Box Office Takings for The Predator

Started by Tetsujin, Jul 20, 2018, 05:00:59 PM

Author
Box Office Takings for The Predator (Read 87,057 times)

Chainsaw Squirrel

Chainsaw Squirrel

Not sure why people think predators are being humanised. They're no more human now in their behaviour than in the original predator movie.
The whole hybridisation thing where predators use human DNA and that of other species to upgrade their own is not impossible, but a lot of genes would be pretty much unusable because of compatibility issues. But the problem with that is what if the genes that made their trophy kills, superior beings were not cross-species compatible?

Despite the flaws in this expansion to the predators background, I still quite enjoyed this aspect of the film. They're now more than just game hunting aliens as they always were. At least Black recognised that you can't put the genie back in the bottle, and instead made a different kind of movie instead of a dumb ass rehash *cough* Predators *cough*. The only way to "recapture" the magic is actually to just make a new bottle with another genie inside.

jeff161

and do we all wake up and go to work at starbucks no
so why cant predators have a tech and science group???
that's what this classic tale of aka spy vs spy is about,,

I personally enjoyed the film
opens new doors

PredBabe

PredBabe

I enjoyed some of the newer ideas introduced too.

But I'm not saying for them to show their freckled face kids working in the grocery store or anything, a television series just needs more than the average hunt to keep things interesting. Perhaps not their home world but taking it back to the hunting preserve planet idea. That could potentially hold up for a tv series, especially if they play up on the upgrade/bad blood concepts. Make it so that some type of battle breaks out between two clans in the midst of a hunt.
I was always annoyed that they never really utilized any neat predator dwellings/locations in Predators. Like have intense action sequences where the characters have to work with these abandoned alien environments. Just some ideas in mind.

Ultimately it's the human characters that would need to be developed well in order to attract casual viewers. Then they may be able to establish a handful of Predator characters with different personalities and intentions.

whiterabbit

Quote from: ELDERCLANLEADER on Sep 16, 2018, 11:12:50 PM
But just because you don't like them , doesn't mean they are not there. The simple fact is those elements have always been there from the very first movie.

Just to get something straight, it's not what was introduce that I'm upset about but the way it was executed. The tone and mannerism of the movie is what's unwanted. The Predator is very human like because it is portrayed by a man in a suit. The same like the Alien and any random Star Trek character. The genetics and enhancement and even the theme of those with disabilities being able to contribute in Earth's defense isn't what's wrong with the film. It's the Lameā„¢ post 2000's humor, video game achievement and utter lack of seriousness to the film that's bringing it down.

I mean in all honesty, a Predator movie shouldn't be a comedy. I'll call it right now, if this was an AVP movie, this would have been awesome. All three Predator movies before this were not jokes. They were serious takes on combat against an alien life form that focused on the hunt. I don't think changing up the motives of a Predator is the problem, the problem is that the movie should have been serious. Also to be clear, the loonies aren't the comedic problem with the movie... until late in the 3rd act.

Spoiler
The guy Jumping and stabbing the predator while on fire was cool though.
[close]

Putting that in a spoiler just in case.

Disappointed

Disappointed

The movie was absolute junk. I'm sorry. It was incoherent, folks were just driving around out of nowhere. And the predator dogs were just a joke

Disapponted

Disapponted

Very sad to the franchise like this
Grew up watching predator on vhs
Predator 2 was my first r rated movie in the theater, so the franchise has a special place in my heart
Saw the movie last night , rushed home and turned predator 2 on to get the bad taste out of my mouth
Super predator was not impressive
Dogs were dumb
Movie stopped At 10 minutes at a time so people could tell dumb vulgar jokes
Jokes in predator helped develop the characters. These didn't

Huggs

Huggs

Wikipedia has it up to 54.7 million now. Not bad.

Does anyone have an estimate on what the marketing costs were for this film?

whiterabbit

Rough generic estimated guess is about 40 million. The reported budget was 88M after all. The bad math is that it opened less than Predators and cost twice as much to make and market. It's looking at a 2.1 multiplier too. Simple math puts it's total domestic gross at 51M. So yea, even with a 3 multiplier it's not going to make a profit even with over seas figures tallied. At the moment I have no idea what those markets have done.

The movie had to have opened at 45M or greater in the US to turn a profit. In my opinion.

D88M

D88M

Given the quality of the movie, i sadly but really hope it does not do much.

Engineer

Engineer

My expectations were pretty low going into it, and, well, my expectations weren't exceeded. At least I didn't leave disappointed! Lol

That being said, the movie hype did spawn some great new books and comics which I've been thoroughly enjoying so far!

This movies expectations

This movies expectations

It had great moments and it had moments that did not fit . I hope they build off of what worked.fugitive predator was dope.

Fugitive Predator

would have been better if this was a 40 to 50 million dollar movie.

ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR

ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR

I think a great new Avp film would put the franchises back on track. Both series have not been doing good individualy. I don't think anyone wants a sequel to The Predator.

I think Avp 2004 is underrated.

Nathsp

Nathsp

Colonial marines, predators and aliens... Win!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed