IGN's Preview Community Event (Live Stream February 2nd)

Started by ikarop, Jan 24, 2013, 12:51:20 AM

Author
IGN's Preview Community Event (Live Stream February 2nd) (Read 84,576 times)

OpenMaw

Quote from: Prime113 on Feb 06, 2013, 11:03:13 PM
Come on, really? No one's gonna jump on that Suckers gonna Suck comment by SM? Damn, I was waiting for some lols.  :(

There's no need to jump on it. It was in response to a literal "haters gonna hate."

BTW, You're crazy.  ;D

Quote from: SM on Feb 06, 2013, 11:05:39 PM
Seems some are unable to differentiate between pointing out mistakes and getting 'upset' and 'crying'.

I wish I was surprised.

Jeeze, calm down SM. Don't get your panties all in a bunch.   :laugh:

ShadowPred

Seems some are unable to differentiate between pointing out mistakes and getting 'upset' and 'crying'.

Seems like it? Nope, this is EXACTLY what it is.

Crazy Rich

I noticed some authenticity I didn't even notice before when watching the video then the movie, and I'm not focusing to much on the "canon" from the get go, but SM and them have a point. Am I the only one who felt there was something off on Hadley's Hope? Where the map in the big room with the big hole in it was positioned in relation to where Burke locked the doors in the last stand from the movie? Or did they get that right?

Prime113

Prime113

I wish I was surprised.

To me, the placement of lockers, and the such, only deserve a mere "Oh, really". I mean, you're not gonna see them but for a second. I'm not knocking you, or anyone else for finding such mistakes, I think its actually pretty cool that you, and others, know all the stuff.

Oh, also, some other members are actually upset, as in cancelling their pre-orders and what not.

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 06, 2013, 11:06:49 PM
Quote from: Prime113 on Feb 06, 2013, 11:03:13 PM
Come on, really? No one's gonna jump on that Suckers gonna Suck comment by SM? Damn, I was waiting for some lols.  :(

There's no need to jump on it. It was in response to a literal "haters gonna hate."

BTW, You're crazy.  ;D

I wish I was surprised.

Jeeze, calm down SM. Don't get your panties all in a bunch.   :laugh:

I know, but, come on, no your momma/wife/girlfriend jokes. I was disappoint. And, I know I am.  ;D

ShadowPred

Quote from: Prime113 on Feb 06, 2013, 11:10:32 PM

I wish I was surprised.

To me, the placement of lockers, and the such, only deserve a mere "Oh, really".

I would agree on this, but Gearbox is freaking adamant of how things are EXACTLY right. They have mentioned that they have poured all over the details...even the most enthusiastic of them all...I don;t know his name, but in the live stream it was mentioned that the the very room that Ripley and Newt were almost screwed over by the Face Hugger - that the designer of that area was so into the details of getting everything perfectly right...this person, someone who wanted to do more than what was asked, didn't even get it right. So for Gearbox to say that they went crazy with the details, even when it's obvious that they really didn't care - it's just...gah!

Local Trouble

All the other inconsistencies aside, how in the nine circles of Hell does a game developer manage to fail at reproducing the most iconic weapon in sci-fi history for a SHOOTER game?

Even Alien 3 for the SNES did better.

Prime113

Quote from: ShadowPred on Feb 06, 2013, 11:15:29 PM

I wish I was surprised.

To me, the placement of lockers, and the such, only deserve a mere "Oh, really".

I would agree on this, but Gearbox is freaking adamant of how things are EXACTLY right. They have mentioned that they have poured all over the details...even the most enthusiastic of them all...I don;t know his name, but in the live stream it was mentioned that the the very room that Ripley and Newt were almost screwed over by the Face Hugger - that the designer of that area was so into the details of getting everything perfectly right...this person, someone who wanted to do more than what was asked, didn't even get it right. So for Gearbox to say that they went crazy with the details, even when it's obvious that they really didn't care - it's just...gah!

I feel ya, man, and I understand where you are coming from. But, to me, the placement of a certain table isn't really upsetting. I mean, would it be epic if every single thing was right? Yeah, but gameplay mechanics, overall story, enemy AI, shit like that means more to me. If the game ends up sucking some pond water, then I will happily join you guys.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Prime113 on Feb 06, 2013, 11:18:49 PM
I feel ya, man, and I understand where you are coming from. But, to me, the placement of a certain table isn't really upsetting. I mean, would it be epic if every single thing was right? Yeah, but gameplay mechanics, overall story, enemy AI, shit like that means more to me. If the game ends up sucking some pond water, then I will happily join you guys.

It's pretty clear to see this is a linear by-the-numbers shooter experience. So that leaves the details. There won't be mod support, I guarantee you that. So, yeah, it's on them to do it all 100% right the first time through. They want to be counted among the movies, and be the big boys, and have their event canonical with the series, then they get the same vigorous scrutiny as the movies have gone through. That's how it all works.  :)

Prime113

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 06, 2013, 11:21:43 PM

It's pretty clear to see this is a linear by-the-numbers shooter experience. So that leaves the details. There won't be mod support, I guarantee you that. So, yeah, it's on them to do it all 100% right the first time through. They want to be counted among the movies, and be the big boys, and have their event canonical with the series, then they get the same vigorous scrutiny as the movies have gone through. That's how it all works.  :)

But you're a Colonial Marine! On LV-426!  :laugh:  Nah, but there really is no other way to do it. I mean, honestly, how else could they do a Colonial Marine game? People say more horror, well, Aliens wasn't a horror movie, and the Aliens aren't really that scary anymore. Oh, I know a lot were pissed about LV-426 is even a planet any more, but they wanted to bring you back, so lets give him that one... or don't and give us another location.

SM

SM

QuoteAm I the only one who felt there was something off on Hadley's Hope? Where the map in the big room with the big hole in it was positioned in relation to where Burke locked the doors in the last stand from the movie? Or did they get that right?

Overall it's off.  If you mean the blue light table map, that seems right.  However, Burke locks the door from ops, and then the door into medical - they've added an extra door.  And then the door from medical into the corridor where Burke gets nailed - just outside in the game are the sentry guns and barricade.  All in the wrong place.

QuoteTo me, the placement of lockers, and the such, only deserve a mere "Oh, really". I mean, you're not gonna see them but for a second. I'm not knocking you, or anyone else for finding such mistakes, I think its actually pretty cool that you, and others, know all the stuff.

Oh, also, some other members are actually upset, as in cancelling their pre-orders and what not.

Of course things like locker placement is really minor - but is anyone really cancelling their pre-order over that?  I can't even imagine people cancelling a pre-order over big f**k ups with 'authenticity'.  Wouldn't it be more down to them not liking the gameplay?

I know I sound like an old fishwife, but Gearbox practically challenged fans to check their accuracy against the film, and have been found sorely lacking in most respects.

I do actually get a kick when they do get shit right.  Or when they add stuff that makes sense - like the crashed EEV, or the homage to the map video screen from Alien.  That didn't happen very often though...

Quoteso lets give him that one... or don't and give us another location.

For all the mistakes - it might as well be another location.

ShadowPred

Quote from: ShadowPred on Feb 06, 2013, 11:15:29 PM

I wish I was surprised.

Oh, the details they got wrong don't upset me. What upsets me is the way Gearbox keeps saying that things are accurate when they are most definitely not. They believe their BS.

Prime113

Quote from: SM on Feb 06, 2013, 11:31:59 PM
QuoteTo me, the placement of lockers, and the such, only deserve a mere "Oh, really". I mean, you're not gonna see them but for a second. I'm not knocking you, or anyone else for finding such mistakes, I think its actually pretty cool that you, and others, know all the stuff.

Of course things like locker placement is really minor - but is anyone really cancelling their pre-order over that?  I can't even imagine people cancelling a pre-order over big f**k ups with 'authenticity'.  Wouldn't it be more down to them not liking the gameplay?

I know I sound like an old fishwife, but Gearbox practically challenged fans to check their accuracy against the film, and have been found sorely lacking in most respects.

Quoteso lets give him that one... or don't and give us another location.

For all the mistakes - it might as well be another location.

From what I've read, people are quite upset about the APC and shit like that. Maybe I'm reading them wrong, but, yes, it seems that way.

And, that's fair enough, I suppose. I can dig on you guys accepting the challenge.

....Ha. LV-426.5.

UDA

Quote from: Prime113 on Feb 06, 2013, 11:26:08 PM

But you're a Colonial Marine! On LV-426!  :laugh:  Nah, but there really is no other way to do it. I mean, honestly, how else could they do a Colonial Marine game? People say more horror, well, Aliens wasn't a horror movie, and the Aliens aren't really that scary anymore. Oh, I know a lot were pissed about LV-426 is even a planet any more, but they wanted to bring you back, so lets give him that one... or don't and give us another location.

I would play an open world Aliens game. The reason I don't touch games like COD is because the levels are so small and linear there's almost no point in having left and right movement (among other things, they just look like Sh*tty games) . The era of corridor shooters needs to come to an end.

SM

It seems a lot of other people are too...

QuoteFrom what I've read, people are quite upset about the APC and shit like that.

Enough to cancel a pre-order though?  Them getting shit wrong was mildly annoying - it was the crowing about how obsessed with detail that really shat me though.

Prime113

Quote from: UDA on Feb 06, 2013, 11:35:46 PM
Quote from: Prime113 on Feb 06, 2013, 11:26:08 PM

I would play an open world Aliens game. The reason I don't touch games like COD is because the levels are so small and linear there's almost no point in having left and right movement (among other things, they just look like Sh*tty games) . The era of corridor shooters needs to come to an end.

Yes, but that's not a "Colonial Marines" game, or experience. And, in most "warfare" nowadays, its very corridor'y. Battlefield is even like that at times.

Quote from: SM on Feb 06, 2013, 11:37:03 PM
It seems a lot of other people are too...

QuoteFrom what I've read, people are quite upset about the APC and shit like that.

Enough to cancel a pre-order though?  Them getting shit wrong was mildly annoying - it was the crowing about how obsessed with detail that really shat me though.

I guess maybe I'm combining the two. Gearbox got a table wrong + Plus they were so consistent on saying "Authentic". People just aren't buying Gearbox's shit, I guess.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed