Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 214,796 times)

Kimarhi

Alien 3 is pretty obvious in its religious themes.  So is Resurrection.  Unless your being facetious.  It is hard to tell.

Good job. 

Nightmare Asylum

My favorite Good Friday/Easter Sunday double feature:

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 04, 2021, 04:21:35 AM
Perhaps not always – I wouldn't really say that there was much of a religious angle to Alien or Aliens. Alien 3, Alien: Resurrection, Prometheus, and Alien: Covenant, though? Absolutely.

Trying to point out that it's all about the personal view.

A religious person, or person with an interest in religion(s) would pay more attention to religious aspects and influences in a movie.
The person views it through a religious lens because that's what the person's life or character is (partially) about.
Same applies to politics.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Jul 04, 2021, 05:01:08 AM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 04, 2021, 04:21:35 AM
Perhaps not always – I wouldn't really say that there was much of a religious angle to Alien or Aliens. Alien 3, Alien: Resurrection, Prometheus, and Alien: Covenant, though? Absolutely.

Trying to point out that it's all about the personal view.

A religious person, or person with an interest in religion(s) would pay more attention to religious aspects and influences in a movie.
The person views it through a religious lens because that's what the person's life or character is (partially) about.
Same applies to politics.

But the religious elements that we're citing here were literally included in the script. And put on screen. And referenced in the actual titles of the films. :D One doesn't need a religious background to recognize or accept the explicit influence that these elements hold in the films. "Personal view" or not, the stuff is pretty blatantly in the films mentioned above.

If Hawley came out tomorrow and said that he was going to be exploring the place of religion on Earth in the future that is the Alien universe in this series, would you be concerned about that too because, I don't know, "If you got a good movie, with a proper cast, a good script with well written dialogue, no one cares about [religious influence/symbolism]" or something?

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 04, 2021, 05:11:56 AM
But the religious elements that we're citing here were literally included in the script. And put on screen. And referenced in the actual titles of the films. :D One doesn't need a religious background to recognize or accept the explicit influence that these elements hold in the films. "Personal view" or not, the stuff is pretty blatantly in the films mentioned above.

If Hawley came out tomorrow and said that he was going to be exploring the place of religion on Earth in the future that is the Alien universe in this series, would you be concerned about that too because, I don't know, "If you got a good movie, with a proper cast, a good script with well written dialogue, no one cares about [religious influence/symbolism]" or something?

Yeah, people need a religious background or education to recognise those elements, because the average viewer, the one you seem to look down upon all the time, doesn't look at it like that.
Same case with Aliens, most people view the movie as humans battling monsters.

I never mentioned I was concerned about Hawley's comments. That's you imagining things.

Yeah, no one would care as long as the final result is quality. Including me.

If you don't like what I said or what you imagined I said, please put me on ignore.

And thanks for proving my point of you being politically obsessed.

Voodoo Magic

I know this is a very passionate topic, but let's all try to remain cordial to each other and avoid being antagonistic! Thanks! :)

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Jul 04, 2021, 05:53:55 AM
Same case with Aliens, most people view the movie as humans battling monsters.

Okay, so yes, this is it precisely to me. :) I find some are too close to the material as fans and/or their own world view to be able to view this within any eyes other than their own. They need to strive towards empathy. "The movie is about the evils of capitalism and corporate greed" Ever read the synopsis on the home video package? Yep, it's not there, and many don't see it in the film either. And that's okay. I've seen films really deal with this issue and they are not B horror movies with a rubber suited Alien in space. They are more on the nose. Just because Alien has an evil fictional company, or talk about bonuses on the job, it doesn't mean all viewers are walking away from their viewing thinking - wow - the film says all corporations are evil and so is capitalism. Logically, the more optimistic the viewer is about the world they live in, the less likely that viewer correlates the fictional world and that one evil company in Alien & Aliens as a statement against all corporations or capitalism in general. They just see it as a fictional universe with a fictional evil company, and it's important to acknowledge this viewpoint. That's the fair truth of it, and it's good to be able to take a step back realize that not everyone sees things as we do regardless of intent. It's better when we try to see things from all angles with understanding I think! :)

SiL

Just because the primary conflict is about the space monsters and that's the main draw doesn't mean the political sentiment isn't clear and present in the film.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Jul 04, 2021, 06:47:19 AM
Just because the primary conflict is about the space monsters and that's the main draw doesn't mean the political sentiment isn't clear and present in the film.

Clear to you, sure. But not clear to everyone buddy. Not everyone thinks like you, or me, or others. They see Alien in a fictional universe. Fictional characters. Fictional evil company. Fictional Space Jockey. Fictional Alien that kills. Many don't correlate it all to anything other than being a great piece of entertainment. :)

SiL

SiL

I'd hope anyone watching it sees it as fictional, and I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. If acknowledging the film is fictional prevents them from seeing clear socio-political commentary, then why is anyone the least bit concerned about Hawley's comments? Are they mistaking the project for a documentary?

EDIT

Rather than try to squeeze this into the poltics thread, I made a dedicated thread if you want to shift the posts over:

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=65045.0

The_Nostromo_Files

Alien(1979) was released in a decade shot full of sci-fi/social commentary reflecting those times. Thing is: when done well, it's very entertaining as well as thought-provoking; otherwise, one can choke on the spoon-feeding. For context, a list some of my favorites from back then. I'm glad I was able to see most of them in my teens when they were released (damn I miss the old movie theaters!) or on TV, framed in the context of those times. For this of you in that age bracket, perhaps you'll remember this Alien TV show in a similar way.

• The Omega Man (1971)
  • The Andromeda Strain (1971)
  • Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)
  • Silent Running (1972)
  • Any of 1970s run of the Planet of the Apes series (1970-1973)
  • The Day of the Dolphin (1973)
  • The Terminal Man (1974)
  • Soylent Green (1973)
  • Phase IV (1974)
  • Westworld (1973)
  • Rollerball (1975)
  • Capricorn One (1977)
  • Logan's Run (1977)
It looks like Hawley's picked the themes he's interested in addressing. Here's hoping for the best with it.

Immortan Jonesy

Indeed. Another example is the Star Wars prequels and their political subtext of the time: President Bush's war on terrorism and the invasion of Iraq. And although I agree that the ideal would be for it to be natural and part of the characters; rather than shoehorned, forced or akward, it is part of science fiction to draw parallels with the present.

That said, I still trust Noah Hawley, I just hope the studio doesn't negatively affect his vision.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jul 04, 2021, 06:27:49 PM
I just hope the studio doesn't negatively affect his vision.

This is my only concern. Studio meddling to drum up free advertising via online controversy.

Huggs

Well, whatever happens, it can't turn out as bad as The Predator.

I shouldn't have said that, should I? Now it's doomed.

Baron Von Marlon

If the new Predator will be released earlier it might give us an indication of how they're going to work.

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 04, 2021, 08:52:46 PM
Well, whatever happens, it can't turn out as bad as The Predator.

I shouldn't have said that, should I? Now it's doomed.

Didn't you buy the movie and watched it 4 times?

SiL

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Jul 04, 2021, 10:33:21 PM
If the new Predator will be released earlier it might give us an indication of how they're going to work.
Why would a completely unrelated project from a completely different creative team give any indication?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed