Why was Predators more acclaimed by critics and film fans then P2?

Started by Kev Loaf, Aug 02, 2010, 02:27:19 PM

Author
Why was Predators more acclaimed by critics and film fans then P2? (Read 8,922 times)

Corporal Hicks

I definitely wouldn't say it's more favoured. Probably equal.

I personally prefer Predators over P2 based on acting alone. But Predator 2 had a better expansion of the Predator.

Depends on your opinions.

Kev Loaf

Quote from: spinksy on Aug 02, 2010, 04:48:23 PM
predator 2 faults (towards end of film)

-Pred takes shotgun shots and shrugs them off
-Preds face when he says \\\'motherf**ker\\\' to Glover is ridiculous
-Predator loses his mask and still see\\\'s in mask vision
-He activates his wrist bomb just because hes hanging from a building - which imo is stupid
-He thinks he\\\'s sliced Glover when you\\\'d clearly realise you hadnt

So why do you think Predators was better recieved then P2? Just only those reasons?

I personally believe it was better recieved is that it made the Predators bad guys again and added a sence of dread and tension to the situation that the prey found them in. This is one of the reasons why everyone loves the original; Anytime the cold hearted killer taking out a team of humans one by one. Although, Predators did not execute this concept as good as the original it made a good effort. Whereas P2 had no dread, no tension and just involved a bunch of pointless action sequences which added nothing to the story intercut with Harrigan looking like he aint taken a shit for 1 week (sorry master).

Kev Loaf

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 02, 2010, 04:52:00 PM
I definitely wouldn\'t say it\'s more favoured. Probably equal.

I personally prefer Predators over P2 based on acting alone. But Predator 2 had a better expansion of the Predator.

Depends on your opinions.

Yes I agree, its 50/50 among the Pred community - some people think its better then P2, some people dont. However, if you look at the bigger film community its more towards Predators. I am a memeber of numerous film forums and the general consensus from Non Pred Fan-boy cinema fans is that Predators, although not perfect, is an improvement from P2 and AvP. This is why Im asking, do people like Predators because it was actually good or do they like it because its an improvement from P2?

You like Predators - would you still have liked it if P2 and AvP not been made or been good movies?

Also, how did P2 give better expansion to the Predator? Sorry English is not my first language so I may not understand what you mean by expansion. Do you mean it created the Yautja theme of comics or something else?

Corporal Hicks

I mean how it had more weaponry, different Predator appearances, showed up more Predators, showed up different vision modes, showed up all the skulls.

I think, as a movie, Predators is better. It has a better tone, it has a better style, it has better acting. Don't get me know, I love Predator 2 but it was filled with ham. But as a Predator film, it's a shame the new Predators weren't given time to become individuals or threatening.

Kev Loaf

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 02, 2010, 05:06:52 PM
I mean how it had more weaponry, different Predator appearances, showed up more Predators, showed up different vision modes, showed up all the skulls.

I think, as a movie, Predators is better. It has a better tone, it has a better style, it has better acting. Don\'t get me know, I love Predator 2 but it was filled with ham. But as a Predator film, it\'s a shame the new Predators weren\'t given time to become individuals or threatening.

I agree with you in regards to the hammy tone of P2.

I also agree that the new Predators where not developed enough. However, I believe that this movie is just the Prologue of a greater bigger story that RR has planned...does anyone else get this vibe?

I personally believe that there is no significance difference between the time spent developing the Predators in the new movie and the time spent developing Anytime in the original film. The original film has one distinct advantage in that respects, its the original! Every time we saw Anytime on screen during the original it was something new, something we have never seen before so naturally it appears as if they have dedicated a lot of time developing the Predator. Whereas, unfortunately for Predators, the min the Predators appeared on screen we knew what to expect. I guess RR failed in that respect since he should have offered something new, yes he brought the dogs and team hunting concept, but I would have liked some more scenes which add to the Predators fear factor e.g. skinning scene, something blood thirsty etc

Xhan

The framing is pretty key. Whilst 's has better actors (for the most part and for the humans) and 2 had way better Preds and sense of doom, the framing in P2 is completely ridiculous. Pussyface is legit as legit can get, and the new breed doesn't really compete in anything other than tricks and tech, but P2's ridiculous settings and trappings belong in a 70s blaxploitation movie. Predators may not have the edge in actual Preds, but the (human) actors are awesome, and the film is mostly devoid of the cheese smell that permeates 2.

Kev Loaf

Quote from: Xhan on Aug 02, 2010, 06:03:14 PM
The framing is pretty key. Whilst \'s has better actors (for the most part and for the humans) and 2 had way better Preds and sense of doom, the framing in P2 is completely ridiculous. Pussyface is legit as legit can get, and the new breed doesn\'t really compete in anything other than tricks and tech, but P2\'s ridiculous settings and trappings belong in a 70s blaxploitation movie. Predators may not have the edge in actual Preds, but the (human) actors are awesome, and the film is mostly devoid of the cheese smell that permeates 2.

I pretty much agree with you but I never saw the sense of doom that you refer to in P2? In fact, I believe that Predators was the first film since the original to have any sort of tension or sense of doom and this is why it was better recieved.

The Captain

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 02, 2010, 05:06:52 PM

I think, as a movie, Predators is better. It has a better tone, it has a better style, it has better acting. Don't get me know, I love Predator 2 but it was filled with ham. But as a Predator film, it's a shame the new Predators weren't given time to become individuals or threatening.

Pretty much exactly my thoughts on the matter

jordan

Predators is shit compared to Predator 2.  The dust has  yet to settle.  Everytime theres an inferior update, there'll always be kool-aid drinkers who get swept up in excitement, even so-called 'fanboys'.  I remember it well with Terminator 3.  Just a shocking sequel (Not that Predators is bad), but some insisted it was cool.

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Kev Loaf on Aug 02, 2010, 06:00:23 PM

I personally believe that there is no significance difference between the time spent developing the Predators in the new movie and the time spent developing Anytime in the original film. The original film has one distinct advantage in that respects, its the original! Every time we saw Anytime on screen during the original it was something new, something we have never seen before so naturally it appears as if they have dedicated a lot of time developing the Predator. Whereas, unfortunately for Predators, the min the Predators appeared on screen we knew what to expect. I guess RR failed in that respect since he should have offered something new, yes he brought the dogs and team hunting concept, but I would have liked some more scenes which add to the Predators fear factor e.g. skinning scene, something blood thirsty etc

Sorry but Preds had the least Predator development out of all the films.
Specially since we were told before the film the little it had.

Bishop2

Quote from: jordan on Aug 02, 2010, 07:06:17 PM
Predators is shit compared to Predator 2.  The dust has  yet to settle.  Everytime theres an inferior update, there'll always be kool-aid drinkers who get swept up in excitement, even so-called 'fanboys'. 

You win.

Federick Gonsa

Predators is shit compared to Predator 2.  The dust has  yet to settle.  Everytime theres an inferior update, there'll always be kool-aid drinkers who get swept up in excitement, even so-called 'fanboys'.  I remember it well with Terminator 3.  Just a shocking sequel (Not that Predators is bad), but some insisted it was cool.

I liked 'Terminator 3' more than the other films in the series.

Corporal Hicks

I wouldn't call it shit, at all. It was still flawed. Like I'm constantly saying, too many Predators! But it's quality of acting leaves Predator 2 in the dust.

spinksy

It's not shit - hence why it got good reviews!

DaddyYautja

Quote from: spinksy on Aug 02, 2010, 04:48:23 PM
predator 2 faults (towards end of film)

-Pred takes shotgun shots and shrugs them off
-Preds face when he says 'motherf**ker' to Glover is ridiculous
-Predator loses his mask and still see's in mask vision
-He activates his wrist bomb just because hes hanging from a building - which imo is stupid
-He thinks he's sliced Glover when you'd clearly realise you hadnt

- Who says he shrugged them off ?
- This Pred is down with human culture, he probably likes rap.
- He got shot a bunch of times, he was so dizzy he saw in a different spectrum. The ice to the face didnt help either.
- He got shot a whole bunch of times close range, he knew he wasnt going to make it so he wanted to make sure Harrigan went too.
- He got shot a whole bunch of times at close range and he injected himself with space PCP so he could make it to ship. That dude was spent.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed