Box Office Takings for The Predator

Started by Tetsujin, Jul 20, 2018, 05:00:59 PM

Author
Box Office Takings for The Predator (Read 84,163 times)

Perfect-Organism

I guess we'll see about the novelization when it comes out.

Anyway, we are off topic, but we were talking about future films.  Isolation has enough in it that it could be made into a good film.  The main character just has to start on one value, and end up on another.

A3 is perfect (almost) for what it tries to be.  An alternate telling of a post-Aliens reality may also be perfect.

Huggs

Huggs

Amanda was rescued and lived her life. Future Comics and videogames aside, that's enough. She found out what happened to her mother, and likely realized that she lacked the resources and connections to find her little needle in a stack of space. She moved on, and did what Burke said she did. Now, it's just my opinion, but I personally don't see the need to go any further in-depth with her character.  It's certainly not film worthy.

As for Alien 3. To some it's great. To some it's terrible. Either way, after the different cuts, it's as good as it's going to get. It was made, it has it's place. Retconning it with something else is just like probing around in an old wound. For good or bad, it's in slot number 3. Best not to pollute it further with even more craziness like retconning.

With regards to the future of the franchise on film, somebody in charge needs to remember that it takes place in the future. Humans are working in space. Hypersleep is a reality. The money and manpower apparently exist to send regular people across vast distances, just for Ore. Something tells me it's quite possible for people other than the Ripley's to run into something nasty out there in the dark. I'd like to see some new characters, in new situations, that don't involve the past, or over-emphasis on artificial intelligence. We've yet to see the future, post Ripley. At least, not one that can be taken seriously.

The Old One

The Old One

I love The Cold Forge, so...

New stories, new characters- new vision.
AlienĀ³ revision? David Fincher, no other.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Oct 21, 2018, 10:21:55 PM
I've said it before and will again, the only person with any business remaking AlienĀ³ is David Fincher.

The odds of that though. It's such a shame. I thought his style meshed quite well with the franchise.

Vermillion

Quote from: Vermillion on Jul 24, 2018, 01:40:11 PM
The $65m is still very optimistic

$55m is probably the top domestic

I stand by it.

I hate being almost right.

skull-splitter

Quote from: Vermillion on Oct 27, 2018, 03:16:48 AM
Quote from: Vermillion on Jul 24, 2018, 01:40:11 PM
The $65m is still very optimistic

$55m is probably the top domestic

I stand by it.

I hate being almost right.

Domestic is overrated.

Voodoo Magic

Looks like 14 Million in two days in China. Guessing an approximate 20 Million opening weekend?

whiterabbit

The domestic run is all but over and if this opens to 20 million in china... man this is one disappointing outing.

skull-splitter

127 mil at the moment, a month before home release.
Good enough to venture another one in ten years or so, unless Disney puts the lid on it.

I'd try establishing a more linked universe on the background through videogames and combine it with a properly planned roadmap for the franchise instead of just pop them out like firecrackers with no sense of direction other than try different approaches.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

That worldwide: $127,481,403 gross is as of October 25th, so China will add on top of that.

Anyone want to stab a guess where it will end up?  Maybe 160 Mill?

Quote from: skull-splitter on Oct 28, 2018, 11:47:25 AM
I'd try establishing a more linked universe on the background through videogames and combine it with a properly planned roadmap for the franchise instead of just pop them out like firecrackers with no sense of direction other than try different approaches.
A netfix series or equivalent is also a possibility, but that idea might live or die on how successful the Alien series is (if it even comes to fruition).

Huggs

Huggs

Don't forget the advertising expenses, which can be considerable. It might still break even, or just barely over.

DerelictShip

How much was put into it total?

Voodoo Magic

I don't think bottom line totals are ever officially released to the public. And too often I hear studio representation say what we find on the internet in regards to budgetary & promotional expenses are off, yet they never seem to oblige us with the corrections.

So ultimately I think we'll never know.  It will always remain a guessing game, especially when gauging a state of "breaking even" with movies that are just moderately successful.

whiterabbit

Well the reported budget is 88 million and considering that studio execs seemed to be wary of it's performance. I don't think the marketing budget was all that big. However I also don't think they added in the cost of reshoots, so probably just add another 40m to the 88m reported. It could make some coin in home/streaming sales but I don't think it's as good a deal for the studio in the last decade or so.

Samhain13

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 28, 2018, 12:00:34 PM
Anyone want to stab a guess where it will end up?  Maybe 160 Mill?

Something like that. I find it hard to believe it will make over 2 times its budget. China will decide its fate.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed