Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 215,193 times)

Local Trouble

I mean, it's a laudable goal to colonize somewhere off-world, but it doesn't necessarily have to be Mars.  We could build O'Neill cylinders and a moon base first.  We could also mine near Earth asteroids.  I don't see why Mars is a higher priority than those.

Kimarhi

I think a lunar colony should be first just because if you can get anything going there first then the fuel consumption would be different launching from there vs earth, but I personally don't care if anybody wants to try Mars. 

You just aren't going to be junking up Mars.  It is already a dead planet.  Everything will have to be grown to eat and done in habitats, radiation is awful because there is no magnetic field, its freezing cold, low gravity which will mess up food in your bowels, and the lack of surface pressure. 

Like it is a graveyard planet.  Throwing an empty coke can on its surface can't hurt it. 

SiL

Colonising the moon doesn't sound cool enough on Twitter though.

Crazy Rich

I  feel like we shouldn't mess with the moon though as any man-related disaster on the moon could potentially in turn f**k the earth too.

SiL

How? What could we possibly do to it?

Crazy Rich

Local Trouble

We should mine the moon for that sweet, sweet helium-3.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 18, 2022, 06:54:28 AMWe should mine the moon for that sweet, sweet helium-3.

Quote from: SiL on Jul 18, 2022, 06:27:46 AMHow? What could we possibly do to it?

426Buddy

Personally I have no faith that humanity will just band together and save the planet. Our species as a whole is violent, divisive, and self serving. We also have an incredible appetite for destruction. At no time in the history of our species have we not been slaughtering eachother and everything else. I mean there are good individuals but as a whole we are not capable of getting along imo.

So I find it much more plausible that we leave this planet and continue to be the same very flawed animals we are. Or we die here on earth and the planet continues on like we were never here. The idea that we will somehow band together to keep this planet hospitable seems like a fairy tale to me.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 18, 2022, 11:15:50 AMPersonally I have no faith that humanity will just band together and save the planet. Our species as a whole is violent, divisive, and self serving. We also have an incredible appetite for destruction. At no time in the history of our species have we not been slaughtering eachother and everything else. I mean there are good individuals but as a whole we are not capable of getting along imo.

So I find it much more plausible that we leave this planet and continue to be the same very flawed animals we are. Or we die here on earth and the planet continues on like we were never here. The idea that we will somehow band together to keep this planet hospitable seems like a fairy tale to me.

I broadly agree, the only upside if we do escape and continue to be awful to each other and anything else we happen to encounter out there, is that we'd be a comparatively short lived horror but get a lot of panspermia done on behalf of our mother rock - arguably worth the trouble if you take a long enough view.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jul 18, 2022, 06:23:19 AMI think a lunar colony should be first just because if you can get anything going there first then the fuel consumption would be different launching from there vs earth, but I personally don't care if anybody wants to try Mars. 

You just aren't going to be junking up Mars.  It is already a dead planet.  Everything will have to be grown to eat and done in habitats, radiation is awful because there is no magnetic field, its freezing cold, low gravity which will mess up food in your bowels, and the lack of surface pressure. 

Like it is a graveyard planet.  Throwing an empty coke can on its surface can't hurt it. 

It's cheaper than ISS, apparently.

Costs of an International Lunar Base

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 18, 2022, 11:15:50 AMPersonally I have no faith that humanity will just band together and save the planet. Our species as a whole is violent, divisive, and self serving. We also have an incredible appetite for destruction. At no time in the history of our species have we not been slaughtering eachother and everything else.

Very true unfortunately.

Kimarhi

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jul 18, 2022, 02:45:16 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Jul 18, 2022, 06:23:19 AMI think a lunar colony should be first just because if you can get anything going there first then the fuel consumption would be different launching from there vs earth, but I personally don't care if anybody wants to try Mars. 

Pretty interesting.  Maybe because the ISS has to stay in a perfect orbit, whereas the Lunar Base will not need that technology?

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jul 18, 2022, 03:44:11 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jul 18, 2022, 02:45:16 PM

Pretty interesting.  Maybe because the ISS has to stay in a perfect orbit, whereas the Lunar Base will not need that technology?

Kimarhi

I think everything in space goes way overbudget.  It will have the same problems that Mars will except it will be much closer (but still far away) than Earth. 

If it goes way underbudget then maybe the darkside of the moon aliens will give the astronauts some tips. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed