What do you want to see in Romulus?

Started by littlesprout, Jan 07, 2023, 11:15:22 PM

Author
What do you want to see in Romulus? (Read 48,046 times)

[cancerblack]

Blake's The Ghost of a Flea is also surprisingly familiar. He even has the cup.

BigDaddyJohn

Maybe other paintings will be referenced in Romulus, although I suspect it's less Alvarez's thing.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Apr 03, 2024, 08:27:05 PMMaybe other paintings will be referenced in Romulus, although I suspect it's less Alvarez's thing.

Less art, more "arrrrrrrgh!"

SiL

SiL

Giger was also inspired by Bacon's triptych, which is most apparent in his original chest burster designs.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Apr 03, 2024, 07:39:15 PMI remember Ridley Scott referenced a Henry Fuseli painting in Covenant when the neomorph is eating the girl's body before Oram kills it.

Most people on here probably know this by now, but an Arnold Böcklin painting called Isle of the Dead also made it into Covenant. Böcklin actually created several variations of this painting:

Several other artists later painted homages of this work including fellow Swiss artist, HR Giger:

The recreation of the painting in Covenant is of course more closely based on the Böcklin version since that work is now in the public domain while Giger's version isn't.

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯 on Apr 04, 2024, 09:57:52 AM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Apr 03, 2024, 07:39:15 PMI remember Ridley Scott referenced a Henry Fuseli painting in Covenant when the neomorph is eating the girl's body before Oram kills it.

Most people on here probably know this by now, but an Arnold Böcklin painting called Isle of the Dead also made it into Covenant. Böcklin actually created several variations of this painting:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENSrhwxWwAA90Zy?format=jpg&name=large
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/65/Arnold_B%C3%B6cklin_-_Die_Toteninsel_III_%28Alte_Nationalgalerie%2C_Berlin%29.jpg/800px-Arnold_B%C3%B6cklin_-_Die_Toteninsel_III_%28Alte_Nationalgalerie%2C_Berlin%29.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/de/Arnold_B%C3%B6cklin_-_Die_Toteninsel_I_%28Basel%2C_Kunstmuseum%29.jpg/800px-Arnold_B%C3%B6cklin_-_Die_Toteninsel_I_%28Basel%2C_Kunstmuseum%29.jpg
Several other artists later painted homages of this work including fellow Swiss artist, HR Giger:

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh28IpDQgs05H2xJLcS3qSLjg57CJTyn8aLJDELicBIkxxr8dqPBZMdBu-RLGMpF9MnZfMPw6us2-s2r-TfAraFEygdz9XZJFau5yhi-MZDAgCRf52GP14xZ8bgI6Z5T1Xc2E-t0xRrBqJe/s280/350.jpg
The recreation of the painting in Covenant is of course more closely based on the Böcklin version since that work is now in the public domain while Giger's version isn't.
I would be very happy if they did it again.. with the Giger aesthetic.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯 on Apr 04, 2024, 10:46:39 AMWas referenced in Excalibur as well. Lady of the Lake.

Love Boorman's Excalibur so much. Been in the mood to revisit lately.

Boasts some really incredible cinematography from Alex Thomson, who also shot Ridley Scott's Legend... a movie that I find would make for an incredible double feature with Alien: Covenant. But that's a rambling rant for another time. :laugh:

Immortan Jonesy

You have to alter the lighting in the image to see it as it is quite dark, but there is a reference to a painting by William Blake on the door of the Engineers Cathedral; two tall Virgin Mary-like figures.

It's more detailed in this concept art by Wayne Haag.

'The Body of Christ Borne to the Tomb' is the name of the painting.

BigDaddyJohn

I heard Scott was fond of paintings, but damn that's a lot of references.

BlueMarsalis79

Nightmare Asylum

God, Covenant is so cool.

BigDaddyJohn

Yes that's the one. It's pretty creepy.

Salt The Fries

The way Rosenthal's detached head spins in a fountain of blood is in itself very Gothic and poetic.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed