Why was Predators more acclaimed by critics and film fans then P2?

Started by Kev Loaf, Aug 02, 2010, 02:27:19 PM

Author
Why was Predators more acclaimed by critics and film fans then P2? (Read 8,923 times)

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Vulhala on Aug 04, 2010, 12:14:01 PM
Quote from: Master on Aug 04, 2010, 07:44:18 AM
Well guys I really don`t understand what was wrong in P2 acting.  Danny gave great performence with his "Violent Cop" attitude, and persistence to get his revenge. The rest also were preaty good. Especialy Gary Busey, Bill Paxton and Calvin Lockhart.

I have to disagree mate. I thought Paxton was terrible.

He was doing the same thing he did in Aliens.
Which was the same thing he did in Terminator.

Vulhala

In my opinion it was nothing like his performance in Aliens. He hammed it way up in P2. And he was in Terminator for what? 20 seconds? And he was supposed to be a dickhead in that, that was the point.

Ogata881

Predators is more acclaimed by critics,no doubt.

Master

Not exactly. In Aliens he was wise-ass, wannabe tough guy who freaked out after facing aliens. In P2 he was wise-ass, skirt-chaser but deep inside he was very competent and did what he could to get the job done. Also when Harrigan gave him speech he shown his persistence to be acknowledged as very good cop.

Vulhala

I wasn't talking about the characters he was playing though really mate. It was his acting I thought was terrible.

Master

All I`m trying to say that IMO he succeeded to play a role his been given cause all emotions he was supposed to share were delivered to viewers. ;)

Ghostface

Quote from: Vulhala on Aug 04, 2010, 12:14:01 PM
Quote from: Master on Aug 04, 2010, 07:44:18 AM
Well guys I really don`t understand what was wrong in P2 acting.  Danny gave great performence with his "Violent Cop" attitude, and persistence to get his revenge. The rest also were preaty good. Especialy Gary Busey, Bill Paxton and Calvin Lockhart.

I have to disagree mate. I thought Paxton was terrible.

Hey! Terrible is my specialty!

OpenMaw

I'll say this. I think Predator 2 has far more memorable moments and quotable one liners than Predators.

As far as story structure though, I think Predator 2 is a little iffy. Then again I guess that arguement could be made for Predators as well, being that it is incredibly derivitive of the form of the original, not the function.

I think the problem everyone has with Predator 2 is that its just so outragous in a lot of places that it doesnt really work as a believable film. The first Predator did indeed have a few over the top components, but it was overall well grounded in the concept of fighting men in the jungle, and everything was playing into that, and working towards that. In Predator 2 you have a few ideas playing against eachother, and it doesnt always click as well.

It just wasnt as good as Predator, and the negativity around it is understandable.

Vulhala

Quote from: Master on Aug 04, 2010, 02:17:34 PM
All I`m trying to say that IMO he succeeded to play a role his been given cause all emotions he was supposed to share were delivered to viewers. ;)

I can dig it  ;)

Master

I`m more then glad  ;D

Crayola Ola

It is better, that's why.  ::)

trailpimp

After the hype Pre predators and the post not so orgasmic chill after the screening. I`m beggining to see that people, in a general sense are coming to their senses an seeing this Predators thing for what it really is:

Utter movie trash.

Don't wanna sound like the old man with the "I told you so" one liner, but from the get go when all the leaks, and talks and promises and interviews and OST previews I was very skeptical about the quality of this release. (just read my posts).

To me there's only two movies Pred and Pred 2. By the way I prefer P2. Don't believe anyone is interested why but I'll tell ya anyway. Jim and john thomas send an almost subliminar message that flows throughout the movie: that predators visit our planet through the ages so much so that they're ingrained in some cultures to the point that they're part of their beliefs and rites. (king Willy) Of course movie goers craving for some macho muscle lost the whole point that this movie offered.And  the fact that pred 2 had so many memorable movie moments and cool weapons helped that too...  ;)

I was surprised with score over at RTomatoes, but then again nowadays these punk critics give average and full scores to whatever hollywood vomits. Frankly, after AvP crap anything was going to be a masterpiece by comparison.

Neil Marshall is a director , Nimrod is directed.

Predators is less scary than the morning round of a forest park ranger slaped on tape.

SiL

Rotten Tomatoes' averages are completely meaningless.

Fleshtrap666

Quote from: SiL on Aug 17, 2010, 12:52:53 AM
Rotten Tomatoes' averages are completely meaningless.

Most critics in general are dude. As I said in another post if I really tried, I could think of at least a dozen movies I absolutely loved that got SLAMMED by critics/reviewers. Since when did critics opinions become facts to everyone? I'm honestly 50/50 on the whole Predators vs Predator 2 thing. Both of them had flaws no doubt, but I enjoyed both films which is what is important in the end.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed