Dark Horse Announces "Predator: Life and Death" (FaS-style Crossover)

Started by Ultramorph, Dec 11, 2015, 12:07:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces "Predator: Life and Death" (FaS-style Crossover) (Read 137,276 times)

happypred

happypred

Won't be the first time we see a Yautja sword though (Predator 2, AvP War, Predator Bad Blood)...good stuff

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 12, 2016, 04:28:02 PM
Of course we can respectfully disagree.  Just because the AVP film delved into some "Ancient Aliens visiting us" themes doesn't mean that the idea worked well.  In fact, one could say that the AVP film fell flat with what it attempted to do by involving Predators in our history.  This idea presented in AVP did not work anywhere near as well as it did in Prometheus, and that is because the idea of Predators guiding us along comes across as silly whereas the idea of Engineers is compelling.  Why?  Exactly.  Because the idea of Engineers creating us, opens up the mystery of why they created us and also why we create androids.  The question itself is a high brow idea.  When we are faced with Predators guiding us along, the only answer we can put forth is that so they can hunt us.  That is simply not compelling and rather low brow.

But don't get me wrong, the Predator films and world is still enjoyable, it is just not on the same playing field as Aliens.  But that is just my opinion, and we all have our own justifiable perspectives...

The potential depth of the Predator franchise is not limited to the Ancient Aliens angle...

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Yup, that Predator seems to be an entirely original (awesome) design, though some elements of the helmet remind me a bit of Enforcer from Bad Blood. I like the possible
Spoiler
competition Abnett is setting up between W-Y and Seegson as far as exploiting Engineer tech goes. All this has me really wondering what the "big crossover" that's coming later in the year will be.
[close]

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Ultramorph on Feb 13, 2016, 03:43:27 PM
Yup, that Predator seems to be an entirely original (awesome) design, though some elements of the helmet remind me a bit of Enforcer from Bad Blood. I like the possible
Spoiler
competition Abnett is setting up between W-Y and Seegson as far as exploiting Engineer tech goes. All this has me really wondering what the "big crossover" that's coming later in the year will be.
[close]

What big crossover!? Oh shit! This has me ultra excited now dude!

Ultramorph

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Feb 13, 2016, 04:38:04 PM

From Randy's interview with Diamond Daily (the bolding is mine):
QuoteRS: Absolutely. In addition to the Life and Death story cycle, Brian Wood and Tristan Jones are producing a new series called Aliens: Defiance, which is set prior to the film Aliens and Ripley's ill-fated return to LV-426. There's also a big crossover that I can't talk about yet scheduled for later in the year. Sorry, you'll just have to wait. And, for Twentieth Century Fox's official Aliens Day— April 26 (4.26, get it?)—we're publishing a gorgeous over-sized collection of our very first Aliens series, by Mark Verheiden and Mark A. Nelson. It's all in glorious black-and-white, with the original dialogue (i.e. without the changes instituted after the events Alien3 altered continuity), and includes every scrap of Mark Nelson Aliens art we could get our hands on.

I'm excited too.  ;D If I had to guess what it is, I would say maybe
Spoiler
the characters from Defiance, FaS, and Life and Death come together?
[close]

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Ultramorph on Feb 13, 2016, 05:48:34 PM
Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Feb 13, 2016, 04:38:04 PM

From Randy's interview with Diamond Daily (the bolding is mine):
QuoteRS: Absolutely. In addition to the Life and Death story cycle, Brian Wood and Tristan Jones are producing a new series called Aliens: Defiance, which is set prior to the film Aliens and Ripley's ill-fated return to LV-426. There's also a big crossover that I can't talk about yet scheduled for later in the year. Sorry, you'll just have to wait. And, for Twentieth Century Fox's official Aliens Day— April 26 (4.26, get it?)—we're publishing a gorgeous over-sized collection of our very first Aliens series, by Mark Verheiden and Mark A. Nelson. It's all in glorious black-and-white, with the original dialogue (i.e. without the changes instituted after the events Alien3 altered continuity), and includes every scrap of Mark Nelson Aliens art we could get our hands on.

I'm excited too.  ;D If I had to guess what it is, I would say maybe
Spoiler
the characters from Defiance, FaS, and Life and Death come together?
[close]

That would be exciting!

One thing though.

Spoiler
Isn't Defiance set a bit after Isolation? Those character would be pretty old by this point if Life and Death is after Fire and Stone. Unless medical sciences improved significantly.

I ask that because Defiance is between Isolation and Aliens (2135-2179) if I'm not mistaken, while Fire and Stone is in 2219 and Life and Death may be after this.

We have yet to see extreme longevity in this franchise that does not involve consuming Predators during those eras before Rage War. Only the Founders found a way and look what it did to them. XD
[close]

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Yeah, there are definitely obstacles to that happening, but remember,
Spoiler
in this universe extended cryosleep can carry anyone as far forward as the writers need.  ;)

Personally, I would be happy if it turned out that Seegson was in league with the dog-aliens to exploit Engineer tech or something crazy like that. I really hope one day we see The Rage and the dog-aliens in comic form.

Also, I'm curious to see how Life and Death "intersects" with Fire and Stone, especially now that we know that Tartarus isn't LV-223.
[close]

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Ultramorph on Feb 13, 2016, 06:07:48 PM
Yeah, there are definitely obstacles to that happening, but remember,
Spoiler
in this universe extended cryosleep can carry anyone as far forward as the writers need.  ;)

Personally, I would be happy if it turned out that Seegson was in league with the dog-aliens to exploit Engineer tech or something crazy like that. I really hope one day we see The Rage and the dog-aliens in comic form.

Also, I'm curious to see how Life and Death "intersects" with Fire and Stone, especially now that we know that Tartarus isn't LV-223.
[close]

Oh yeah, that's true.
Spoiler

I would love to see Rage War adapted into a comic or even a cartoon film or trilogy of sorts. To see the Rage and Dog-Aliens. I'm also hoping to see the Arcturians.

I would love to see a spin off "first contact" scenario with humanity and the Arcturians.
[close]

Ultramorph

Dark Horse and Titan Books did work together to make River of Pain and Aliens: FaS fit together, so who knows, they could collaborate on something bigger in the future.

happypred

Might enjoy a Rage War comic more than I have the so-so novel

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: happypred on Feb 14, 2016, 03:06:50 AM

I totally agree with that.  I hope they adapt this into comic format.  The Aliens Predator universe is so visually rich that it would probably really elevate the story...

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 14, 2016, 04:28:06 AM
Quote from: happypred on Feb 14, 2016, 03:06:50 AM

I totally agree with that.  I hope they adapt this into comic format.  The Aliens Predator universe is so visually rich that it would probably really elevate the story...

I agree. I would love to see those Marine combat suits in comic form. The book doesn't describe them physically all that much other than that they are very fitting and the mask is almost skin tight, almost. But we don't even know what colour this flexible Nanosuit like armour is. So I imagine it as black just like the Crysis Nanosuits.  :P

But seeing a picture of it would be epic.

And also 27th century ships, and the Predator stuff in the book would be cool to see.

Corporal Hicks

Quote#Predator: Life & Death #1 Exclusive Variant Cover by @wheatley_doug for @friedpiecomics http://friedpiecomics.com/post/139177448613/predator-life-and-death-1-publisher-dark-horse

426Buddy

Great cover, love the marine helmets on those skulls.

Ultramorph

That's awesome! Just the small bit of Engineer interior stuff in the background reminds me how great Doug Wheatley's art was in Destroying Angels. It would be awesome if he was doing one of the L&D series.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed