Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 209,963 times)

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on May 12, 2021, 04:00:27 PM
Well, the seraph surely looks less romantic than this  :laugh:

And while one can see the ophanim, I am missing the cherub there.  :-\

Ah the Victorian Cherubs, meant to represent God's presence.

Not to be confused with Cherubim:

Xeno Killer 2179

Xeno Killer 2179

Pretty sure cherubim are 4 wings, never six.

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: Xeno Killer 2179 on Jul 08, 2021, 06:22:28 AM
Pretty sure cherubim are 4 wings, never six.

True, six wings are Seraphim. But that painting is the only one to attempt a likeness of the Cherubim that is three dimensional.

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

Bump..

Does anyone think Yautja, the species name of the Predator is homage to Jah or Yah, the god of Rastafarianism? I mean the Predators have dreadlocks like the Rastafarians.

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jul 15, 2021, 02:12:39 AM
Only through the power of Christ can the Alien turn from their evil ways.

It is interesting how Christianity keeps popping up in the Alien films.

Aliens: Bishop the Android has the name of a Church office called Overseer who is in charge of many dioceses. Vasquez is seen wearing a cross (easiest to see at the mess hall scene), and she makes a sacrifice to save Ripley, Hicks, and Newt.
Alien 3: The Giant Cross Structure at the beginning, hymns, Apocalyptic Christian Inmates. Ripley dies in cruciform shape, killing the queen in molten lead which can be analogy of the lake of fire, hell, inferno. 
Alien Ressurection: Call makes the sign of the cross in a chapel, and Ripely pulls up a iPad Bible they use to take over Father.
Prometheus: Elizabeth Shaw wears a cross, the film focuses on it several times includ> Shaw: Where is my cross?.. David, After all this yiu still believe.
Alien Covenant: Christopher: Because a man of faith can't be trusted to make rational decisions. He then later says he needs to gather his flock, a term paying homage to pastors who are suppose to guard the flock, pastor meaning put out to pasture and Christ being the Good Shepherd.

Interestingly all these Alien films have different directors, James Cameron, David Fincher, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, and Ridley Scott.

Only Alien seems to have a lack of Christian themes. But I must do a rewatch to see if there is something.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: City Hunter Yautja on Jul 15, 2021, 03:10:43 AM
Only Alien seems to have a lack of Christian themes. But I must do a rewatch to see if there is something.

Quote from: H.R.GigerSo I build up this egg with a top like a vagina. But when the producers turned up in my studio, they exclaimed, "Oh that's too specific! We can't show such things in Catholic countries. Can't you change the egg just a little bit?" So to satisfy Catholic audiences, I modified the egg, and made the opening a cross on the top.

Quote from: H.R.GigerWhen the gentlemen are beginning to get over it, I allow myself to ask whether they like it. Scott thinks it's too good, and Carroll too specific. He's afraid it will get them into trouble, especially in the Catholic countries. Dilley would rather have something more like a flower opening. This suggestion gives me the idea of doubling the bud effect and laying the two, one across the other. Seen from above, they would form the cross that people in the Catholic countries are so fond of looking at. Once again I can satisfy the producers, myself and the public at home and abroad.

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

Dallas does say Christ in Alien and Ash says "Mother of God."

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

I don't think minor blasphemy in stressful situations is a religious theme.

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jul 15, 2021, 09:03:33 PM
I don't think minor blasphemy in stressful situations is a religious theme.

True, but saying "Mother of God" is unusual. Most say "Christ" or "Jesus" in a swear.

Reluctant Jeri

Reluctant Jeri

Wasn't the Mother console room meant to evoke a church with candles, sure I heard that somewhere.

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: Reluctant Jeri on Jul 15, 2021, 10:30:38 PM
Wasn't the Mother console room meant to evoke a church with candles, sure I heard that somewhere.

Interesting, I know the Weyland Symbol has the wings of Ahura Mazda, Zoroastrianism.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Darth Vader is my favorite angel

Ivan The Insect

Ivan The Insect

Born into a protestant family (dating as far back as the very introduction of protestantism here) in a predominantly orthodox christian nation with an atheist dad.

Grew up in church, was taught by mom to be open minded and trust what I feel is right as well as never to judge myself or others because more often than not people act more cruelly and unforgiving than any god ever would.

Learned not to mention science or my own views on life and what lies beyond because people don't like to question themselves nor let others do the same.

Realised faith and science can not only coexist but be a healthy balance for a person if they're wise enough not to mix them when they obviously serve different functions and needs.

Like to say religion is to faith what politics are to sociality. One is more natural and points inwards while the other is more artificially constructed and is projected outwards. Faith is and should always be a personal matter.

As for my official designation... Considering there's more denominations in christianity nowadays than there are catalogued beetle species I'd stick to the good old "I'm a christian".

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed