Can we just forget about the Predator Hierarchy?

Started by Jigsaw85, Jun 14, 2018, 11:32:59 PM

Author
Can we just forget about the Predator Hierarchy? (Read 7,855 times)

OpenMaw

They're hunters, that's the point.

Yes, you can do variations on that, and like I said Bad Blood took it in a different direction, and yeah if you wanted I suppose you could do something equivalent to a group of Predator space marines. But no, the rest of it is silliness.

PredBabe

PredBabe

I don't disagree that the AVP movie homogenized the Predators; I think that bothered me most with the direction they took the Predator, even more than the redesign of the face. AVPR actually tried to break away from that and brought some individuality back with Wolf though. Some media outlets just take it to an nth degree to the point where it comes off goofy or cliché. But I think in general the concepts of hierarchy being a part of their society works perfectly for reasons explained above. When you look past the actual hunt itself and consider the amount of (ritualistic) planning that goes into their hunts; from deciding where and when, to who gets to partake, there is likely a load of politics involved that probably is best left out of a movie.

As far as honor or rules of hunting is concerned, I think Predator 2 really established this farther than the first movie (though I have heard some people argue that Anytime probably could have set his bomb to a shorter count down if he really wanted to be a poor sport and take Dutch out... but then again City Hunter had a conveniently long fuse as well). I can't imagine City Hunter impressing any one of his buddies with the skull of a child and the fact that he took an extra moment to reevaluate the kid with the toy gun makes me think that even he didn't want to have to kill the kid. The way the ending of Predator 2 plays out is arguably honorable for them considering. The fact that the Elder (or anyone else on the ship for that matter) didn't take matters into his own hands and end Harrigan for having reached their ship (and likely humiliate City Hunter in such a process) I think has to do greatly with honor and respect.   

Quote from: Wysps on Jun 16, 2018, 09:05:43 PM
I don't subscribe to the honor and clan loyalty either (well, not completely), but goodness I want something more than redneck Duck Dynasty predators :o That may have been the original concept, but I've definitely never gotten that vibe from any of the movies or media.

I think the whole "honor" thing is what appeals to a lot of fans! Or I thought anyway. Their not looking to annihilate anything and everything even though they easily could with their weapons. It is a good time for them I'm sure but within reason. 

OpenMaw

Respect, yes. Honor, no. They respect that Harrigan managed not only to stand in a fight in single combat, but they he actually beat City Hunter. They begrudgingly respect a worthy adversary. Hence trophies. Every trophy is a story. A memory.

They don't kill the unarmed, and they don't kill women who are pregnant or vulnerable/of breeding age. Why? Because hunters avoid killing Doe's and Children. Being true to the concept that they are hunters. There's no sport in it.

Let's not forget that City Hunter had no qualms murdering an elderly woman on the subway. Yeah, she had a gun. But that's demonstrates what i'm saying. This isn't about honor. They do it for fun. Sport. Thrill. Honor is an entirely separate concept and it has nothing to do with what the first two films are demonstrating.

City Hunter brought shame to himself by being such an arrogant little shit.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 16, 2018, 09:50:09 PM

Allowing the "ooman" to track him and whup his booty all the way back to the ship and his comrades didn't help any.

YTL_Hunter_H2

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 17, 2018, 01:44:11 AM

Allowing the "ooman" to track him and whup his booty all the way back to the ship and his comrades didn't help any.
they weren't suppose to help him. His hunt his fight he lost. They respected that. Need more of that significance in society these days. Own ur loss without depending on others and grow from it or in city's case die from it

Huggs

Quote from: YTL_Hunter_H2 on Jun 17, 2018, 03:43:28 AM

they weren't suppose to help him. His hunt his fight he lost. They respected that. Need more of that significance in society these days. Own ur loss without depending on others and grow from it or in city's case die from it

My point was that he compromised opsec. He led a human right to their ship. No doubt that was dishonorable. Bringing his troubles and failures home, put others at risk.

OpenMaw

Not to mention it's just a bitch move.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 17, 2018, 04:44:06 AM
Not to mention it's just a bitch move.

Exactly. He got his ass handed to him and he runs for his buddies. Jungle hunter didn't. And what if Glover had been part of a military unit? What if he'd had authority to call in some serious heat? Could've brought some serious trouble back home with him.

Most of all, he set his gauntlet and was about to wipe out how many city blocks? That also happen to be full of women, children and the elderly. And with his brethren and their ship under a nearby building too. That's not gonna wipe them all out and call attention to their activities, no sir.

PredBabe

PredBabe

:laugh:

Maybe they were thankful Harrigan got rid of him.  :P

The hunt in Predator 2 seemed to hold more meaning than a bunch of hick aliens getting their thrill on just another hunt. The fact that none of the others stepped in makes me think that it was some sort of coming of age ritual that City Hunter failed to complete (on many levels as has been pointed out)... which reverts back to the idea that there is some sort of hierarchy amongst them when they go on these glorified hunting trips.

huntin8-t0n

Quote from: PredBabe on Jun 17, 2018, 07:08:23 AM

:laugh:

Maybe they were thankful Harrigan got rid of him.  :P

The hunt in Predator 2 seemed to hold more meaning than a bunch of hick aliens getting their thrill on just another hunt. The fact that none of the others stepped in makes me think that it was some sort of coming of age ritual that City Hunter failed to complete (on many levels as has been pointed out)... which reverts back to the idea that there is some sort of hierarchy amongst them when they go on these glorified hunting trips.

Some type of hierarchy, yes, but not necessarily sg based on the hunt/ experience. As said before, and I agree, I think the creatures' society is much more than that.

Others not stepping in doesn't mean initiation, as I see. I think city hunter was just as capable as others. He even had more gear than jungle hunter. I think it just wasn't their business, they all were there for the sport, and that fight wasn't their game.

Huggs

Yep. What I meant to say was that him bringing trouble back to the ship and also back to his comrades did not help their view of him any. They stayed out of it because it wasn't their business, but I doubt they looked favorably on him running back to home base.

Heck, he left his arm behind. Now the humans have biological information.

OpenMaw

An arm, and a piece of a gauntlet, a spear tip(And he has no excuse on that one!), his friggn' bio-mask.

I do think there was more to it than a mere hunt, given the ceremony with which they remove his body from the central chamber, and the way Greyback reacts in general.

I do find it interesting that originally, CH was to get his head taken off by Greyback. As in, executed for screwing up so bad.

Granted I made a reference to Duck Dynasty, but that's just the short hand. The same basic rules that hunters follow are the same basic rules that Predators follow. It isn't sporting to shoot a doe. It isn't sporting to kill a child. Nobody would look at your typical hunter and go "Oh, yeah, honor."

There would be no sport in gutting Harrigan on the ship. They hadn't earned that kill in anyway. If Harrigan had shown weakness in that moment of revelation. Like, trying to run for example, then yeah I imagine they would have ruined his already bad day, but because he was just as, in fact morose, courageous as one of them. They were impressed. Respect, dawg, you Original G. (Just imagine Greyback speaking with Tone Loc's voice.)

BigDaddyJohn

Honor might be a bit strong yes, i think respect isn't. They totally can respect an opponent that put up a great fight and impressed them in some way, that fits with the behavior we saw on film.

So i definitely agree with the "respect" angle of things, though i understand why people want to call it "honor" sometimes.

PredBabe

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 17, 2018, 09:54:15 AM
An arm, and a piece of a gauntlet, a spear tip(And he has no excuse on that one!), his friggn' bio-mask.

I do find it interesting that originally, CH was to get his head taken off by Greyback. As in, executed for screwing up so bad.

Ah I did not know this, that is interesting.

I think the thread's title threw me off for the message being sent. Just to be clear, I don't agree with AVP's interpretation of hierarchy, but the general concept that they do have it in their society I think is only a given. I don't think blooding is so out of the realm of possibilities for some tribes/groups to practice but the way that it was presented in AVP does make it sound like all do it and it does cheapen the experience of the hunters in the actual Predator movies.

I think it would be fair to also say that "respect" they can have for their opponents and "honor" is more how they rever individuals of their own species based on their skills, stories and accomplishments. 

OpenMaw

Quote from: PredBabe on Jun 17, 2018, 01:04:59 PM

Ah I did not know this, that is interesting.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed