Portal Games

Started by Wolfy, Feb 03, 2007, 10:13:36 PM

Author
Portal Games (Read 20,097 times)

DragonBossk

DragonBossk

I'm definitely up so some PC co-op, steam account ID: manley91

I'm in the AVP Galaxy group so I'll try adding those interested later.

Troll Cat

Troll Cat

I have steam. Also hi :D ID: Gold Light [Zila]

scarhunter92

scarhunter92

Anybody has checked out the level editor? It's pretty f**king sweet and easy as hell to use.
Here's my first level:http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68641703] [url]http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68641703[/url]

KNIGHT

KNIGHT

Now if only they would release the level editor for consoles, too.   :'(

Kradan

Kradan

Firstly, you should know that i like Portal games. No, i love them. No, I DO LOVE THEM. I DO f**kING LOVE THEM AS HELL! You understood.

So, i've decided to create this topic to see are here still some as dedicated Portal fans as me. Portal 2 came out about 8 years ago and i think now it's pretty unfair forgotten despite even the fact that Valve considers Portal 2 as best game developed by company (Wikipedia thinks so)

Of course, the most famous part of Portal is its GAMEPLAY and i'm not gonna to dig really into how great it is. It's just enjoyable unusuall challenge for your mind. But there's big issue with its gameplay - after completing all tests it's not very interesting solving them again because you've already know the answer. I've recently replayed Portal 2 and still remember how to solve all of them.

But here's STORY comes to save the day. What really makes me go back again and again to Portal games is its narrative. Gameplay was original and unique enough for its time and i'm just impressed how much effort was put into story. Especially with Portal 2 - his game has a few of really great twists that cause powerful emotional response to it. SPOILER ALERT!
Spoiler
When Wheatley betrays you and throws into the shaft. When you realised that Glados was human in past. And Moon ending of course
[close]
It's impressive how much effort developers put into the story of Aperture and its founders. I think that if in first game story was tool to attract to game not only puzzle-lovers but casual players than in second one story becomes the main part of game and gameplay starts to feel just as nice addition to it.

And CHARACTERS. Portal 1&2 gave us a few most memorable characters not only in games history but in history itself. I think Portal games proves that as less characters you have as more character's development you get. And what's great is that mostly in the games characters interact with player only by their voices! You don't see them much but you get feeling of real multi-dimensional characters. I love Glados very much. Wheatley though. - I can't sympathize him but he was really great and funny in the same time villain. And Cave Johnson's character. His monologue about lemons is really amusing and in the same time is talk of man who lost confidence of what he thought was deal of his life.

And HUMOUR is great. I like how in Portal 1 Glados pretends as non-emotional AI that drops some unwanted hints of lethal danger. I like how in Portal 2 she treat player with sarcastic jokes and direct offenses. I like Wheatley always talking some bullshit about nothing and really worrying about looking smart. I like Cave Johnson comments that show how much he cares about further pushing of science and how little about real living people.

OST for games is really great. I like how in Portal it's created feeling of isolation, how in Portal 2 it makes story looking really epic.

Spoiler
And songs. Is it really necessary to say that they're great? I don't think so.
[close]

Also Portal 1&2 have ones of the most memorable endings. Portal 2 has one of the most bittersweet ending in game history (and thanks to the game i learned a new word  ;D)

Spoiler

Kradan

Kradan

I love original two but I never have been into these modifications. How is it?

Vertigo

Vertigo

Could make a case for Portal 2 being the best game of all time IMO. It's the apex of the storytelling mechanisms that Valve developed throughout the Half-Life games, the story itself is decent, the worldbuilding is some of the best in gaming, good characters, great voice acting, it's incredibly atmospheric, it's pretty damn funny, the gameplay is satisfying and incredibly slick.

There are other games I enjoy more, but I don't think there are any that I appreciate more.

Kradan

Kradan

EXACTLY! Let me shake your hand!  ;)

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Kradan on Mar 03, 2019, 11:07:04 AM
It's not really a mod, but it's described as one so that you can't just download it and play it on its own.

It's a full Portal campaign, slightly more difficult than Portal 2, with full voice acting and a storyline which fits really well with the original series. It's basically a whole new Portal game, with everything you'd expect from a Portal game, just not made by Valve.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Stitch on Mar 03, 2019, 12:55:29 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Mar 03, 2019, 11:07:04 AM
It's not really a mod, but it's described as one so that you can't just download it and play it on its own.

It's a full Portal campaign, slightly more difficult than Portal 2, with full voice acting and a storyline which fits really well with the original series. It's basically a whole new Portal game, with everything you'd expect from a Portal game, just not made by Valve.

Sounds great. Definetly needs a check out.

Kradan

Kradan

What i also like about Portal 1 & 2 is that these games inspired some talented artists

TwinklePowderySnow from DeviantArt for instance:

Kradan

Kradan

DeepChrome (another one for DeviantArt) stuff is also great:

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Just played these for the first time and absolutely loved them.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 18, 2019, 08:22:38 PM
Just played these for the first time and absolutely loved them.

Really? I'm GLAD to hear it  :)

What i also love about Portal games is developer's comentary featurre. It shows how much thought was put in everything and just makes you appreciate these even more.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed