Dan Trachtenberg To Direct New Standalone ‘Predator’ Movie ‘Badlands’ As 20th Ce

Started by MudButt, Feb 09, 2024, 06:03:51 PM

Author
Dan Trachtenberg To Direct New Standalone ‘Predator’ Movie ‘Badlands’ As 20th Ce (Read 31,954 times)

Kailem

At this point you could argue that Predator has a better batting average than Alien as far as the series with the most number of good movies goes. It's not like Alien on its own without anything Predator-related is all gold either.

ReViliTy

Future could be in reference to a time period after Prey.  Battle of the Badlands?

[cancerblack]

I'd argue that Alien hasn't had a bad film at all, although one has problems and one is too weird for most people.

Predator has 3 great films, an alright but bland one, and a true stinker.

AvP has yet to do anything good on film at all, but I'd be fine with things being merged if something good was made, and the previous ones thrown in the trash where they belong.

[cancerblack]

You're over-thinking it. Future means our future.

Kailem

I'm certainly not going to defend the AVP movies we got, but the concept itself has so much untapped potential (on film) that at the very least I wouldn't want to see a new Predator movie that might conceivably be set around the same sort of timeframe as Alien to totally invalidate even the possibility of them taking place in the same universe.

I'd be fine with it not making/having any Alien references at all and just focus on being a damn good Predator movie, but it'd suck if they were like "in a future where androids and AI were immediately outlawed because blahblahblah" and have it be pretty much impossible to ever link the two again.

[cancerblack]

I'd even be fine with some explicit Alien (more likely Aliens) tech showing up in a future-set Predator movie. I was just addressing your question about why people would want things separate right now.

Kailem

Fair point. I wouldn't be thrilled with seeing another AVP movie if they somehow managed to mess it up yet again either. But I'm definitely down for them slowly building up to it with these upcoming Alien and Predator movies and hopefully doing it right this time.

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

Some gotta remember that while Disney is the parent company now, 20th Century Studios still very much runs as its own entity, and never stopped. The Mouse isn't making all the decisions.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 09, 2024, 08:57:36 PMhttps://twitter.com/DDNumeroUno/status/1756049392501661905

I knew it.

Nightmare Asylum

Yep, lot of credit where credit is due to what Steve Asbell has been pulling off these last few years. His head seems to be in the right place.

RIP77

RIP77

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 09, 2024, 07:31:01 PM
Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Feb 09, 2024, 07:29:05 PMBut for real! I hope they do a theatrical release too. I like to think that they'd learned a huge lesson with watching PREY do so well and it not bringing in ticket sales.

Shifting Alien: Romulus from Hulu to theatrical definitely felt like them acknowledging that mistake and directly responding to Prey's success, so here's hoping that continues into the future indeed.

Bob Iger explained this.

The Creator, A Haunting in Venice, Romulus,...and more movies Fox  to Hulu before Iger returns Disney.

Bob Iger changue this. Iger Want PREY in cinema but late return to Disney.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: RIP77 on Feb 09, 2024, 09:37:12 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 09, 2024, 07:31:01 PM
Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Feb 09, 2024, 07:29:05 PMBut for real! I hope they do a theatrical release too. I like to think that they'd learned a huge lesson with watching PREY do so well and it not bringing in ticket sales.

Shifting Alien: Romulus from Hulu to theatrical definitely felt like them acknowledging that mistake and directly responding to Prey's success, so here's hoping that continues into the future indeed.

Bob Iger explained this.

The Creator, A Haunting in Venice, Romulus,...and more movies Fox  to Hulu before Iger returns Disney.

Bob Iger changue this. Iger Want PREY in cinema but late return to Disney.

Plenty of other 20th Century Fox/Studios films released theatrically between Disney's acquisition of Fox and the time that their obligation to send their theatrical releases to HBO Max for a bit of time lapsed. They bit the bullet on theatrical releases for plenty of other movies while that HBO deal was in place, but not for Prey. If they knew that Prey was going to be the smash hit it ended up being, I think they would have been willing to lose the streaming rights to HBO for a window of time in exchange for the $$$ that a theatrical release would have brought in, especially since they would have just gotten the streaming rights back again in a year or so anyways.

T Dog

f**kin' A! Looking forward to seeing what they come up with. Badlands to me suggests old west/desert, interesting that they say it's future set.

XENOMORPHOSIS

:o  Wow I put my phone down a few hours I check the Internet and the new Predator out of nowhere now confirmed. Was pleasantly surprised to the quality of Prey and I wish them well on what's to come.

Wysps

Future, or far off future?  "Badlands" gives very Borderlands-sounding vibes to me and immediately makes me think of future Alien tie-in (not wishing for this to be honest.)

I love the "host of projects" that the article mentioned.  Prey has definitely reinvigorated the franchise, it's a good time to be a fan  ;D

morseman

Well ok then :)

I thought Prey was excellent and really tapped into the feel of Predator 87's third act with Dutch's preparation and the general feeling of solitude. If they can up the sense of dread and unease on this one I'll be all for it.

Not too keen on the idea of 'universe' however, we all saw how The Predator ended up...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed