HIDEOUS PLASTIC

Started by windebieste, Dec 08, 2016, 03:23:26 AM

Author
HIDEOUS PLASTIC (Read 22,379 times)

windebieste

windebieste

It's one of the problems the older Kenner figure has.  Those things are almost 40 years old now and the teeth (not so much the tongue) can frequently be found to have patches of chrome missing from them. 

Anyway, I've added the 1984 Tsukuda Hobby ALIEN Jumbo Figure to the gallery.   This odd figure checks a few boxes.  It was an Officially licenced product manufactured in Japan.  It was derived from the original 1979 Kenner Products action figure (and it shows).  It was the first ALIEN figure to have a flexible wire core tail.  It was promoted at being "OVER 18 INCHES TALL" but it wasn't...  I could go on and on but I won't.  LOL:

Have fun with this piece of weirdness. 

-Windebieste.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

The dome is too large for the figure and the rear end of the Alien's skull is a seperate piece? Nice box art.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Amazing pictures. I'm thrilled to see it coming along, winde!

windebieste

windebieste

They were made like that.  The dome is too big and the back of the head is a separate piece.  lol.

I have no idea why they broke up the back of the head into separate pieces.  I am at a loss on that one; but I can at least offer some reason to the oversized dome. 

The Tsukuda figure is a little shorter than the Kenner item it is directly derived from.  It appears like the manufacturer neglected to scale down the dome for it accordingly.  As a result, yeah, the dome looks too big.  That's because it is.  It doesn't fit will on the Kenner figure, though. The front has been truncated a little; as if in an effort to correct the size mismatch.

Here's a close up of the back of the head:

The mismatched dome and rear head piece are blatantly obvious and as ugly as you can get in terms of presentation and finish but there's another feature of note here as well.  The figure is a direct derivation of the original Kenner item with many recognisable features in place but the entire jaw mechanism system has been completely removed.  Above, you can see where the trigger cavity once existed and how it's been filled in on the Tsukuda figure.  It's a clumsy piece of work and there is a noticeable bulge in the underside where the cavity has been poorly filled in.  Surface features (hoses) abruptly terminate at this point. 

It's not to hard to trace the shape of the trigger cavity when compared to the original figure:

The rest of the Tsukuda figure is OK and the introduction of the wire core tail was a great idea; but when the head is messed up like this so much, it ruins the overall presentation.  This sloppy work and shoddy finish should have been avoided on the Japanese pressing instead of the 1 minute hack job present in the figure.  Mind you, as far as I am concerned, it provides additional content for my purposes.

-Windebieste.

Thank you, Mr. V.. 

Everything is coming along fine, I am pleased to say.   ;)

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: windebieste on Dec 20, 2016, 10:29:19 PM
They were made like that.  The dome is too big and the back of the head is a separate piece.  lol.

I have no idea why they broke up the back of the head into separate pieces.  I am at a loss on that one; but I can at least offer some reason to the oversized dome. 

The Tsukuda figure is a little shorter than the Kenner item it is directly derived from.  It appears like the manufacturer neglected to scale down the dome for it accordingly.  As a result, yeah, the dome looks too big.  That's because it is.  It doesn't fit will on the Kenner figure, though. The front has been truncated a little; as if in an effort to correct the size mismatch.

Here's a close up of the back of the head:

Now the back end looks even more like the head of a penis.

windebieste

windebieste

'Glans' is the word I believe you are looking for; and yes.  It adds that extra depth of phallic symbolism. 

The 6th item has been added to the HIDEOUS PLASTIC Image Gallery.  This entry visually documents Tsukuda Hobby's 1995 derivation of Kenner Product's alien action figure.

-Windebieste.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Is that vinyl carapace yellow-tinted or yellowed from age?

windebieste

windebieste

I think it's a case of both.  I know the carapace was originally cast as tinted but aging has further added a smoky hue to it.  The carapace on it's sibling figure, the silver Tsukuda Hobby Alien had a clear carapace; which, over the years has slightly yellowed.  As the carapaces on both figures is made of the same material some yellowing is likely to have taken place on the older '95 pressing. 

Which of course is the cue that segues to this item...

A gallery of images for the 1997 Tsukuda Hobby Silver Completed ALIEN Model has been posted on HIDEOUS PLASTIC.  Have fun with this item.  It's a different pressing pulled from the same molds as the 1995 Tsukuda Hobby figure shown immediately above.  Enjoy!

-Windebieste.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

I think it looks better with this duller shade of silver rather than the shiny chrome-plated finish. It reminds me of the shots of it emerging from it's nest aboard the shuttle - with the strobing lights giving the Alien a ghostly silver appearance.

windebieste

windebieste

That's an interesting way to interpret the duller luster of the Tsukuda Hobby figure. 

All the same, look at what's arrived just in time for Christmas.  Yes.  Another addition to the Gallery section of HIDEOUS PLASTIC.

This time the baroque and overly ostentatious gold edition of Gentle Giant's 24 inch tall tribute figure gets its own set of images in the Gallery.  Wouldn't it be amazing if one of those 3 Wise Kings gave one of these things to little baby Jesus.  Now that would be something!

-Windebieste.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

I'd rather see people dancing around this than a Golden calf.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I can see the skull.

windebieste

windebieste

Yes.  Yes, you can see the skull.  As many of these items are derived from the original Kenner ALIEN action figure, they almost all have the skull.

You can even see the skull with the lights turned off on the original figure!  Here, look.  See?  GLOW IN THE DARK SKULL!

Magnificent!   :laugh:

Anyway, I've added a set of images of the only version of the figure that doesn't feature the skull to the site Gallery.  Presenting the Super 7 Faux 1986 Prototype ALIEN limited edition action figure.  It's a fake test shot for a figure that never existed based on the original Kenner Products figure.  Cool, huh:

-Windebieste.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: windebieste on Dec 26, 2016, 07:04:56 AM
Yes.  Yes, you can see the skull.  As many of these items are derived from the original Kenner ALIEN action figure, they almost all have the skull.

You can even see the skull with the lights turned off on the original figure!  Here, look.  See?  GLOW IN THE DARK SKULL!

Magnificent!   :laugh:

Anyway, I've added a set of images of the only version of the figure that doesn't feature the skull to the site Gallery.  Presenting the Super 7 Faux 1986 Prototype ALIEN limited edition action figure.  It's a fake test shot for a figure that never existed based on the original Kenner Products figure.  Cool, huh:

-Windebieste.
You mean ALIENS ? Not really a fan of the Cameron/Winston re-design for the classic Alien but that figure looks good!

windebieste

windebieste

Oh, yeah.  Sure.  'ALIENS', to be more precise.   ;)

I never felt that the removal of the carapace and other modifications did any favours to the creature design.  It was perfect to start with.  Actually, I always felt those changes permitted other Directors to have free licence to do whatever they wanted with the design.  The revisions started with Cameron.  All those crummy latter ADI designs... Blame Cameron.  LOL.

If Cameron had strictly stuck to Giger's original vision, then those later deviations wouldn't have been so easy to get away with.  Gah. 

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed