Will we ever get a regular Predator movie again?

Started by Mike The Wolf, Jan 27, 2011, 09:29:35 PM

Author
Will we ever get a regular Predator movie again? (Read 4,466 times)

samoht

Quote from: InvisibleLimits on Jan 30, 2011, 06:17:27 AM
The whole "wolves vs. dogs" thing is the worst analogy they could have used. That implies that a force greater than the super predators DOMESTICATED them to be docile, and cute, and shit. After all of this selective breeding, somehow we get the predator from P1, P2??? Predators that not only had larger body counts (P1, P2) but suffered more physical abuse (P2)...

That is of course taken literally, which I guess isn't what should be done here. What would have made sense is to say maybe the difference between wolves and coyotes, or foxes. It's ashame, the super preds looks pretty neat, but they did nothing to really warrant their existence as some badass subspecies of predator. There is a predator that had not only a radically different physical appearance, but also an expansively exotic arsenal, and had existed for 20 years prior the the release of predators... I'm talking about predator 2 of course. There's your super predator, one over seven feet tall, able to kill around 30 people during the course of the movie, and survive about a dozen shotgun blasts to the abdomen.

They chose to ignore P2 cause they couldn't top it.

Here's a link to the real differences between wolves and dogs:
http://wolfdog.ws/html/differences.html

And here's a kill count breakdown for P2:
http://www.allouttabubblegum.com/main/?p=4793

Over analysis much?

predxeno

I think it's too early to say whether we'd get a "regular" Predator film again.

Milan

Hmm...well...You have 10 wolfes and then you select 4 of them who is less aggressive in their behaviour towards man and then mate them. Then you take 2 of their offspring who are more submissive and less aggresive than the other pups and then you mate them...eventually you have your "dog".

In Predators I felt like that the Super Predators had the "wolf" title in the wolf vs dog description...
...but isn't it really the other way around...the dogs are the ones who have been altered over and over again, not the wolf.

In my mind when one is compareing the Predators with wolfs and dogs then Anytime would be the wolf and Black would be a pitbull...

I'm not against the concept of "super predators", I see them as the bad bloods in the Predator movie universe.

So now we had one movie with the bad bloods in it, I wouldn't mind if the next one would lack any bad bloods. I hope they go deeper with the original Predator, show us more about the Hunt, why it's so important to them to kill their prey.  They have been shown that they would blow themselfes up in a last effort to take it down. Seems like over-kill for a creature who hunts for sport and fun...

Master

He blew up him self not to let humans took his tech.

InvisibleLimits

InvisibleLimits

Quote from: samoht on Jan 30, 2011, 11:49:39 PM
Over analysis much?

Haha, yeah, I guess so!  :laugh:

I was drinking last night, a bit too much. I was just on one 'cause I started thinking about the things I disliked about that movie. I mean, I don't hate it, hell, I own the damn thing, but there's a lot of boneheaded shit in it (not that there isn't in the other predator movies, but this one was pretty in your face about it). I mean, I don't expect it to be a f**king Ingmar Bergman Arthouse masterpiece, but I don't want to be treated like I'm an idiot the whole time either.

Here's the last thing I will mention regarding these "super" predators, this is taken from the same blog (all outta bubble gum)

Predator Kill Count = Predator-(Kevin Peter Hall) 11

Predator 2 Kill Count = Predator-(Kevin Peter Hall) 28

Predators Kill Count = Berserker Predator-(Brian Steele) 2 (this count INCLUDES the classic
                               "puddingtime" pred, so just one human, Stans)
                               Tracker Predator blows Noland to pieces
                               Nikolai blows himself up with Tracker 2 deaths for him, sort of
                               Hanzo kills Falconer with a sword
                               Hanzo dies too from getting cut by the Predator's blades 1 Death\Draw
                               Cuchillo killed off screen, Mombasa gets "Speared" - Both way to vague
                               to credit any one pred with

Numbers don't lie...

Sharp Sticks

Unless it's a case of quality over quantity.

samoht

Quote from: Milan on Jan 31, 2011, 12:41:03 AM
Hmm...well...You have 10 wolfes and then you select 4 of them who is less aggressive in their behaviour towards man and then mate them. Then you take 2 of their offspring who are more submissive and less aggresive than the other pups and then you mate them...eventually you have your "dog".

In Predators I felt like that the Super Predators had the "wolf" title in the wolf vs dog description...
...but isn't it really the other way around...the dogs are the ones who have been altered over and over again, not the wolf.

In my mind when one is compareing the Predators with wolfs and dogs then Anytime would be the wolf and Black would be a pitbull...

I'm not against the concept of "super predators", I see them as the bad bloods in the Predator movie universe.

So now we had one movie with the bad bloods in it, I wouldn't mind if the next one would lack any bad bloods. I hope they go deeper with the original Predator, show us more about the Hunt, why it's so important to them to kill their prey.  They have been shown that they would blow themselfes up in a last effort to take it down. Seems like over-kill for a creature who hunts for sport and fun...

When Noland said the Wolf and Dog analogy, he wasn't talking about breeding species in certain ways to create different breeds and subspecies. He was simply referring to the Supers as being Wolves, defining them as bigger and more dangerous than the classics (dogs).

This simple analogy does become a bit confusing when it is over analysed.

Quote from: Milan on Jan 31, 2011, 12:41:03 AM

The Supers haven't been altered over and over again like dogs. Both pred species evolved naturally. In a similar way to Humans and Neanderthals. Both sharing common ancestry. Well thats the most obvious explanation anyway.
:)

InvisibleLimits

InvisibleLimits

Quote from: Sharp Sticks on Jan 31, 2011, 02:56:28 AM
Unless it's a case of quality over quantity.

Well, I will say that I personally feel that isn't the case here. How do we define the quality of deaths in the predator series? It seems to me that you're trying to get me to say "quality has never been at the forefront of these movies", which would make my arguments regarding the shortcomings of the newest film to be null and void. I'm not going to say that, even though I kinda just did for the sake of argument. What I will say is that the deaths in predators were not any better, or worse, there were simply way less of them. And that takes all the piss out of the super predator idea. Again, just my opinion, everyone is free to agree, disagree, or be as indifferent as they choose.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

I wasn't making a point about the films themselves, I was considering the intentions of the Super Preds. We're led to believe that each human individual in Predators was observed, chosen, kidnapped and transported to the game preserve - a process that would require inordinate amounts of time and energy compared to what we've seen the Predators do in the original films.

The captives had to have held high significance to the Super Preds. It wasn't a numbers game from their point of view: more like a ceremony to violently assert their civilization's (if you can call it that) dominance over every other intelligent species within reach. 'We steal your biggest badasses and ferry them across the stars just to shoot them for fun, and we do it on a regular basis - what did you do this week, launch a new weather satellite?'

Conjecture on my part, of course. I'm just thinking out loud.

InvisibleLimits

InvisibleLimits

Makes you wonder how they even got to that level of advancement in the first place, seems like they would have practiced this brutal ritual on each other before all else (and if you take the movie as truth, they have, or at least against the "normal" preds, blood feud...). In that case wouldn't the strongest, most lethal have sowed the seeds down the generations, not the intellectuals? Not much room for discovery, invention, and innovation in a pissing contest such as that. Or maybe they reached a technological peak and just got bored? Or stole all this shit from someone else? God damn, does it ever end?

It does seem like an impossibly ridiculous amount of effort put forth just to rip somethings head off halfway across the galaxy. How pointless it seems when put that way. As you said, huge amounts of energy and time, for that mess to be the end result. Maybe they need a new hobby?

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

They're a seriously f**ked up species, those Predators. I think that's always been their primary lasting appeal for me: they're an entire civilization who can travel vast interstellar distances and split atoms with their wristwatches, but their only ambition is to cruise around the cosmos turning alien skulls into beer mugs. What a bunch of stupid punks.

Kind of like us, that way.

Master

But normal Preds used sagnificantly less amount of energy and time. They just went to different planet found some big animal and bang! New skull on the wall and skin to leather-bound new armchair.

It`s pure speculation of course but this whole game preserve thing may have some ritual implications for them. Just like pyramids with Aliens. Both are contained environments, both are places where Preds hunt in groups of three. It isn`t so farfetched to conect those two. That`s why I`d like that as an idea for sequel. Show us SP Elder who was actually choosing and catching those humans to test his students. I think it could be very interesting if done right.

samoht

In all honesty, I think the game is reserve is just a ...... game reserve.

Nothing special. A place to hunt. Preds probably have to pay to enter the planet.

As for the preds who observe and capture the best humans and aliens for the reserve. Its probably their job. As in, they get their living by supplying the game reserve with good game.

I wouldn't take all this "ritual" thing so seriously.

FUZION PREDATOR

Quote from: InvisibleLimits on Jan 31, 2011, 02:47:33 AM
Quote from: samoht on Jan 30, 2011, 11:49:39 PM
Over analysis much?

Haha, yeah, I guess so!  :laugh:

I was drinking last night, a bit too much. I was just on one 'cause I started thinking about the things I disliked about that movie. I mean, I don't hate it, hell, I own the damn thing, but there's a lot of boneheaded shit in it (not that there isn't in the other predator movies, but this one was pretty in your face about it). I mean, I don't expect it to be a f**king Ingmar Bergman Arthouse masterpiece, but I don't want to be treated like I'm an idiot the whole time either.

Here's the last thing I will mention regarding these "super" predators, this is taken from the same blog (all outta bubble gum)

Predator Kill Count = Predator-(Kevin Peter Hall) 11

Predator 2 Kill Count = Predator-(Kevin Peter Hall) 28

Predators Kill Count = Berserker Predator-(Brian Steele) 2 (this count INCLUDES the classic
                               "puddingtime" pred, so just one human, Stans)

Tracker Predator blows Noland to pieces
                               Nikolai blows himself up with Tracker 2 deaths for him, sort of
                               Hanzo kills Falconer with a sword
                               Hanzo dies too from getting cut by the Predator's blades 1 Death\Draw
                               Cuchillo killed off screen, Mombasa gets "Speared" - Both way to vague
                               to credit any one pred with

Numbers don't lie...

My god what a shame  :D when i saw that on your linked website , i just couldn't beleive it.
+ Their prey are not even a real bunch of badass.
Nikolai wasn't able to properly shoot at a preddog who was walking just 3m aways in front of him (too much Vodka)
Stan, Mombasa, Curchillo had nothing more than Dutch team &P2 victims (jamaicans &colombians & subway jerks + CIA agents)

The only 2 persons who really deserved to be hunt were Royce & Isabelle (maybe Hanzo for his melee skills) the 2 only survivors  :laugh:

And you know what's even funnier? Well it's the parachute failures (that killed a man at the very beginning of the movie) i mean they have spaceships, plasma weapons but they can't have reliable parachute

EDIT this movie was so much a fail  for me, that i lost a bite of my passion for the predator franchise.  :P

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: samoht on Jan 31, 2011, 11:15:23 AM
In all honesty, I think the game is reserve is just a ...... game reserve.

Nothing special. A place to hunt. Preds probably have to pay to enter the planet.

As for the preds who observe and capture the best humans and aliens for the reserve. Its probably their job. As in, they get their living by supplying the game reserve with good game.

I wouldn't take all this "ritual" thing so seriously.

Doesn't have to be a ritual, but if you're flying lightyears (and for the sake of argument, let's assume the Predators are sublight engines) just to ferry Danny Trejo from here to an early grave, there has to be some kind of significance. We can only speculate as to that significance is, but space is a big place.

Reminds me of the labyrinth on Crete, a little...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed