Alien 3 - Audio Description

Started by NecronomIV, Oct 30, 2023, 11:16:08 AM

Author
Alien 3 - Audio Description (Read 4,706 times)

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

So, earlier this year I wrote an independent audio-description script for the special edition of ALIENS, which was subsequently recorded and mixed also by an independant low vision voice-over artist.

I wrote a little about it on the forum here, and in greater detail on my personal web-site.

While recording ALIENS, the VO artist — Kyle — suggested tackling Alien3.

Now, I don't love Alien3. I saw it in theatres (I still have the cinema stub) and I won't lie: I was disappointed. The saga of the troubled production is well documented, as is the director's personal dislike of the end product.

I felt, despite its good points, it just wasn't the calibre of the first two films.

That said, we change over time, and while I think it's true that I will never love the film, I find I can definitely respect it. Killing Newt and Hicks, in face of the happy ending of ALIENS is perhaps cruel, but bold, wrenching the series back to the fundamental underlying nihilism of the first film. The ending, too, is extraordinary: horror being one of the few genres where you can get away dooming or doing-away with the main character without the audience outright balking at it. When the main character knows their fate, it changes the dynamic from basic survival to larger, greater issues, or shows different and fascinating facets of the character.

And there's much to admire: the music is sublime, perhaps the best score of all of them. The cast is stuffed with ridiculously excellent English actors. The setting of a prison / decommissioned ore refinery is compelling. Despite Fincher's dislike of the film, he's Fincher and he can't not do a good job.

And I've seen some empassioned defence of the film — especially the Assembly Cut — here on the forums, which makes me step back and try to see it better.

But this post is not about what's wrong with the film, or about what's great about the film, it's about my attitude to the material.

The respect I have for it means that I'm willing to devote the many, many hours that are going to be required to write an AD script, to go into this project wanting to do a great job, to bring to the surface what makes the story and characters compelling, and completes the journey of Ripley.

So, I'm going to use this thread to post occasional notes on my work and progress, and eventually the script and pointers to accessing the final product.

AMA, as I go, if any part of the process interests you.

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

The 20th Century Fox Logo

The first thing in the film is the 20th Century Fox logo.

This gets described. There are several reasons for this.

It seems incredible to me, but I've heard blind and low-vision people wish that adverts were described. When you  don't have the visual information, and you don't understand what's going on, this leads to feelings of being excluded. We describe everything, because it's inclusive.

Another reason to describe logos is that it's a commercial product, and the companies want everyone to know this is their film. That's why they come before the film, not afterwards.

(As an aside, this can form powerful associations: as a child I would hear the 20th Century Fox fanfare from across the house and tear into the living room because the 20th Century Fox fanfare = "Star Wars" in my mind).

A third reason to describe the logos is that it signals to the blind and low vision audience that they have correctly selected the audio-description track, and everything is working correctly. It means they don't need to fiddle around with the menus, or check their headsets in the theatre, or whatever. They can settle in and enjoy the film.

As I already described the logo for ALIENS it's just an easy copy and paste job!

QuoteSearchlights sweep the evening-sky behind a giant edifice of carved, golden letters.
20th Century Fox.

As a note, some companies standardise their audio-description, as it is yet another dimension of their branding.

I could have re-used one of these standardised versions for 20th Century Fox, but I chose not to do this for the sole reason that this is independant audio-description script and not comissioned by any company, and I am going to release the script under a Creative Commons licence, and so I need to be able to assert copyright over all of it.

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

Titles / Opening Credits

The titles of Alien3 begin with an establishing shot of deep space.

I was able to re-use one of the cues for ALIENS:

QuoteDeep space. Stars glitter, distant and cold.

I didn't have to, but I liked the idea of subtly linking the two AD scripts, giving a sense that the two films are connected. If I ever do a script for ALIEN (there exist 3 versions already, so unlikely) I would use the same phrase again.

Alan Dean Foster did a similar thing with his three novelisations, opening each book with a discussion of dreamers and dreams.

As George Lucas says, it's like poetry, they rhyme.

The titles of Alien3 consist of text credits over a scene of deep space, interspersed with scene fragments.

The credits need to be read out, and the visuals described. In ALIENS, this was relatively easy, as the credits mostly were over black, or over a star-field with the Narcissus drifting passively.

Here, this is much harder. There are two main issues to consider.

The first is that a half-second of screen time can give an enormous amount of information visually. Translating even the bones of what's on screen to audio description is inevitably going to run longer than the actual visual, so the describer must be both economical and evocative and choose the most essential information to convey.

For example, the scene of the egg lasts 3 seconds, and then it's juxtaposed back to the star-field with "Paul McGann" on it.

And the cues I wrote are:

QuoteCharles S. Dutton.

On board, glued beneath a machine housing, an alien egg, slime dripping from its open petals.

Paul McGann.

(As an aside, don't you love that the ship's name Sulaco is embossed on a totally unimportant strut? It's ridiculous sign-posting, in a place where it'll never be noticed. One thing I love about writing AD is that you notice these kind of details).

To fit the description of the egg, the voice-over starts before the Charles S. Dutton text has faded from screen. And I would have preferred the word "mucus" to "slime", but time is of the essesnce and "mucus" has two syllables.

Audio Description is, therefore, a lot of juggling, a lot of decision making, and a lot of compromises.

The second problem is the interspersing of credits and action, or overlaying credits over action. This is a particular challenge, because the danger is that the two run confusingly together. Louise Fryer in her book An Introduction to Audio Description: A Practical Guide (2016) notes the audio description for The Girl with the Pearl Earring featured some outlandish and strange sentences during the credits which were shown over a series of scenes. The result of not separating the text of the credits and the description leads to sentences like this:

QuoteGriet packs a bundle in her room, takes a moment to look back, and goes to her mother, Scarlett Johansson.

The mother was not played by Scarlett Johanson, but the awkward juxtaposition suggests it. So that's something we work hard to avoid.

Now what I'm writing here is a draft, so this is all to be revised. One thing I've noticed is that the star-field is not static — our view shifts downwards constantly, giving a sense of falling. I suspect this is to mirror both the EEV fall coming up, and Ripley's fall at the end of the film.

Part of my revision will be to see if I can somehow bring in that sense of falling to the audience.

If I can't, I will tell myself what I always tell myself about this process: "you can only do what you can do".

BlueMarsalis79

Maybe just leave out the Egg...

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Nov 06, 2023, 04:10:22 PMMaybe just leave out the Egg...

How will the audience be able to participate in the old "where did it come from?" debate if I leave it out?  ;)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

True, it would make Alien 3 even less interesting than it already is.

BlueMarsalis79

:laugh:

You also going to describe the quality of the rod puppet compositing?

Theatrical cut or the Assembly cut?

Just leave it out, you have more important things to note with that moment, like literally anything else.

Glad you finally got to the most interesting Alien production. 

8)

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Nov 07, 2023, 09:38:10 AM:laugh:

You also going to describe the quality of the rod puppet compositing?

Theatrical cut or the Assembly cut?

Just leave it out, you have more important things to note with that moment, like literally anything else.

Glad you finally got to the most interesting Alien production. 

8)

:) I know this one is your favourite. Doing Assembly Cut, which I've never seen, and I feel will probably be better than theatrical.

But honestly, part of the job is to describe everything to the fullest extent possible, but still give a good audio experience (ie. don't over-describe and fill up every single moment without dialouge with narration). We can't make editorial omissions because that is unfair to the audience. The blind and low-vision audience should have the same access to the story where it's possible.

Interesting that you mention the rod-puppet compositing though. I've previously done some (indie, unofficial, unpaid) Doctor Who audio description, and of course that begs the question of how to describe bad special effects, which I discussed with some blind/low-vision people.

The conclusion we arrived at was to honour the film-makers intention, but equally not to oversell it and suggest it was awesome.

Which is what I'll be doing here, to take the special effects at face value, and do my best to deliver a good movie-going experience.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: NecronomIV on Nov 07, 2023, 10:01:11 AMDoing Assembly Cut, which I've never seen, and I feel will probably be better than theatrical.

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 07, 2023, 10:10:21 AM
Quote from: NecronomIV on Nov 07, 2023, 10:01:11 AMDoing Assembly Cut, which I've never seen, and I feel will probably be better than theatrical.

Thank you for your input, but your views regarding the merits of either version are not relevant.

My job is not actually to like or dislike the film but simply to deliver the highest quality description possible to the best of my ability. This is the version I'm personally most interested in, and the version my collaborator suggested.

Further discussion of this issue is off topic. Thank you.

SiL

SiL

Interested to see how you handle the scene of Ripley hallucinating in the basement.

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

Thank you! I'll make a point of discussing that when I get to it.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I want to hear an audio description of the rape goggles.

And whatever this is supposed to be:

SiL

SiL

Blood soaking into gauze.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

But whose blood and why?  I don't understand why anyone would be bleeding at that point in the sequence, so I'm curious if the audio description will say if it's "Ripley's blood" or something.

After all, SM always said it could only be Hicks.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed