Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 215,000 times)

HuDaFuK

I dunno about worrying it might be better, but from what I heard Scott definitely had a lot to do with it getting torpedoed.

Evanus

I love the prequels, but I have to admit the best thing Scott has done for the franchise since the original film is torpedoing Alien 5.  :laugh:

Bughuntwilson

Quote from: LV-12986 on Oct 15, 2021, 02:54:22 PM
I genuinely just thinks he's doesn't want a film or tv series to be as successful as the first movie, with all due respect it would take a lot to better the first film but I still feel the fall of Blomkamps movie was Scotts doing on an agenda of knowing it would have a better turnout than any alien prequel movie.
it certainly does seem that way

Nightmare Asylum

I don't really see it as a petty sense of not wanting anyone else's stuff to be as successful as his, but rather, just him exerting the power that he was handed over the decade or so from Prometheus' production to now, where he basically had carte blanche to steer the ship for these ten or so years. He seemed cool with Blomkamp's film co-existing alongside his own for a while and then just all of a sudden wasn't - presumably because Blomkamp's movie would have conflicted with something he had in the cards for Covenant or its followup. If the studio is going to give him that power, it'd be silly to think he isn't going to use it.

Now, under Disney, he has less power but he's still the same old Ridley. Back around the time Ron Howard was brought on to salvage Solo's production, Ridley Scott was asked if he would ever be interested in making a Star Wars movie, to which he responded "No, no. I'm too dangerous for that." Alien isn't as big a brand as Star Wars and likely isn't quite as micromanaged by Disney/20th Century Studios as Star Wars is by Disney/Lucasfilm, but I'd imagine that to some degree the sentiment does still apply - Ridley is, to a certain extent, too dangers from the studios' perspectives to allow him to go completely unchecked with the material, as he has no real concern or regard for the limitations that franchise filmmaking tends to impose, the limitations that the studios are usually all about maintaining within their brands.

His disregard for those limitations, his desire to take an established property like Alien and and shake it up and use it to explore whatever is currently interesting him that can be analyzed through that property's unique lens, is one of the things that makes him and his works so exceptionally interesting in the current climate of blockbuster franchise filmmaking, in my opinion, and the main reason that I find so much to like about Prometheus despite the film's plethora of issues.

426Buddy

The crew on Covenant literally warned people not to bring up the queen with him because that was a Cameron thing...

No not petty at all.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: 426Buddy on Oct 15, 2021, 03:33:23 PM
The crew on Covenant literally warned people not to bring up the queen with him because that was a Cameron thing...

No not petty at all.

To be fair, he's just as quick to disregard/overwrite ideas from his own films out of existence as he is ideas from Jimbo, Fincher, and Jeunet. :D

Kradan

You mean, whole idea of SJ being ancient fossilised elephantine-like biomechanoid creature literally growing out of its chair ?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Kradan on Oct 15, 2021, 04:03:45 PM
You mean, whole idea of SJ being ancient fossilised elephantine-like biomechanoid creature literally growing out of its chair ?

That one first and foremost between Alien and Prometheus, yeah. And then a whole host of other retcons that came along with Alien: Covenant, chief among them the Alien's not-so-ancient origins which throw something of an even further wrench in the idea of that initial "fossilized" Space Jockey and its ancient cargo.

426Buddy

He should be kept away from franchise films imo. Better to just let him make one off films like The Last Duel or the The Councilor.

That way there is no worry about him stomping all over continuity and consistency with previous entries.

skhellter

skhellter

A friend was saying that the Prometheus director's commentary
is essentially Ridley trying hard to convince himself that the movie is good.

And it's kind of true. I think he KNOWS Prometheus is dogshit and him not inviting Spaihts or Lindelof to handle the sequels
is a bit of proof.

Ridley blaming the failure of Covenant on "the creature being cooked"
is also just him protecting his ego again.

(that said, everything in Alien up to and including the chestburster scene beats Aliens..
after that, sorry but Aliens beats it... they are both Classics, anyway.)

Evanus

People are reading way too much into this stuff. Ridley's just messing around.  :D

Kradan

Quote from: skhellter on Oct 15, 2021, 05:22:48 PM
A friend was saying that the Prometheus director's commentary
is essentially Ridley trying hard to convince himself that the movie is good.

And it's kind of true. I think he KNOWS Prometheus is dogshit and him not inviting Spaihts or Lindelof to handle the sequels

Quote from: skhellter on Oct 15, 2021, 05:22:48 PM
(that said, everything in Alien up to and including the chestburster scene beats Aliens..
after that, sorry but Aliens beats it... they are both Classics, anyway.)

I think I can agree on this

426Buddy

Always the same, always two there are. Those who dislike Scott's ego and comments dating back decades and those who will defend and handwaive everything because he's a great filmmaker.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed