What did Alien Covenant tell us about David and the Xenomorphs?

Started by Frosty Venom, Jan 09, 2019, 05:32:11 AM

What did Alien Covenant tell us about David and the Xenomorphs?

David is the creator of the Xenomorph species
20 (51.3%)
David recreated a strain of the Xenomorph species
8 (20.5%)
The interpretation has been left ambiguous and may be confirmed in a future film
11 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author
What did Alien Covenant tell us about David and the Xenomorphs? (Read 5,485 times)

SiL

Yeah, big difference between mystery and just not resolving your story.

ALIEN: What is the Jockey? How did it get there? Why was it carrying those eggs? Interesting questions, but totally irrelevant to the story. The film isn't about that, it's about space truckers having their brains eaten and trying to avoid that. The Jockey is fun to talk about, because at the end of the day it doesn't matter.

PROMETHEUS: What's this? What's that? Why did they make us? Why did they want to kill us? These questions literally drive the characters and the plot for the second half of the film. They're the core of the characters' journeys and the reason the story's happening. But the answer is f**k you, here's a monster on a spaceship.

To highlight how unsatisfying it is, imagine if right after Ripley discovers the Alien in the shuttle the film cuts to an Engineer climbing out of a Jockey suit, revealing their true nature. That's basically what Prometheus does.

Prometheus doesn't even have the balls to say "there is no answer", it says "tune in next time, because your answers are in another castle."

SM

Curse you, Toad.

SiL

The useless little shit ...

Necronomicon II

"There's... Nothing." - Weyland
Except for some albino body builders tending to their space gardens, planting turnips and wheat. Believe me, I know wheat.  :D

The Cruentus

And if there is a sequel to Covenant, the ending of that film and what David planned to do might not get revealed either, Ridley said he wanted to focus on A:I instead of the Alien.

Space7Horror

I feel as if no answer given would be satisfying to the audience, so better off left unanswered.  I get the annoyance of having the entire plot based around these questions and it leading nowhere.  I personally am just okay with this as I rather things be vague and have the movie tell us to essentially "screw off".  Prometheus raised these hard hitting questions and basically tells us its all pointless.  Covenant continues this by showing us that the engineers are still alive and don't plan on killing us and instead shifts the focus of the story to David and his plans.  It still raises questions and doesn't answer any from Prometheus but makes things more complicated.  The big questions of why they wanted to make us and destroy us is answered by "in order to create one must first destroy" we are nothing but a step to something else the engineers had planned.  We are nothing and the journey taken by the characters was hopeless from the start.  Essentially don't go seeking answers when those answers could reveal how pointless it all is. 
I totally agree with everyones frustration with this and understand how it is annoying, I am just personally okay with it and enjoy having discussions on the open ended questions.   

Voodoo Magic

My favorite of the unexplained... the Monolith.

SM

2001 gives us enough hints to come up with an answer though.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SM on Jan 10, 2019, 07:36:06 PM
2001 gives us enough hints to come up with an answer though.

Actually, I would say that statement is slightly inaccurate. What you should have said is "2001 gives us enough hints to come up with our own answer."

In the book, Clarke explained that extraterrestrial species called the Firstborns built the Monoliths a billions of years ago.

But the genius of director Stanley Kubrick wanted the film to be left ambiguous, open to any meaning the viewer chooses to speculate on and believe. And the way I personally choose to see it, it's the finger of God.

Now maybe if Ridley made a sequel, we would learn all about the Firstborns...  ;)  ..which might have been a huge inspiration for the Engineers, now that I think about it.

SM

QuoteActually, I would say that statement is slightly inaccurate. What you should have said is "2001 gives us enough hints to come up with our own answer."

Same thing.  I said "an answer"; not necessarily the correct answer.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SM on Jan 10, 2019, 11:14:42 PM
QuoteActually, I would say that statement is slightly inaccurate. What you should have said is "2001 gives us enough hints to come up with our own answer."

Same thing.  I said "an answer"; not necessarily the correct answer.

Ah. Fair enough!  :)

SiL

Quote from: Space7Horror on Jan 10, 2019, 02:51:29 PM
Prometheus raised these hard hitting questions and basically tells us its all pointless.
It really doesn't. Shaw is still looking. She hasn't come to the conclusion it's pointless to go on, she's come to the conclusion -- as has the film -- that the answers are just somewhere else and that she'll get them "next time".

Like I said before, Prometheus doesn't have the guts to tell us there are no answers, just that it can't be bothered giving them to you right this second.

Stitch

Quote from: SiL on Jan 10, 2019, 11:31:38 PM
It really doesn't. Shaw is still looking. She hasn't come to the conclusion it's pointless to go on, she's come to the conclusion -- as has the film -- that the answers are just somewhere else and that she'll get them "next time".

Like I said before, Prometheus doesn't have the guts to tell us there are no answers, just that it can't be bothered giving them to you right this second.
And the big problem is that there is no 'next time'. In regards to a cold, uncaring universe, that makes sense. Unfortunately, it's a fictional story within our own universe, so it should make sense, or it will just disappoint audiences. Which it did.

That's the biggest problem with Covenant. It's like watching the world cup final, extra time has passed and we're on to sudden death penalties, and everything is set up. Then the TV channel decides to change its programming and put on a film. It can be the greatest film in the world, but it won't satisfy the audience because they've been primed for the penalties.

Space7Horror

I like that the film leaves us with these questions.  It may have promised answers in the future but I am okay not having them,  it leaves us wanting more and I think that's a good thing. 

SiL

But it doesn't leave you wanting more of the universe, it leaves you wanting those specific questions answered. And then they don't get answered.

That's kind'a lame from where I'm standing but if you enjoy, you're the one winning here :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed