Would "Predators" have been better without the alpha predators?

Started by Badmothafcka312, Dec 02, 2010, 10:49:44 PM

Author
Would "Predators" have been better without the alpha predators? (Read 5,010 times)

Sgt. Shanx

No...it would not have been better...all three of the "berzerkers" were majorly cool...the hounds...the bio-falcon...cool...the blood fued story is solid...i really liked this movie and it's funny but i keep appreciating it more everytime i watch it....they gave us a nice appetizer to get us hungry....they savin the main course 4 some sequels im guessin....im sure the "classics" will get they're shine in the film/films to come....

Peakius Baragonius

Quote from: Sgt. Shanx on Dec 12, 2010, 12:23:19 AM
No...it would not have been better...all three of the "berzerkers" were majorly cool...the hounds...the bio-falcon...cool...the blood fued story is solid...i really liked this movie and it's funny but i keep appreciating it more everytime i watch it....they gave us a nice appetizer to get us hungry....they savin the main course 4 some sequels im guessin....im sure the "classics" will get they're shine in the film/films to come....

They'd better....

I just read the original Predators script, and honestly, I don't know what to think. I think some of the ideas in there would be worth exploring, but other parts are just terrible. And wow...I thought the Predator mortality rate in the finished film was bad!

With a bit of reworking, I think the original concept wouldn't have been so bad. I think and even hope we might see some of the ideas and areas explored in the sequel, but I also hope that they've been gone over with lots of red pen before they make it onto screen. A lot.

Sgt. Shanx

Quote from: Peakius Baragonius on Dec 12, 2010, 12:32:01 AM

They'd better....

I just read the original Predators script, and honestly, I don't know what to think. I think some of the ideas in there would be worth exploring, but other parts are just terrible. And wow...I thought the Predator mortality rate in the finished film was bad!

With a bit of reworking, I think the original concept wouldn't have been so bad. I think and even hope we might see some of the ideas and areas explored in the sequel, but I also hope that they've been gone over with lots of red pen before they make it onto screen. A lot.
Don't worry bro...i think of it like Star Wars...though i thouroughly enjoyed "The Phantom Menace"....numerous jedi...Mace Windu...Darth Maul...saber-staff...Liam Neeson as a jedi...i was left wanting so much more at the end...and then they produced with "Attack Of The Clones" and "Revenge Of The Sith"...i felt completed...hopefully they'll put this on an epic scale in a similar fashion...

Peakius Baragonius

Quote from: Sgt. Shanx on Dec 12, 2010, 10:30:32 PM
Quote from: Peakius Baragonius on Dec 12, 2010, 12:32:01 AM

They'd better....

Don't worry bro...i think of it like Star Wars...though i thouroughly enjoyed "The Phantom Menace"....numerous jedi...Mace Windu...Darth Maul...saber-staff...Liam Neeson as a jedi...i was left wanting so much more at the end...and then they produced with "Attack Of The Clones" and "Revenge Of The Sith"...i felt completed...hopefully they'll put this on an epic scale in a similar fashion...

Agreed about Phantom Menace.

That would be cool!
Spoiler
(As long as they don't make it as bad as Revenge of the Sith was, in my opinion of course...)
[close]

The_Worm

I saw the super preds as not being a clan so to speak but more so a group of insanely violent maniacs warped by the thrill of the kill and NOT the thrill of the hunt. I think the reason why classic was put into the film was to underscore that and without him we woulda just had a group of violent slasher like preds who hunt COMPLETELY differently than any preds we have ever seen on film before. That would have been ok I guess but I think Classic was put in for the long time fans almost like Rodriguez was letting us know that these new preds aren't the honorable type we are used to seeing which is why the predator that is familiar to us was tied up to a pike. Sure, they could have gone without including Classic all together, and while I would have been just fine with that, other fans may have hated the super preds even MORE because they dont hunt like the predator from the original movie.

THE ONLY thing I would have changed about this flick is I would have liked to see Classic actually run from the fight between he and Berzerker, take cover in the forest, and then proceed to hunt Berzerker down anytime style. But that probably woulda added an extra 10 minutes or so to the film that the studio wasn't willing to pay for in the first place.

Peakius Baragonius

Quote from: The_Worm on Dec 21, 2010, 07:40:02 PM
I saw the super preds as not being a clan so to speak but more so a group of insanely violent maniacs warped by the thrill of the kill and NOT the thrill of the hunt. I think the reason why classic was put into the film was to underscore that and without him we woulda just had a group of violent slasher like preds who hunt COMPLETELY differently than any preds we have ever seen on film before. That would have been ok I guess but I think Classic was put in for the long time fans almost like Rodriguez was letting us know that these new preds aren't the honorable type we are used to seeing which is why the predator that is familiar to us was tied up to a pike. Sure, they could have gone without including Classic all together, and while I would have been just fine with that, other fans may have hated the super preds even MORE because they dont hunt like the predator from the original movie.

THE ONLY thing I would have changed about this flick is I would have liked to see Classic actually run from the fight between he and Berzerker, take cover in the forest, and then proceed to hunt Berzerker down anytime style. But that probably woulda added an extra 10 minutes or so to the film that the studio wasn't willing to pay for in the first place.

That's a sound theory and idea, and I agree about how different and warped the Super Predators are...but that doesn't really come out in the film. Sure, we have the dogs and the bird and all that, but at the core they don't come across as very different from or superior to the Classic Predators. If anything, the movie makes Anytime, Kittyface, and Scar seem far superior in comparison, as they each take on far more people/Xenomorphs and survive. Falconer dies from a sword slash! (You know, I think he could have lived -- I'd like to see him return in the sequel!)

The_Worm

Sure I see your point, but I don't fault the film makers for any short comings on this film, I fault the studio. Fox wasn't pumped up about this flick, they blatantly said they took a "Lets see if this works" approach to it and they didn't really back it with funding nor did they back it with production time. The film makers had to take that lemon and make lemonade and they did a damn good job. Since Predators was a box office success, NOW the studio is interested in the franchise again enough to dole out some more cash for a sequel. Only time will tell.

And the reason why the Predator died from a sword slash was because it wasnt just ANY sword slash, it was blow dealt by a ninja with magical ninja sword slashing powers :P.

Seriously tho, I just enjoy the damn movie. Im happy to see predators back looking mean, acting mean, and not pg13.

Peakius Baragonius

Quote from: The_Worm on Dec 22, 2010, 10:52:57 PM
Sure I see your point, but I don't fault the film makers for any short comings on this film, I fault the studio. Fox wasn't pumped up about this flick, they blatantly said they took a "Lets see if this works" approach to it and they didn't really back it with funding nor did they back it with production time. The film makers had to take that lemon and make lemonade and they did a damn good job. Since Predators was a box office success, NOW the studio is interested in the franchise again enough to dole out some more cash for a sequel. Only time will tell.

And the reason why the Predator died from a sword slash was because it wasnt just ANY sword slash, it was blow dealt by a ninja with magical ninja sword slashing powers :P.

Seriously tho, I just enjoy the damn movie. Im happy to see predators back looking mean, acting mean, and not pg13.

But the Predators looked mean and acted mean in AVP.... ??? ??? ??? ??? Also, a PG-13 rating (or lower) does not a bad film make. 2001: A Space Oddyssey is one of the most mature films ever made (in the sense that even adults don't get it!) and yet it came out rated G (or rather, G as it was in the late 60s'). And if you want to argue about AVP's maturity, then that's a different argument altogether....

Other than that, good point. I knew Hanzo's tatoos were from his Hogwarts days.

Merry Christmas!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed