Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 214,838 times)

Kradan

Which side do you see yourself on ?

426Buddy

426Buddy

I haven't been keen on anything Ridley says regarding this series since Prometheus. He also torpedoed Blomkamp and while I didn't like the sound of that film it's still a major d*ck move. He just comes off as very "my shit don't stink" and when you hear stories from the crew he comes off at insecure and petty. Especially when it comes to this franchise. Others may handwaive by saying he's being tongue and cheek but I call BS. There is a very long history of comments and behavior here.

So I'm in the first group. I think he's a great filmmaker but I also think he's arrogant and petty. I like Covenant and would like to see David again but, like Hicks, I don't trust him to not completely screw it up. I don't think he ever wanted to do anything with this franchise other than use it and change it into something completely different.

I think he's better suited to working on singular films and should be kept far away from franchises because he can't play well with others. The more acclaim he gets the less room there is for others to have creative input on his projects.

Kradan

Quote from: 426Buddy on Oct 15, 2021, 07:26:08 PM
I don't think he ever wanted to do anything with this franchise other than use it and change it into something completely different.

Doesn't sound too bad to me

But I see your point

Evanus

I don't see him directing more Alien stuff anyway -  it truly sounds like he's done with the creature, and I doubt 20th/Disney want to do another Prometheus. Maybe a spinoff series? But idk honestly. Maybe the new TV series is a massive hit and succeeds in making the aliens truly scary again, resulting in Scott changing his mind (again) about the beast being cooked.  :P

I just hope we'll get to see David again somehow.

426Buddy

I feel that Scott had enough cachet that he could have made an original Sci-Fi universe focused specifically on ancient aliens and AI.

I never understood why someone who thinks the Alien is cooked would come back to the Alien franchise.  The last person I want making an Alien film is someone who wants nothing to do with the Alien.

Kradan

Quote from: Evanus on Oct 15, 2021, 08:07:18 PM
Maybe the new TV series is a massive hit and succeeds in making the aliens truly scary again, resulting in Scott changing his mind (again) about the beast being cooked.  :P

New Alien movie coming soon in 2055 ! Directed by Ridley Scott's ghost

XENOMORPHOSIS

Ridley this is very poor form to belittle a fellow colleague.

Voodoo Magic

I haven't been keen on anything Ridley says regarding this series since Prometheus. He also torpedoed Blomkamp and while I didn't like the sound of that film it's still a major d*ck move. He just comes off as very "my shit don't stink" and when you hear stories from the crew he comes off at insecure and petty. Especially when it comes to this franchise. Others may handwaive by saying he's being tongue and cheek but I call BS. There is a very long history of comments and behavior here.

So I'm in the first group. I think he's a great filmmaker but I also think he's arrogant and petty. I like Covenant and would like to see David again but, like Hicks, I don't trust him to not completely screw it up. I don't think he ever wanted to do anything with this franchise other than use it and change it into something completely different.

I think he's better suited to working on singular films and should be kept far away from franchises because he can't play well with others. The more acclaim he gets the less room there is for others to have creative input on his projects.

I think I need to stand up and clap now....

David Weyland

Maybe the deal is a whole series is devoted to finish the third prequel story, Scott gets his hand on influencing its outcome across 10 hours rather than the 2 and a bit hours if he had direct control of a stand-alone film and that's fine by him

Immortan Jonesy

I agree with everybody.

Yes, Ridley, your film, the result of a collaborative effort, is a true masterpiece hard to match.

I gree folks, Ridley used this I.P as a catapult for his not-Alien sci-fi concept. I also want to see David again (my favorite villain of all movies) but it's time for new creative talents, even if that means no more prequels. Although taking into account the recent video game, among other examples of media, fortunately (or unfortunately for others) the lore of the prequels remains intact.

Quote from: Evanus on Oct 15, 2021, 03:05:56 PM
I love the prequels, but I have to admit the best thing Scott has done for the franchise since the original film is torpedoing Alien 5.  :laugh:

:laugh:

Quote from: David Weyland on Oct 15, 2021, 11:42:14 PM
Maybe the deal is a whole series is devoted to finish the third prequel story, Scott gets his hand on influencing its outcome across 10 hours rather than the 2 and a bit hours if he had direct control of a stand-alone film and that's fine by him

I would like the prequels to be addressed in the series in some way.  8)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I think he's better suited to working on singular films and should be kept far away from franchises because he can't play well with others.

Fitting, in a series that has pretty much constantly been a string of filmmakers pulling the rug out from the people that came before them. ;)

---

The more acclaim he gets the less room there is for others to have creative input on his projects.

I think there's room within the Alien universe for a wide array of different voices and creative styles - that's probably the single foremost appeal of the series to me, the fact that each and every filmmaker that tackles it does their own unique thing with the material. With Hawley as the showrunner here, I do hope to see him follow in the tradition of his predecessors in that regard and bring something new and interesting to the table.

That being said, Ridley is currently in the midst of a particular sub-story within the larger Alien tapestry that is, as of yet, unfinished, and knowing that he is involved in this show here, in whatever limited capacity that may be under his umbrella as Executive Producer, does have me hopeful that some of his fingerprints might find themselves on this particular outing as well. Given Disney/20th Century Studios' seeming reluctance to move forward on a proper theatrical Covenant sequel, this may very well be the only chance we really get to see some of these concepts explored in a project that Ridley Scott is actually attached to, and I'd imagine that there will probably be many, many more projects that he is not involved with in the years to come that can go off in all sorts of other directions with their own wild and new ideas that will sit wrong with certain groups of fans.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 15, 2021, 11:53:51 PM
I think he's better suited to working on singular films and should be kept far away from franchises because he can't play well with others.

Fitting, in a series that has pretty much constantly been a string of filmmakers pulling the rug out from the people that came before them. ;)

---

This misses the point I was trying to make, perhaps unsuccessfully.

Those are still Alien films. Ridley made the prequels to explore ancient aliens, human origins, and the dangers of AI. He could give a f*ck about the creature, it's life cycle, or anything established in a film that wasn't his own. I think he actually has disdain for them.

At least Fincher and Jeunet had respect enough to not just be like  "The queen doesn't exist, that was a Cameron thing".

acrediblesource

I would shit my pants if Ridley is down playing the fact that the new tv series would once again utilize HR Giger's necronomicon and create a conceptual piece that explains the world that surrounds the Ridley-verse andit's world building schemes that come after it. I would be astonished if they went back to strange occult stuff found in the HR Giger paintings and delved deeper in psychosis.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: 426Buddy on Oct 16, 2021, 12:24:09 AM
At least Fincher and Jeunet had respect enough to not just be like  "The queen doesn't exist, that was a Cameron thing".

You really gonna hold that one-off comment that didn't even come directly from him but rather from the crew working with him against good old Ridley, aren't you ? I don't really see such a big problem here. Ridley doesn't wanna play with a Queen, so what ? It's not like the movie Aliens is being erased from the existence along with the concept of Alien Queen.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the concept of the Alien Queen and I don't feel offended or annoyed that RS doesn't share my opinion

And talking about respect - one might argue that Fincher was pretty disrespectful towards movie Aliens

426Buddy

426Buddy

He still wanted to make an actual alien film. And like I said it's that comment from the crew in combination with many other actual quotes in interviews and the press.

And I don't care so much about his opinion on the queen, but he would probably retcon it in a third film like everything else, on a whim. I like Covenant but the life cycle of the Alien doesn't jive with even the first film. You can theorize that it's not the same strain but we all know Scott could care less about continuity and the Alien wasnt effective because he has no interest in it to start.

Scott's a master of the craft and achieved more than most. I'm sure he is actually a great guy and friend to many. Do I think he comes off as petty and full of himself at times? Yeah definitely but I  still can't wait to see The Last Duel and I don't hate him. I just don't want him in charge of any more Alien films.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed