[Spoiler] David and Alien Egg in Alien: Covenant Novelisation.

Started by gantarat, May 24, 2017, 12:07:37 AM

Author
[Spoiler] David and Alien Egg in Alien: Covenant Novelisation. (Read 10,977 times)

Highland

Either way it still appears the Alien is second to the goo, no matter who did it.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: 426Buddy on May 24, 2017, 01:01:40 AM
As to whether he made this up, i dont know but i think hicks is doing an interview with him. If not then someone should ask him.

Yeah, we'll be chatting to him when I've read the book (I only got to chapter 5 last night). One of the things I'm hoping he can clear up is what is his own explanations and what came from the script. He's like a lot of fans in that he picks up on those things but he's in a possible to do something somewhat official about it.

But yeah, I totally prefer that vision of the origins. I just need to know if that was ADF or something snipped from the movie now.

dave1978

So when is this book available?   sounds like a good read.

gantarat

Quote from: dave1978 on May 24, 2017, 10:21:58 AM
So when is this book available?   sounds like a good read.

it's already out.

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 24, 2017, 07:43:24 AM
Unfortunately there is still that interview, like what someone else said, I too tried to interpret it as Ridley only talking about the Covenant variant but that is just grasping to be honest.

I too think of it (or used as I am not sure anymore) as Alien - black liquid - various mutations/terraforming.
Because in terms of effectiveness, the chemical trumps the Xeno.

But that would actually lend credence to the Alien origin theory. Humans, for example, genetically-modify organisms to be more effective all the time. What the Engineers are doing, however, is far more lovecraftian and more extreme version. It would be as if they concentrated the very essence of the Alien itself.

I.e...

ROYAL JELLY.

AcheronHunter

I can confirm that the book does indeed specifically reveal that the Xenomorph is not David's creation, he lacks the "capacity." He speculates that they are the intended final stage of the virus and when he ran out of specimens he (implied) used Shaw to reverse engineer his own carton of eggs.

But that's not what ended up in the movie it's possibly totally irrelevant.

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: AcheronHunter on May 25, 2017, 08:04:02 PM
I can confirm that the book does indeed specifically reveal that the Xenomorph is not David's creation, he lacks the "capacity." He speculates that they are the intended final stage of the virus and when he ran out of specimens he (implied) used Shaw to reverse engineer his own carton of eggs.

Just because it didn't end up in the theatrical version, doesn't mean it won't be in a potential extended/directors cut.

bb-15

Quote from: LCpl. D. Grant on May 26, 2017, 01:08:48 AM
Quote from: AcheronHunter on May 25, 2017, 08:04:02 PM

Just because it didn't end up in the theatrical version, doesn't mean it won't be in a potential extended/directors cut.

What would be helpful is if the moment from the novelization (where David admits to imitating the Engineers in reverse engineering the xenomorph) is in a deleted scene in the "Covenant" Blu-ray. 
Then having that in an extended/directors cut is definitely possible.

;)

gantarat

Only if ridley had already filmed that scenes (or it's on shooting script)

bb-15

Quote from: gantarat on May 26, 2017, 03:32:43 AM
Only if ridley had already filmed that scenes (or it's on shooting script)

Getting the draft or shooting scripts for "Covenant" is very good to get an idea about what was considered for the characters including David.
(Having the Spaihts and Lindelof draft scripts for "Prometheus" was helpful in understanding the development of the story in that movie.)
Scripts anyone?

;)

AcheronHunter

I'm sure there is a longer cut or deleted scenes to milk a special edition blu ray. But I wouldn't expect it to change such an important plot point. Whether those scenes were shot or not it seems very intentional on Ridley's part to say David is the creator.

Of course he also said Prometheus 2 would not have the Alien in it at all.

Either way there is a lot of explaining to do before it comes around full circle

Mr. Forest

Now I really hope there is a director's cut down the road that includes a scene like this that fixes two big problems I had with the film.  Unfortunately, Scott himself said David is now the creator of the xenomorph.  On the plus side, if he can change his mind in between Prometheus and Covenant, then he can do it again.

Screw it, I'm going to get the audio book of Covenant on Audible and listen to it while at work.

C91_SJ

When I read the book I had the feeling that it definately is based on early versions of the script.

Spoiler

* David seems to be able to repair himself, at least to a certain point (when Daniels put the nail in his eye)
* he definately mentioned that he's not the original creator of the Alien, but developing it further (egg
facehugger coming from the Engineers)
* we don't see a dead Shaw. We only see sketches David made (just like in the movie) and he admits he killed her.
* The ending: David is hinting Daniels, but it's not clear she understood it before she went into stasis
* The ending: it's unclear how David transported the facehugger embroys. At least Foster didn't write he threw up ;-)
[close]

I thought the book was giving me a different and refreshing point of view of "Alien: Covenant". It definately shed light in some areas, where I have been puzzled when I went ouf ot the cinema.

SyntaX

Quote from: El Diablo on May 24, 2017, 12:18:26 AM
Some of those alterations would have been a great additions to the film. I'm not too fond of having David be the father of the Xenomorph.

There's too many things pointing towards the fact that David is, as many have stated before, trying to replicate the engineers work? There is so much stuff that needs to be shown in the upcoming movie.

- How did David get the egg's on the Engineers ship in Alien?
- How can a chestburster survive inside a host that has been dead for a very long time? (for centuries)

O, and please ... whatever Ridley Scott says ... take that with a bag of salt.

Predaker

QuoteDavid even shows Oram a petrified facehugger's egg, which he reveals he euthanised because it was too aggressive.

What was it trying to do, give David a hug?  :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed