Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 184,786 times)

The Old One

The Old One

It performs a sex act without consent therefore- rape, I don't get what you don't understand about that.

Magegg

For the xeno AND it's prey it's not a sex act. Not in the "human-to-human" connotation sex has, which is always controversial for American Westerners at least.

It's a reproduction act.

But again, the series doesn't entirely revolve around the connotations of that supposed "sex act".

The Old One

The Old One

No, it is. If a woman uses an object on another woman for instance in a nonconsensual "sexual" manner, it's regardless; rape.

Magegg

Magegg

So, when I catch fungus in my foot is the fungus raping me because it's using me to reproduce?  ::)

Facehugger is not and never the same as rape. Not the same level of violence. If the monster attacked you in the genitals and its only way of killing was the face-hugging reproducting, maybe you could have a better point that the Alien series is all about rape.

But nope. The main villain in the movies is the adult version of the Alien. And sometimes, the queen, who doesn't rape at all. Aliens and Resurrection have a much much much more prominent motherhood theme than a rape theme. Alien and Alien 3 have a rape theme and abortion theme if you could say. And don't get me started with Prometheus and Covenant.

Even Alien is mostly a regular slasher movie formula, it doesn't even explore rape as the "raped" being doesn't suffer psychological consequences and is killed in 3 minutes or so.

But even with that, all the movies have a lot more about that supposed "rape" theme.

Future Alien movies can perfectly be PG-13 rated and still have interesting and fascinating storyline without that 'rape focus' you all seem to be married with.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Ok guys please chill. Don't take it any further.

(and by the way, the Alien's life cycle has always, obviously been a metaphor for sexual violation or rape as spoken by the creators themselves; this hasn't forbid filmmakers to create a PG-13 AvP film with that notion, which of course would go over a teen's head, but was indeed thematically restrained)

Samhain13

Things are getting off topic, anyone can have their own vision/interpretation of the movies and the creatures.

Well I hope that with Disney, the next movies somehow go into a different direction.

Nukiemorph

I hope we get SOMETHING to close the gap between Covenant and Alien, even if it's just a comic or something.

As for where else to take the franchise, I just hope they don't remake or retcon any movies.  Set it after Resurrection, in the "safe zone" where there's less to screw up.

The Old One

The Old One

No. I already specified, the seeking of reproduction doesn't equate to rape.
Rape's a sex act, specifically an act of being restrained and forced to partake in a sex act.

The "Fungus" isn't forcing a phallus object down your throat nonconsensually.
That makes it rape, without even including the part where it forces you to bear it's offspring.
All the "Aliens" in all ALIEN® media can not exist without the presence of said rape.

The creature is from head to toe, sexualized with a large phallus head- with a smaller phallus
mouth emerging from it's mouth (teeth abound) which it uses to penetrate it's victims, or a tail
which it also uses to penetrate it's victims (between the legs, where our sex organs are).

Your argument is exactly what you're arguing for the Alien series to be, ironically; toothless.

Magegg

Tbh I mostly hope for a reboot. A new beginning with a new Ripley.

With Covenant, the two prequels exited of my headcanon anyway.

Samhain13

Quote from: David's Creation on Feb 06, 2019, 07:44:14 PM
I hope we get SOMETHING to close the gap between Covenant and Alien, even if it's just a comic or something.

I have been thinking about that, I would prefer David's story to end without Ridley. Make a comic/novel sequel to Covenant and finish it all.

I just hope they don't remake or retcon any movies.  Set it after Resurrection, in the "safe zone" where there's less to screw up.

Me too, I don't get why they didn't set the last EU entries after Resurrection, much easier to fit in with the rest of the stuff. Same goes for movies, after Ressurection there are much places the series can go.

The Old One

The Old One

A new Ellen Ripley? Or a new protagonist?

The former seems pointless, you can't replace Sigourney Weaver and you can't make a film better than ALIEN (1979).

But you can make new interesting characters, Blue, Dorian, Church, David etc.
And that's only those actually in Alien media.

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 06, 2019, 07:48:58 PMNo. I already specified, the seeking of reproduction doesn't equate to rape.
Rape's a sex act, specifically an act of being restrained and forced to partake in a sex act.
That makes it rape, without even including the part where it forces you to bear it's offspring.
All the "Aliens" in all ALIEN® media can not exist without the presence of said rape.
Wasn't Lope infected by a fungus?

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 06, 2019, 07:48:58 PMThe creature is from head to toe, sexualized with a large phallus head- with a smaller phallus
mouth emerging from it's mouth (teeth abound) which it uses to penetrate it's victims, or a tail
which it also uses to penetrate it's victims (between the legs, where our sex organs are).

Your argument is exactly what you're arguing for the Alien series to be, ironically; toothless.
I don't argue against the phallic nature of the xeno. But the whole rape isn't an actual theme, just an undertone.

What's most sensitive about rape is the psychological consequences, and in Alien we don't see any. Kane's killed in 3 minutes after his encounter with the fh and doesn't have any psychological consequence.

That argument about "No, he was psycho-sexually deeply traumatized but acted chill because he repressed it", I can't accept. Kane's attitude was mostly the one of a person who suffered the attack of a weird, unknown creature, and survived without knowing exactly what happened.
Anyway, psychological consequences are not explored; we can't know them because the "rape victim" was killed in three minutes or so, as that wasn't the point of the movie.

The movie isn't about rape, that isn't the theme. It is about survival. About dealing with the deadly adult xeno.

Now, the only Alien movie that's been upfront about rape and its tolls, is Alien 3. There you got.

The Kurgan

Magegg

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 06, 2019, 07:53:05 PMA new Ellen Ripley?
New Ellen Ripley.

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 06, 2019, 07:53:05 PMyou can't replace Sigourney Weaver
That's been said a lot about many other recasts in movie history.

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 06, 2019, 07:53:05 PMand you can't make a film better than ALIEN (1979).
So, what's the point of asking for more Alien movies? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 06, 2019, 07:53:05 PMBut you can make new interesting characters, Blue, Dorian, Church, David etc.
And that's only those actually in Alien media.
Ripley's the historic protagonist of the Alien story, and I don't see anything bad with the character. Have a new version of her, with new adventures.

I'm not even asking for an Alien or Aliens remake.

The reboot can be about rape, if you want it (as a SJW I love those themes being brought to the table). I just think there's no point or value on keeping on with the old continuity, it's already so much wrecked. A fresh start is better.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 06, 2019, 07:50:32 PM
I just hope they don't remake or retcon any movies.  Set it after Resurrection, in the "safe zone" where there's less to screw up.

Me too, I don't get why they didn't set the last EU entries after Resurrection, much easier to fit in with the rest of the stuff. Same goes for movies, after Resurrection there are much places the series can go.

Agreed.

All entries in the series that have forced the inclusion of something/someone Ripley have suffered from it.
Isolation's a fluke, that succeeded because Amanda Ripley had no character- we filled her shoes.
So when she was saying goodbye to Ellen Ripley for the last time, so were we.

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 06, 2019, 07:56:06 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Feb 06, 2019, 07:48:58 PMNo. I already specified, the seeking of reproduction doesn't equate to rape.
Wasn't Lope infected by a fungus?

No, Ledward. Lope is Facehugged.
And that's part of the whole point of Covenant,
David turned it into a rape monster.

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 06, 2019, 07:56:06 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Feb 06, 2019, 07:48:58 PMThe creature is from head to toe, sexualized with a large phallus head- with a smaller phallus

What's most sensitive about rape is the psychological consequences...

Incorrect, keep digging that hole.

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 06, 2019, 07:59:32 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Feb 06, 2019, 07:53:05 PM
you can't replace Sigourney Weaver as Ripley
and you can't make a film better than ALIEN (1979).
So, what's the point of asking for more Alien movies? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To tell a new story using the universe of Alien? Not Ripley's story again?

I'm saying you can't make a better film than Alien 1979 starring Ripley.
The two are not separate statements, you'd be better off telling a new story.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed