Box Office Takings for The Predator

Started by Tetsujin, Jul 20, 2018, 05:00:59 PM

Author
Box Office Takings for The Predator (Read 85,106 times)

The Old One

The Old One

I'm against anything being humanised in realistic or serious Sci-Fi that isn't indeed human. I will agree to disagree on that one.

& I feel the thing is, as I've repeated as nausea- Alien has elements that can be explored outside the creature. Predator as it stands does not.

Even the best superhero shows have lackluster costumes (Daredevil) or none at all.
(Jessica Jones) But I concede there's some good cosplay costumes that are perhaps inexpensive, just articulating the face would be cost intensive.

ELDERCLANLEADER

ELDERCLANLEADER

Wysps im not against "humanization" just as long as it feels weighty and holds substance. I wouldn't want it like district 9 for example. But the idea of being able to "understand" predators, i could get fully behind. I also don't think it goes against whats been established, predator 1 and 2 showed them speaking in English, if they can understand us, why shouldn't we be able to understand them?

"& I feel the thing is, as I've repeated as nausea- Alien has elements that can be explored outside the creature. Predator as it stands does not."

So predator is now just a mindless killing creature like alien is it? How does Predator not have elements that could be explored further? 

"as it stands does not"

Thats my point it hasn't been wrote yet so its not going to is it?  That doesn't mean it can't have.

The Wolverine Predator

How can they have this number when Sunday isn't over yet?

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: ELDERCLANLEADER on Sep 16, 2018, 06:28:16 PM

That's my point it hasn't been written yet.
That doesn't mean it can't be.

It's been 30 years, c'mon- it is what it is and that's a concept that has always been one note.

& The Predator is a Hunter first and foremost-
which I don't see how you can expand upon apart from in some broad strokes as in the novels.
Even if you could get a talented writer to do it, I don't see the point.

yautjapet

I admit, I still have a hard time understanding this deep fear of humanizing the predator - because we already know for a fact they are intelligent, sapient, and have a culture and traditions along with their own unique personalities, behaviors, and thoughts. We're not ascribing anything to them that isn't already there. Even if you ignore the comics, it's all on screen. And "the point" is that a lot of people would enjoy seeing it, and it could utilize this known franchise character in a way that isn't the same regurgitated tropes. You don't have to show the homeworld or expose every bit of their society to craft lore around them, and doing that in turn doesn't automatically mean you have to make them chummy with humans and destroy all mystery and tension.

The Old One

The Old One

I disagree, I believe it would be a mistake- it would essentially be a Predator no longer.
It would in essence be a human in tribal gear brought up in a different culture.

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: yautjapet on Sep 16, 2018, 08:13:41 PM
I admit, I still have a hard time understanding this deep fear of humanizing the predator - because we already know for a fact they are intelligent, sapient, and have a culture and traditions along with their own unique personalities, behaviors, and thoughts. We're not ascribing anything to them that isn't already there. Even if you ignore the comics, it's all on screen. And "the point" is that a lot of people would enjoy seeing it, and it could utilize this known franchise character in a way that isn't the same regurgitated tropes. You don't have to show the homeworld or expose every bit of their society to craft lore around them, and doing that in turn doesn't automatically mean you have to make them chummy with humans and destroy all mystery and tension.

Agreed. I can't believe "civilization" is exclusively a human thing, if there are indeed other sentient/salient life forms out there. And the bold part, right on. The novels have already done a great job of portraying this.

newagescamartist

Maybe they don't have civilizations. Maybe they're all renegades that asexually reproduce to make their tribes. Each tribe is essentially just themselves cloning over and over again. They have to evolve in a bubble, create their own tech, oh and they live for 1000s of years.

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: newagescamartist on Sep 16, 2018, 09:24:32 PM
Maybe they don't have civilizations. Maybe they're all renegades that asexually reproduce to make their tribes. Each tribe is essentially just themselves cloning over and over again. They have to evolve in a bubble, create their own tech, oh and they live for 1000s of years.

That would be a helluva lot of wisdom right there  ;)

ELDERCLANLEADER

yeah i wouldn't even call it humanization, they are intergalactic intelligent humanoid alien tribal hunters with technology we can only dream of, why wouldn't they have complex conversations with one another, and have intelligence, they have their own language, they have always been somewhat reminiscent to human beings from day one. here is the list............

They are technologically advanced- we are technologically advanced.
They have their own language - we have our own languages.
They are hunters- we are hunters.
They are humanoid- we are humanoid.
They have culture, codes and practices- we have culture codes and practices.
They are tribal- we are tribal.
They grieve- we grieve (end of predator 2 anyone?)
They even have humor- we have humor

My point here, is predator has always had an element of humanization, the fact the very first predator was talking english should be telling people that.

I really do not see how understanding the way they communicate with each other is taking away from what they are.

They will always be aliens, its just they share a lot of common ground with us humans, i always assumed this is why we are their chosen ultimate prey.   

whiterabbit

That box office is atrocious.

I think the Predators are at least in the comics regarded as a nomadic tribal race and the Predator has always been a human in a rubber suit. So yes, they are people.

The Old One

The Old One

Lameā„¢

I prefer it when those elements are inferred, not outright stated.

IMO of course before anyone argues with me.

ELDERCLANLEADER

"I prefer it when those elements are inferred, not outright stated"

But just because you don't like them , doesn't mean they are not there. The simple fact is those elements have always been there from the very first movie....

If predators are not comparable to humans, "thats only in your head"  The old one.   ;D

The Old One

The Old One

If Predators are essentially just humans, I'd just rather read Saga instead.

Success then in convincing me Alien and Predator shouldn't inhabit the same universe though.

(I never said "that's only in your head"- just FYI.)

Biomechanoid

Well.....for what it's worth.....it's number one at the box office......at the moment.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed