Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 215,115 times)

SiL

All of the old Wolfenstein games had their swastikas removed for German release to comply with German law, but they're still Nazis.

Call of Duty: World War 2 had no swastikas and diverse Nazis -- in the multiplayer. The campaign story did not have these omissions/inclusions as the story was intended to be more accurate to history while the MP was more about, well, multiplayer shooting.

Kradan

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Aug 18, 2021, 04:18:43 AM
Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Aug 18, 2021, 03:57:03 AM
-For Marvel's upcoming Blade movie there gonna focus on hiring more black people just because.

And that's a problem because? I mean, you can see a movie were the filmakers hired almost white actors just because, and that's fine right ?

I guess, in modern world having your movie cast consist mostly/entirely of black people considered to be some sort of a statement

SiL

But does it impact the story?

That's the question here - "political" (and clearly the term is being used quite loosely) messaging that interfered with the storytelling itself. Does Blade potentially having an all or mostly black cast actually disrupt the story?

We obviously can't know, it's not out yet.

Huggs

Like ryan reynolds added so much to the last one.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 18, 2021, 05:00:19 AM
-For Marvel's upcoming Blade movie there gonna focus on hiring more black people just because.

And that's a problem because? I mean, you can see a movie were the filmakers hired almost white actors just because, and that's fine right ?

I guess, in modern world having your movie cast consist mostly/entirely of black people considered to be some sort of a statement

And how is that bad? is it bad that minorities are represented in entertainment?

This is not like someone is complaining about Superman being black and gay. There is too much hatred towards progressivism in entertainment in these days.

Kradan

Racism ? I guess ?

Baron Von Marlon

And that's a problem because? I mean, you can see a movie were the filmakers hired almost white actors just because, and that's fine right?

Because it's racist. They're hiring people based on their race and skin colour.
Not becaused they're the most qualified for whatever job it might be. It's not just actors, writers and directors as well.

-Overlord had black and white soldiers together in WW2, supposedly this didn't happen in real life. Yeah, nazi monster movie but still.

You can enjoy a movie where Hitler rides dinosaurs or there are UFOs, but it bothers you that a fantasy horror version of WW2 has black soldiers ???

Doesnt bother me, just pointed it out. Didn't like the movie in general, not because of that.

Aside from that: the Hitler-on-dino movie doesn't take itself too serious. While Overlord kinda does and could have been a lot crazier and over the top.

Quote from: SiL on Aug 18, 2021, 04:20:23 AM
None of one of these are really examples of political messaging getting in the way of the story. Overlord doesn't make any sort of point about its casting and the enemies are very, very explicitly Nazis with or without Swastikas.

Missed the part about the messaging getting in the way of the story. Just giving examples of, sorry for lacking a better term, wokeness.

Think a lot this started after the first BLM protests which started 5(?) years ago.
Doesn't get in the way of the story, but it does feel a little forced.
Doesn't matter how explicitly they're are nazis. Most badges and crosses were removed, probably as not to insult anyone.

Quote-There's an older video game where they removed swastikas.
Which game? How did this affect the story?

Think it was a Medal Of Honour game.
Doesn't affect the story, does take one out of the game a bit. When one cares about history, that is. And/or pays attention to detail.
Also vaguely read something about the same case with a more recent game but I can't recall the title.

Quote-Some other historical war game added women and people of colour when there weren't any.
Which game?

One in the Battlefield series.

Quote from: SiL on Aug 18, 2021, 04:37:40 AM
All of the old Wolfenstein games had their swastikas removed for German release to comply with German law, but they're still Nazis.

To comply with the LOCAL law. Don't think they applied it to every version.
Not all countries have to comply with that law. Especially when it comes to art.
Dead Snow comes to mind.

Huggs

Representation is part of the alien franchise.

I don't get where this is goin here.

SiL

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Aug 18, 2021, 05:27:58 AM
Is this Overlord? How does it feel forced? It's never mentioned or brought up. He's a soldier who is black, that's about the extent of it.

QuoteMost badges and crosses were removed, probably as not to insult anyone.
They used other explicitly Nazi iconography. Not featuring the Swastika didn't impact the story at all - I didn't even realise until you mentioned it and confirmed elsewhere.

QuoteNot all countries have to comply with that law. Especially when it comes to art.
Of course, but I still don't see what game had them retroactively removed.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 18, 2021, 05:42:42 AM
Representation is part of the alien franchise.

I don't get where this is goin here.

I thought SiL asked for examples but I was mistaken as he asked for examples of when it affected the story.

The Alien franchise always did it in a, imo, regular way.
Not in a "make sure we check as many boxes as possible" way as some movies and series seem to do imo.

Where this is going? Someplace on Earth in 2023 or 2024.
Or...

Quote from: SiL on Aug 18, 2021, 06:02:47 AM
Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Aug 18, 2021, 05:27:58 AM
Is this Overlord? How does it feel forced? It's never mentioned or brought up. He's a soldier who is black, that's about the extent of it.

Yes.
Already explained.
Doesn't matter, and already explained.

QuoteMost badges and crosses were removed, probably as not to insult anyone.
They used other explicitly Nazi iconography. Not featuring the Swastika didn't impact the story at all - I didn't even realise until you mentioned it and confirmed elsewhere.

Yes.
Yes, as I mentioned before.

QuoteNot all countries have to comply with that law. Especially when it comes to art.
Of course, but I still don't see what game had them retroactively removed.

I said it was a game in the Medal Of Honour series.
And there was no mention of retroactively removing something.
Point is you got violent games labeled as historical shooters, that try to be accurate when it comes to weapons, vehicles, locations, battles...
But for some reason, a symbol is too much.

SiL

There are many games in the Medal of Honour series - which one?

You said they were "removed", which sounds like they were taken out, rather than just never included to begin with.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: SiL on Aug 18, 2021, 06:17:38 AM
There are many games in the Medal of Honour series - which one?

Don't remember. Must be over 10 years ago, guessing PS2 era.
Might be this one from 2011, https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=4483, here they show the difference.

Quote from: SiL on Aug 18, 2021, 06:17:38 AM
You said they were "removed", which sounds like they were taken out, rather than just never included to begin with.

Apologies for the wrong the choice of words.

SiL

Looks like they just blanketed the changes on the PAL release to avoid localising just for Germany.

Dachande

Are we really trying to claim Battlefield has 'historical accuracy' when you can jump out a plane, headshot another pilot, hijack their plane, and fly away safely?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Aug 18, 2021, 03:57:03 AM-Overlord had black and white soldiers together in WW2, supposedly this didn't happen in real life. Yeah, nazi monster movie but still.

This is so asinine.

It's literally a movie about Nazis making undead super soldiers. Who gives a f**k if it has some black dudes in it at that point?

Quote from: Dachande on Aug 18, 2021, 08:23:22 AMAre we really trying to claim Battlefield has 'historical accuracy' when you can jump out a plane, headshot another pilot, hijack their plane, and fly away safely?

:laugh: Right?

As for the swastikas being removed in games issue, it's due to German laws governing their depiction. They're only allowed to be shown in "art"; films qualify as such, but video games don't per their laws. So rather than developers making two different versions of a game for different parts of the world, they often just scrub them entirely.

To be honest, if Germany wants to curb the depiction of Nazi symbolism, I find it hard to argue with them.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed