Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 214,852 times)

Kradan

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 15, 2021, 08:43:12 PM
Quote from: Kane's other son on Aug 15, 2021, 08:33:13 PM
Time to take away posting privileges from guests

But it's so much fun watching people with names like "angrypredatorfan" or "disappointedfan" freak out over nothing.

I second that

nanison

Guests can post? How?

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: nanison on Aug 15, 2021, 11:01:47 PM
Guests can post? How?

Via comments on front page articles. They show up as posts on the relevant forum threads attached to the articles.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Dingbat on Aug 15, 2021, 02:08:06 PM
I really don't understand why so many people in the various fandoms I know are so hateful all the time, I'm really starting to hate this forum

We're looking at different boards, because there's a lot of sarcasm taking the piss (rightfully) out of the hateful corners of the fandom from our members.

Some Old Dude

Loving everything I've heard from the people involved so far. "Part of the cinematic universe" simply means it will maintain the real world aesthetic of the films. Ridley Scott is definitely involved which I'm glad to hear, hoping he directs the pilot at least. Not to get political, but I think the previous films must've gone over some of your heads if you're upset about class warfare in an Alien film. It's been present from day one.

Chris!(($$))!

Quote from: Dingbat on Aug 15, 2021, 02:08:06 PM
I really don't understand why so many people in the various fandoms I know are so hateful all the time, I'm really starting to hate this forum

As others have claimed, I hope its most if not all sarcasm actually poking fun at the people intolerant of others. We got a lot of societal issues that a universe like ALIEN(S) has proven great at tackling already so I hope that trend continues.

The Blob

Bile Fascination: For pretty much of the ironic fanbase for Alien.

Schrödinger

Quote from: Some Old Dude on Aug 16, 2021, 10:59:28 AM
Loving everything I've heard from the people involved so far. "Part of the cinematic universe" simply means it will maintain the real world aesthetic of the films. Ridley Scott is definitely involved which I'm glad to hear, hoping he directs the pilot at least. Not to get political, but I think the previous films must've gone over some of your heads if you're upset about class warfare in an Alien film. It's been present from day one.

This. It's just done in a way with nuance, great character writing, and storytelling.

Political issues are a thing, social issues too. Nuance and undertones can show those very well.  The problem with modern media (Especially in comics) is nowadays it's just loads of in your face baiting and power grabbing instead of anything that happens in the real world with real people. They always focus on the overbearing and often hyperbolic extremes, and try to make certain groups rather than individuals look like demons; rather than the everyday issues that underline all our lives at various points.

Nuance = Good (Grounded, most people can catch it, makes sense to the lore and the situations going down, can show another part of character's mentalities.)

Twitter Grade = Bad (Not grounded, too in the face and makes people wanna laugh at it or just walk away, often times feels forced into a scene, is normally the "One defining trait" of a character which is boring.)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I have nothing against political themes in the Alíen universe, as such themes were already part of the original movies. Entertainment has always been and will be political. And if it's not subtle...who cares. I mean, people really think that there's a conspiratorial agenda of some political wing, and that if you watch a piece of media that's too explicit with the current political subjects, it will turn you into a zombie of that political wing or something? Guess what? There's not big deal! :laugh: All political sides use propaganda all the time, and I laugh when someone belonging to one of them gets upset when the message was slapped into their faces. There's a kind of amnesia or mandela effect there. :laugh:

And lastly, as someone who has enjoyed Fargo and Legion, I am very excited to see this series. There has always been an artist different from the previous one offering his take on Big Chap universe. So yeah, even from an artistic point of view, is something very typical of this franchise. That in addition to the fact that an artist has the right to express his/her political vision through his/her art. Anyway, can't wait to see this.  8)

Kimarhi

Eh, if anybody's political/social/moral agenda outshines the actual narrative of the story it annoys the shit out of me.  It doesn't matter, right, left, activist, pacifist, nuclear physicist, theist, whether you believe every baby deserves life, or if you eat babies.  If the story becomes absolutely non sensical because you need to make an outside point inside your movie it is like continually breaking the fourth wall.  It's like the characters have to go out of their way in ways that seem unnatural to the flow of the script to make/address these points and it also feels lazy. 

If you have to exposit your point to the audience instead of imbedding it in the narrative, then you should've saved everybody the expense of making the movie and just said the shit on twitter or something. 

SiL

Everyone keeps voicing this concern like it's a likely outcome of something that happens with any sort of frequency; can anyone list some specific examples?

I admit I haven't seen that many movies made in the past decade but I didn't think I was that out of touch.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: SiL on Aug 18, 2021, 03:17:28 AM
Everyone keeps voicing this concern like it's a likely outcome of something that happens with any sort of frequency; can anyone list some specific examples?

I admit I haven't seen that many movies made in the past decade but I didn't think I was that out of touch.

Remember this but not clearly so might be incorrect: 
-There's a Black Christmas remake which is more about feminism and women vs men instead of just women vs a killer.
-There's a remake/sequel (requel?) of The Craft, which now involves a more diverse cast and is also dealing with more current and specific themes.
-For Marvel's upcoming Blade movie there gonna focus on hiring more black people just because.
-They re-started the series Shrink, but now the main character is a black person.
-Master Of None has third season, but it's more of a spin-off because now the focus is another character, a black lesbian,...
-The new Evil Dead movie will have an all or mostly female cast.
-Overlord had black and white soldiers together in WW2, supposedly this didn't happen in real life. Yeah, nazi monster movie but still.
Also not one or barely one swastika season in the whole movie.
-There's an older video game where they removed swastikas.
-Some other historical war game added women and people of colour when there weren't any.

Not saying it's all bad, but imo it's hard not to notice.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Aug 18, 2021, 03:57:03 AM
-For Marvel's upcoming Blade movie there gonna focus on hiring more black people just because.

And that's a problem because? I mean, you can see a movie were the filmakers hired almost white actors just because, and that's fine right?

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Aug 18, 2021, 03:57:03 AM
-Overlord had black and white soldiers together in WW2, supposedly this didn't happen in real life. Yeah, nazi monster movie but still.

You can enjoy a movie where Hitler rides dinosaurs or there are UFOs, but it bothers you that a fantasy horror version of WW2 has black soldiers ???

SiL

Quote-For Marvel's upcoming Blade movie there gonna focus on hiring more black people just because.
-They re-started the series Shrink, but now the main character is a black person.
-Master Of None has third season, but it's more of a spin-off because now the focus is another character, a black lesbian,...
-The new Evil Dead movie will have an all or mostly female cast.
Also not one or barely one swastika season in the whole movie.
None of one of these are really examples of political messaging getting in the way of the story. Overlord doesn't make any sort of point about its casting and the enemies are very, very explicitly Nazis with or without Swastikas.

Quote-There's an older video game where they removed swastikas.
Which game? How did this affect the story?

Quote-Some other historical war game added women and people of colour when there weren't any.
Which game?

Huggs

Huggs

I'd wager the first game he's thinking of was probably one of the old Wolfensteins. I can't say that for certain though.

The last was probably one of the recent battlefields. I seem to remember hearing something about that and also there was tech that wasn't appropriate for the time period.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed