema, everyone was vocal and happy about the film. Random strangers taking to me about it as I left both times. So people in the states seem to like it from what I have seen... But that is with people familiar with the series that have probably been following the movie since it was announced. Everyone else, this seems to be flying under their radar.

Bit of a case study: A friend of mine not familiar at all with the series went with me opening night. He came over 3 hours before we were to be at the cinema so to get him caught up, I first showed him the derelict scene from Alien and then Prometheus. He enjoyed Prometheus, did not love it though. We went to see Covenant and he enjoyed it immensely and we were up till 3am talking about it afterwards. So point is that I think the movie has potential with a more general audience, the problem is that the general audience needs to be somewhat invested in the franchise to get them interested in the first place.

Word of mouth could give it some legs and a nice boost, we will just have to see.

Quote from: Ectomorph on May 21, 2017, 09:09:56 PM
I think it's also been a slow weekend for movies, with Memorial Day weekend coming up. I worked at a cinema in high school, and I always noticed that horror films always did much better on weekdays than other movies. I think Covenant still has a chance to do well throughout the next couple of weeks. I'm hoping to see it reach the quarter-billion mark by the time it completes its run here and overseas.

Hmm, memorial day weekend could give it a nice boost for sure.

Robopadna

Robopadna

Hicks, it hasn't.

The studio made 18 million in the US and 32 overseas (still waiting on the returns this weekend).

It has made back about half of only the production budget, not marketing/distribution, etc.

YutaniDitch

Quote from: Robopadna on May 21, 2017, 09:24:11 PM

Hicks, it hasn't.

The studio made 18 million in the US and 32 overseas (still waiting on the returns this weekend).

It has made back about half of only the production budget, not marketing/distribution, etc.

Still too early to call it, but do not forget the production budget is only half of the story... Marketing costs, copies, movie theaters percentage, etc... all are not contemplated... My educated guess is that 111 million is the production budget given the VFX heavy movie we got...

Corporal Hicks

Hicks, it hasn't.

I forget about the percentages thing.  :-\

Snake

Snake

Hicks, it hasn't.

I blame sites like imdb for this (apparently) disappointing result. All the negative reviews are on the first page; influencing all the sheeple.

Robopadna

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 21, 2017, 09:30:16 PM

Hicks, it hasn't.

I forget about the percentages thing.  :-\

doesn't mean it won't...  but it does have a tough hill to climb.  All in all I think it will break even when every single revenue stream and cost is accounted for.

ESPILFIRE

ESPILFIRE

Bad new... I hope a better performance on box office for guarantee a sequel (and bigger budget than AC).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed