[Spoiler] David and Alien Egg in Alien: Covenant Novelisation.

Started by gantarat, May 24, 2017, 12:07:37 AM

Author
[Spoiler] David and Alien Egg in Alien: Covenant Novelisation. (Read 10,956 times)

AcheronHunter

Quote from: Predaker on May 27, 2017, 03:23:13 AM
Quote from: gantarat on May 27, 2017, 03:16:29 AM
In the novel David found "an original egg that left behind by the engineers."

So the dumbgineers kept this thing on their homeworld (but not the black goo!) and David has to reverse engineer it, because he euthanised it for being too aggressive?  :laugh:

David did not find "an original egg left behind."
Essentially the virus, the black goo, IS the "Xenomorph." It would always evolve into some variation of the "Xenomorph." David doesn't find an egg because they left it behind. He finds an egg because he bombed the planet with the pathogen he speculates was designed to create the "Xenomorph."

That's according to the book.
Not what he says in the movie.

fiveways

Quote from: 426Buddy on May 27, 2017, 03:48:02 AM

So the dumbgineers kept this thing on their homeworld (but not the black goo!) and David has to reverse engineer it, because he euthanised it?  :laugh:

Its never specified in the film that its their homeworld. I like to think it was some sort of holy place, a sort of mecca for the most devout. Perhaps they were even worshipping the old dead eggs in the citadel. After prometheus came out I wondered if the engineer race was extinct, maybe through civil wars or some such. Maybe this planet was home to of the last surviving populations of Engineers, they were pretty excited to see one of their ships return.

But thats all just random fan speculation.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=57718.0

Art of Alien Covenant book.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: fiveways on May 27, 2017, 11:33:39 AM
Quote from: 426Buddy on May 27, 2017, 03:48:02 AM

So the dumbgineers kept this thing on their homeworld (but not the black goo!) and David has to reverse engineer it, because he euthanised it?  :laugh:

Its never specified in the film that its their homeworld. I like to think it was some sort of holy place, a sort of mecca for the most devout. Perhaps they were even worshipping the old dead eggs in the citadel. After prometheus came out I wondered if the engineer race was extinct, maybe through civil wars or some such. Maybe this planet was home to of the last surviving populations of Engineers, they were pretty excited to see one of their ships return.

But thats all just random fan speculation.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=57718.0

Art of Alien Covenant book.

I know the intention was for it to be their home world but im talking about whats shown in the film (or in this case im thinking of the novel version of events.) The film says nothing definitive about it being the engineer homeworld, and i'm not interested what an art book has to say about it anyway. Also I called it random speculation for a reason, you take whats in the film and expand on it with your own imagination. Its not canon but its fun to fill in the blanks with your own theories.

gantarat

Quote from: AcheronHunter on May 27, 2017, 05:14:49 AM

So the dumbgineers kept this thing on their homeworld (but not the black goo!) and David has to reverse engineer it, because he euthanised it for being too aggressive?  :laugh:

David did not find "an original egg left behind."
Essentially the virus, the black goo, IS the "Xenomorph." It would always evolve into some variation of the "Xenomorph." David doesn't find an egg because they left it behind. He finds an egg because he bombed the planet with the pathogen he speculates was designed to create the "Xenomorph."

That's according to the book.
Not what he says in the movie.

so engineer create us because human is "Xenomorph" major ingredients ?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: gantarat on May 28, 2017, 01:34:00 PM

Something I thought about recently was the line "to create, sometimes first you must destroy" or something along those lines. It made me think that perhaps mankind was created as hosts for the Aliens because it would have been seen as some sort of blasphemy for the Engineers to play host themselves.  Just a random thought.

Doctor Ash

If ADF's novelization is canon, what are the chances that the engineers didn't make the alien egg but that they simply found it and David made a wrong assumption?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G530FZ mit Tapatalk

Space7Horror

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 28, 2017, 02:36:42 PM

Something I thought about recently was the line "to create, sometimes first you must destroy" or something along those lines. It made me think that perhaps mankind was created as hosts for the Aliens because it would have been seen as some sort of blasphemy for the Engineers to play host themselves.  Just a random thought.

I also had this thought a while ago when Prometheus came out.  Mankind was nothing but the petri dish to grow the ultimate weapon.  We meant nothing to the Engineers and served only the purpose of being experimented on.  Something went wrong on LV-223 while they were planning to bomb us with the goo in order to begin their experiments, which could have ended up looking just like how Davids turned out in Covenant. The engineer David woke up was mad that we were able to evolve enough to develop space travel and essentially come knocking on his front door.  We were seen as insignificant compared to the engineers and now we managed to actually create our own beings (David).  This could explain the murals in Prometheus as well, they are templates of a weapon the engineers wanted to create but needed us for, thats why they were in a room of ampules filled with the virus that would eventually allow the engineers to create their ultimate weapon from us.  They didn't want to risk their own species creating such a volatile creature and therefore needed us to fulfill their plans. 
This is still disappointing because it means David does create the Alien we see in the originals but it does allow for the cosmic horror of the original Alien to stay intact.  It stays because we don't know why the engineers need this weapon and what they were going to use it on.  It also gives a feeling of dread in that mankind was nothing but a step in something greater and that we have no true purpose and only made it to where we are because of the accident that took place on LV-223.     

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Doctor Ash on May 28, 2017, 02:47:25 PM
If ADF's novelization is canon, what are the chances that the engineers didn't make the alien egg but that they simply found it and David made a wrong assumption?

The novelization isn't canon. It's just ancillary material. Ultimately, what we get on screen is what really counts. David made the Aliens.

Doctor Ash

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 28, 2017, 04:56:34 PM
Quote from: Doctor Ash on May 28, 2017, 02:47:25 PM

The novelization isn't canon. It's just ancillary material. Ultimately, what we get on screen is what really counts. David made the Aliens.
Maybe Ridley's intention will change again, because of the huge backlash his decision, to make David the creator of the Aliens, caused.

I guess the Engineer/Alien Egg issue might be kind of a failsave...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G530FZ mit Tapatalk

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Doctor Ash on May 28, 2017, 06:23:34 PM
Maybe Ridley's intention will change again, because of the huge backlash his decision, to make David the creator of the Aliens, caused.

I guess the Engineer/Alien Egg issue might be kind of a failsave...

Hopefully. I certainly hope we might get that save.

The Cruentus

Ditto. its safe to say 70-80% of the fandom prefer the Engineers to have created the Alien.

Mustangjeff

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 28, 2017, 02:36:42 PM

Yep..  This was exactly something I contemplated post-Prometheus as I was trying to fill in the gaps.  We know the Xeno gets some of it's characteristics from the host, and maybe that applies to it's intelligence as well.  Perhaps if the intelligence level is too low, the creature is pure instinct and impossible to control.  Intelligence is too high and maybe you get something like the Deacon which again might be uncontrollable for different reasons.  If you get the intelligence just right, maybe it's a functional tool at that point.

You could use this to explain the Engineers reaction when he woke up.  It's like having a cake in the oven and realizing it's overdone and on fire.  Nothing left to do pull pull it out and throw it away.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed