Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 214,833 times)

[cancerblack]

I always felt it was a handful of truly spectacular scenes interspersed in a mélange of weird, overdesigned fluff.

BlueMarsalis79

The Final Cut's an absolute masterpiece and I will watch it anyday.

SiL

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jul 16, 2022, 10:25:02 PMI always felt it was a handful of truly spectacular scenes interspersed in a mélange of weird, overdesigned fluff.
Vangelis music is great but it literally puts me to sleep as it plays over interminable shots of cities.

BlueMarsalis79

That's why it's great. It's meditative.

[cancerblack]

I just don't really vibe with it.

BlueMarsalis79

SiL

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jul 16, 2022, 11:40:17 PMI just don't really vibe with it.
It's too slow, too obtuse, and Deckard is a really boring protagonist.

The book is better.

426Buddy

I think it's pretty great myself. I love the quiet sleepy vibes the movie oozes with in every scene.

Despite its cult status, I still think a lot of people still agree with the initial reception. But I always find it an enjoyable experience.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 16, 2022, 11:59:00 PMI think it's pretty great myself. I love the quiet sleepy vibes the movie oozes with in every scene.

Despite its cult status, I still think a lot of people still agree with the initial reception. But I always find it an enjoyable experience.

I don't think it's a coincidence Charles de Lauzirika's passionate about both Blade Runner and Alien³ and that his interest in Alien³ lead directly to The Final Cut's an often overlooked fact. 

I'm reminded of one of my favourite videos on why I adore the film so much. @The Eighth Passenger -Thoughts?

I believe if Rick Deckard was more distinct it simply would not work.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

People who diss Blade Runner reminds me of the kind of people who would look at a Jackson Pollock or Picasso and say their kid could have done it. Or the kind of people who say that a fine Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon tastes like vinegar.

Yes, I would cut to the bone in order to defend Blade Runner.

Consider that it is widely touted as the most influential science-fiction film ever made. The film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry and is frequently taught in university courses. Several books have been written about it, four documentaries produced.

QuoteBlade Runner continues to reflect modern trends and concerns, and an increasing number of critics consider it one of the greatest science fiction films of all time. It was voted the best science fiction film ever made in a 2004 poll of 60 eminent world scientists.

Ridley Scott scholars, Ian Nathan (Ridley Scott: A Retrospective), Paul M. Sammon (Future Noir, Ridley Scott: The Making of His Movies) and Charles de Lauzirika all consider Blade Runner to be Ridley Scott's definitive film.

David Fincher, Denis Villeneuve, Guillermo del Toro, Frank Darabont, James Cameron, Neill Blomkamp, Mark Romanek, Elon Musk, Warren Spector, Paul W. S. Anderson, Mark Kermode are all avowed Blade Runner fans.

The cumulative sales of Blade Runner on home media and re-screenings has long since outstripped the box office yield of most successful box office giants of 1982, so it's initial box office earnings are no longer a valid argument regarding popularity. Not that popularity matters really, often the best films aren't popular with mainstream audiences. Shawshank Redemption, Children of Men, The Thing, Citizen Kane, It's A Wonderful Life (not of Kradan), Fight Club, The Big Lebowski, The Wizard of Oz, The Last Duel just off the top of my head.

I rest my case.

@BlueMarsalis79 I'll watch the video a little later today and post my thoughts.

SiL

Feels like if you need to make an ad hominem attack to defend the film it probably isn't strong enough to be defended on its own merits.

Nobody mentioned people who like the film or said anything untoward about them when voicing their personal feelings about the film. Absolutely uncalled for.

But the worst part of that whole post was thinking for a moment that Elon Musk liking it means anything. One could just as soon use that to attack the film.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: SiL on Jul 17, 2022, 11:07:45 AMBut the worst part of that whole post was thinking for a moment that Elon Musk liking it means anything. One could just as soon use that to attack the film.

The film has helped to inspire him to achieve what he has achieved today. Love him or hate him (as you obviously do), you can't deny his success and achievements in life.

SiL

The guy used his parents' money to buy other people's ideas and stamp his name on them.

And considering the inherent themes of class struggle in Scott's films, particularly Blade Runner - the servants forced against their will to fit narrow roles they desperately try to escape from - Musk's fierce anti union, anti regulatory approach makes him more WY than Tyrell.

Again I'm really not seeing how this is at all an an endorsement of the film.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Elon Musk might be a bastard, but he is doing the most important work in the world that a man could possibly do, working towards getting humanity (and the rest of the planet's species) off this planet and ensuring their long term survival.

"A new life awaits you in the Off-World colonies"

Great men have never been nice men. If Musk achieves what he set out to achieve and the film helped to inspire him, then I consider it an endorsement of the film.

SiL

If he does it using the same capitalist ideologies that crush the working class that Scott's films actively criticise and lambast - and he is - then it's not an endorsement.

If anything it's the surest proof the film was all style and no substance, if someone could be so inspired yet so utterly fail to see the point.

Thank you, then, I guess, for supporting my view.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed