Best pic of an Alien

Started by War Wager, Sep 19, 2007, 05:58:14 PM

Author
Best pic of an Alien (Read 1,634,238 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Nyarlathotep on Feb 16, 2017, 10:56:51 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 16, 2017, 07:35:43 PM
I wish we could see what they looked like before Cameron made them take off the dome.  At least they got rid of the skull too.

What's with your hatred of the skull?

It's ugly and makes the alien look silly.  I prefer its "face" to be eyeless and smooth.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: Nyarlathotep on Feb 16, 2017, 11:40:45 PM
And what exactly makes it "no good?"
Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 16, 2017, 11:43:21 PM

It's ugly and makes the alien look silly.  I prefer its "face" to be eyeless and smooth.
Exactly this.

Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

So I take it that you guys aren't fans of the Big Chap then?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I like him just fine so long as I can't see the skull through the dome.

Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

Fair enough.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

Again, exactly what Local Trouble said. I remember in my teens when I  found out about the skull, my respect of the horror of the Alien went down. No eye sockets and an unknown large cranium with an instinct to only kill was just horrifying to me before the skull came about to my knowledge. Then it became an "oh man" kinda respect. NO SKULL.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I'm the exact opposite, when I found out about the skull I thought it added to the terror and creep factor. I think it looks cool and disturbing, it's best when you can just barely get a glimpse of it through the dome.

cliffhanger

cliffhanger

I'll speak for myself as i detest the skull too.

First of all, i dont fully detest the skull. I do like it's presence suggesting human dna involvement, perhaps even somewhat 'pushing' the envolope into human presence, preferably a level of human awareness (it would be extra creepy if the chestburster did not pop but cause metamorphosis and like fifield, the being turns into an alien and in that case it would keep it's human host's 'memories' or perhaps even maintain some form of awareness, like the person is aware it's transformed but not 'in control' ).

I only like it when you see it only ever so faintly/slightly. I dont like a full transparant dome nor a very clear presence of the skull. Under the right lighting, i think i like seeing it somewhat.

The reason why i dont like the skull too visible,
is that it takes away from the alien-ness and it becomes too much of a 'frankenstein' deformed morbid entity.

Pvt. Himmel

Pvt. Himmel

What an awesome movie idea. 8)

By Kreetak

Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 17, 2017, 12:52:25 AM
I'm the exact opposite, when I found out about the skull I thought it added to the terror and creep factor. I think it looks cool and disturbing, it's best when you can just barely get a glimpse of it through the dome.
Agreed
Quote from: cliffhanger on Feb 17, 2017, 10:22:48 AM
I'll speak for myself as i detest the skull too.

First of all, i dont fully detest the skull. I do like it's presence suggesting human dna involvement, perhaps even somewhat 'pushing' the envolope into human presence, preferably a level of human awareness (it would be extra creepy if the chestburster did not pop but cause metamorphosis and like fifield, the being turns into an alien and in that case it would keep it's human host's 'memories' or perhaps even maintain some form of awareness, like the person is aware it's transformed but not 'in control' ).

I only like it when you see it only ever so faintly/slightly. I dont like a full transparant dome nor a very clear presence of the skull. Under the right lighting, i think i like seeing it somewhat.

The reason why i dont like the skull too visible,
is that it takes away from the alien-ness and it becomes too much of a 'frankenstein' deformed morbid entity.
I think that you and I are largely in agreement on this matter, seeing that I also think the skull works best when it's hinted at instead of outright shown.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Winston's skull-free head with a more transparent dome to show off the sculpted ridges a bit better would be the best version, IMO.  Better than Giger's, even, because the ridges on his version were merely airbrushed.

Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

I must disagree, despite the airbrushing I find Giger's Alien to far superior to Winston's.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Nyarlathotep on Feb 17, 2017, 09:38:12 PM
I must disagree, despite the airbrushing I find Giger's Alien to be far superior to Winston's.

As much as I like Winston's alien, Big Chap is superior in my opinion as well.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 17, 2017, 09:48:32 PM
I must disagree, despite the airbrushing I find Giger's Alien to be far superior to Winston's.

But it has the skull.

Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 17, 2017, 09:59:43 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 17, 2017, 09:48:32 PM

But it has the skull.
Which is one of the reasons that it is better.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed