Will Star Wars flop?

Started by THE CITY HUNTER, Dec 12, 2015, 07:40:47 PM

Author
Will Star Wars flop? (Read 3,133 times)

426Buddy

426Buddy

Proof that no matter how successful critically and financially a movie is... the internet will still hate it.

I am certain that had the internet been around 30 years ago we wouldnt have any truly great movies in that time, they would have all been put under a microscope and dissected and defined about a year before they were released.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Most people on the internet love it. You'll notice that particular video has more thumbs down than up.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I dunno, maybe its just another case of the minority being the loudest.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 04, 2016, 08:49:58 PMAnother point of view.

You could argue the fact that video even exists proves there's too much of a similarity.

Quote from: 420Buddy on Feb 04, 2016, 09:02:54 PMProof that no matter how successful critically and financially a movie is... the internet will still hate it.

I didn't hate the film at all, I just think it was incredibly bland once you got past the fact it had Star Wars written on the tin, and I'm slightly confused why that apparently doesn't bother 90% of the audience. Don't they want a little more substance?

THE CITY HUNTER

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 05, 2016, 08:35:33 AM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 04, 2016, 08:49:58 PMAnother point of view.

You could argue the fact that video even exists proves there's too much of a similarity.

Quote from: 420Buddy on Feb 04, 2016, 09:02:54 PMProof that no matter how successful critically and financially a movie is... the internet will still hate it.

I didn't hate the film at all, I just think it was incredibly bland once you got past the fact it had Star Wars written on the tin, and I'm slightly confused why that apparently doesn't bother 90% of the audience. Don't they want a little more substance?

I think the problem is that the 90% didn't  think it was bland or lacked substance. The similarities to ANH were done purposefully and I think it worked in the films favor.

Vermillion

Vermillion

Starkiller base should of been a large Stardestroyer. 

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Vermillion on Feb 05, 2016, 10:30:32 PM
Starkiller base should of been a large Stardestroyer.
Oh shit now that would have been real f**king original. Why not just have Snoky invent some black goo from the dark side of the force and dump that on the planet and have it kill off every thing before devouring the planet from the outside in.

Vermillion

Vermillion

How about the bad guy be a robot in a cowboy hat.

Oh wait.  Lol. Lame

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: 420Buddy on Feb 05, 2016, 09:43:04 PMThe similarities to ANH were done purposefully and I think it worked in the films favor.

But borrowing stuff from other movies (which the film did liberally) does not equal substance.

monkeylove

monkeylove

It's a generally unimpressive movie, but the cast and crew should be credited for trying to show otherwise.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 08, 2016, 08:44:55 AM
Quote from: 420Buddy on Feb 05, 2016, 09:43:04 PMThe similarities to ANH were done purposefully and I think it worked in the films favor.

But borrowing stuff from other movies (which the film did liberally) does not equal substance.

Then you could say the same for ANH, since the plot largely is lifted from other sources(Hidden Fortress). I guess ALIEN has no substance since its plot has been seen a million times before and since.

Many of the plot points in aliens closely mirror those in alien (on purpose), but its only a problem if you don't like the movie I guess.

P.S. taking from the old to create something new is the foundation of all storytelling.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: 420Buddy on Feb 08, 2016, 03:33:26 PMThen you could say the same for ANH, since the plot largely is lifted from other sources(Hidden Fortress). I guess ALIEN has no substance since its plot has been seen a million times before and since.

Except in those cases they at least succeeded in dressing it up the recycled ideas so it wasn't blatantly obvious. And they also brought plenty of ingenuity of their own so that they stood by themselves.

My big problem with the new Star Wars (and Jurassic World, while we're at it) was that they had very little of value beyond the stuff they borrowed/recycled, and worse didn't seem all that interested in trying to develop anything new. At any rate the obviously recycled content hugely outweighed anything new they tried to do.

Hence why I think both are ultimately very bland movies once you scratch the nostalgia surface and why I won't be rushing to watch either again.

426Buddy

426Buddy

We'll have a to agree to disagree on Star Wars. I actually didn't like Jurassic World, I thought I would love it, but it ranks dead last in the series for me.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Derivative elements don't bother me at all, but I'm fairly sure a lot of people digging TFA were complaining about Avatar being "Dances With Smurfs" a few years ago. Different standard for Star Wars I guess.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed