What do you want to see in Romulus?

Started by littlesprout, Jan 07, 2023, 11:15:22 PM

Author
What do you want to see in Romulus? (Read 48,089 times)

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Neila on Apr 02, 2024, 01:44:21 PMA3 has made me a fan of the brand

A certain well known still from A3 was my first glimpse of the Alien and I instantly fell in love.

Local Trouble

Was it this?

[cancerblack]

::)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Apr 02, 2024, 08:42:59 PM

A certain well known still from A3 was my first glimpse of the Alien and I instantly fell in love.

Given Fincher's feelings about the movie, I was very shocked to see a visual nod to that shot in an episode of Love Death + Robots.

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

Quote from: Neila on Apr 02, 2024, 01:44:21 PM
Quote from: E. Shaw on Mar 31, 2024, 05:48:31 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Mar 31, 2024, 03:36:21 PMI love what they did on alien 3 personally.

Alien3 has actually become my second favorite of the films. Never thought that would happen. :)

times are changing.

When I first watched it I didn't know what to think of it. Today I just love this film.
A3 has made me a fan of the brand

It to me always has been a good Alien film. I think the Trilogy is perfect, but recently Alien3 has become cathartic, the realization that "your ass is already on the line, what are you gonna do about it?" And while at first I felt the film was about despair and how it is hopless, it actually had hope riddled in it; the Convicts give their lives to stop the Dragon, men who would be written off by society saved it. And Ripley, who sacrifices herself too. The decision to add her transmission from Alien at the end is sublime; that she survived The Nostromo, and Hadley's Hope, but not Fury 161.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 02, 2024, 08:55:48 PMGiven Fincher's feelings about the movie, I was very shocked to see a visual nod to that shot in an episode of Love Death + Robots.

I think it's a trope of Fincher's so it's probably one of his favorite shots of the movie.  He did something similar in Seven.

E. Shaw

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Apr 02, 2024, 08:42:59 PM

Was it this?

BigDaddyJohn

That shot is so good.

BlueMarsalis79

He also basically remade the film, but not as good, and actually nihilistic in theming this time with Bad Travelling.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Apr 03, 2024, 07:37:09 AMThat shot is so good.

I think that shot may have been inspired by "Girl's Head beside a Skull" painted by Rex Whistler.

Ridley heavily references classical paintings in his films, and Fincher being a close student of Ridley would likely have followed suit.

BigDaddyJohn

It sure look like so.

E. Shaw

Quote from: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯 on Apr 03, 2024, 01:14:34 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Apr 03, 2024, 07:37:09 AMThat shot is so good.

I think that shot may have been inspired by "Girl's Head beside a Skull" painted by Rex Whistler.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GHqtsKLWgAA3-dq?format=jpg&name=large
Ridley heavily references classical paintings in his films, and Fincher being a close student of Ridley would likely have followed suit.

Nice catch! It does indeed look like an inspiration for the scene.

BigDaddyJohn

I remember Ridley Scott referenced a Henry Fuseli painting in Covenant when the neomorph is eating the girl's body before Oram kills it.

E. Shaw

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Apr 03, 2024, 07:39:15 PMI remember Ridley Scott referenced a Henry Fuseli painting in Covenant when the neomorph is eating the girl's body before Oram kills it.

The Neomorph in David's lab and the one eating reminded me of Sir Francis Bacon's paintings:

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: E. Shaw on Apr 03, 2024, 08:12:52 PMThe Neomorph in David's lab and the one eating reminded me of Sir Francis Bacon's paintings:

I actually think Bacon's triptychs are mentioned in the Covenant novelization.

EDIT: Yep, there's one in the White Room with Peter Weyland and David!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed