Aliens - My Own Cut - Cinema Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 03, 2023, 11:36:51 AM

Author
Aliens - My Own Cut - Cinema Series (Read 7,440 times)

Corporal Hicks

VeteranSergeant

Ripley's daughter isn't "crucial." Nobody was ever confused about her relationship with Newt for like 2 decades before the Quadrilogy made the Special Edition easily available. But it doesn't hurt the movie either. It's a nice little humanizing touch. It should stay in the movie.

The colony scene is terrible for tension-building. Ideally in horror films, the characters should encounter the "monster" at the same time as the audience.  Even though it's a sequel, and the audience "knows" what happened, showing what happened to the colonists spoils any tension of the colony search.  Cutting it out was the right idea for the Theatrical Cut. It's a fun worldbuilding addition for a second viewing. Same with the Ant Hive lines, which he also decides to cut.

Hudson's speech is fine, but it needs to have the audio fixed to remove him saying "Check it out" three times.

The gerbil/hamster scene should go.  It is a "motion tracker fakeout" which is fine, but that fakeout happens twice in the movie which detracts from the tension of the second one. Since we need the Newt scene, this one needs to go. Not finding anything is way more scary than a cheap jump scare. The rest of the extended colony search footage should stay.

There's no "action" in the sentry guns scene. It's almost entirely static shots of faces, computer screens and sentry guns rotating. And it re-uses VFX shots of the Aliens dying. Very visually uninteresting and lacks any dynamics.  It also makes the Aliens so stupid that they charge into 2000 rounds of machinegun fire.  The sentry guns can stay in the film, but it should just be one scene (in the movie at the place with the second scene), and have the Aliens give up faster. Cut out the last shots of depleted ammo counters (so we don't know where the guns stop) and have the Aliens give up. You cut Hicks's line in the second scene of "next time they walk right up and knock" and go straight to Ripley's "They're probably looking for other ways to get in. That will take them a while."  Fixes the problem with those scenes. Keeps the sentry guns (cool world building), keeps the Aliens dangerous and scary (as opposed to so stupid they charge at machineguns), and, like getting rid of the gerbil, reduces the redundancy and pacing problems of two scenes that are exactly the same and don't add anything to the story by having two of them.

Local Trouble

@VeteranSergeant doesn't post enough.  His opinions are always on point.

SiL

SiL

The DC was released in the early 90s and was  more easily obtainable than the theatrical cut on VHS for most people. The Quadrilogy made the theatrical edition more accessible if anything.

Still Collating...

I prefer the DC honestly, though I prefer longer versions of these movies almost always. Especially if whole scenes are deleted/shortened. I'm still sad that Prometheus didn't officially get a version with all of it's deleted scenes as a whole (I know of the fan edit). 

Local Trouble

Any time I watch the DC, my interest begins to drift as soon as it cuts to Hadley's after the inquest.

VeteranSergeant

Quote from: SiL on Jul 12, 2023, 02:49:23 AMThe DC was released in the early 90s and was  more easily obtainable than the theatrical cut on VHS for most people. The Quadrilogy made the theatrical edition more accessible if anything.
That doesn't seem like a real thing.  The Special Edition was only available on Laserdisc until 1999.  The only reason I had a VHS of the Special Edition was because I had a buddy with a Laserdisc player who was able to rip it.

It is true that Aliens was missing on DVD for a while (99-2003), but not VHS.  The theatrical cut was the only official version of the film sold on VHS between 1987 and 1999.

Local Trouble

I think it may have been a bit different in Australia, IIRC.

426Buddy

426Buddy

My first experience with the special edition was in 99 on VHS, had the amazing AvP PC trailer attached. I think it came with the VHS Alien Legacy box set. I still have it actually. I still have the Aliens VHS from the late 80's

I like seeing more with the SE but I have always preferred the Theatrical Cut. The TC is a master class in tension building.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: VeteranSergeant on Jul 12, 2023, 03:37:15 PMThat doesn't seem like a real thing.  The Special Edition was only available on Laserdisc until 1999.  The only reason I had a VHS of the Special Edition was because I had a buddy with a Laserdisc player who was able to rip it.
Aliens SE was released on VHS in 1992. Maybe only in PAL territories?

It was the one with THIS TIME, IT'S MORE tagline.

Kel G 426

What if Ripley's daughter wasn't mentioned until her talk with Newt?
Would that be effective?

SM

SM

That make it even more convenient.

Quote from: SiL on Jul 12, 2023, 09:29:53 PM
Quote from: VeteranSergeant on Jul 12, 2023, 03:37:15 PMThat doesn't seem like a real thing.  The Special Edition was only available on Laserdisc until 1999.  The only reason I had a VHS of the Special Edition was because I had a buddy with a Laserdisc player who was able to rip it.
Aliens SE was released on VHS in 1992. Maybe only in PAL territories?

It was the one with THIS TIME, IT'S MORE tagline.

I've heard it aired on TV in the US in 1989. I still have the version I taped off the TV in 1992. It actually has 'Special Edition' come up as part of the opening titles.

ralfy

ralfy

Good points, thanks.

SM

SM

Quote from: Still Collating... on Jul 12, 2023, 02:28:54 PMI prefer the DC honestly, though I prefer longer versions of these movies almost always. Especially if whole scenes are deleted/shortened. I'm still sad that Prometheus didn't officially get a version with all of it's deleted scenes as a whole (I know of the fan edit). 

Some stuff needs to be deleted, because it serves no purpose.  I can't think of any stuff from Prometheus that would've improved the film had it been re-inserted.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Our first Alien and the scene between Janek and Vickers, in which he tells a story, more should have been cut in other places.

Apart from the Alien score additions, this is just a stronger film: https://ifdb.fanedit.org/prometheus-special-edition/

Apparently Ninth Circle Edition which was just this but better was even screened in Melbourne back in 2021, but no sign of it materialising anywhere on the Internet.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 23, 2023, 02:47:32 AM
Quote from: nanison on Nov 23, 2023, 02:41:18 AMDo all Ridley Scott movies have a director's cut? What about Prometheus?

Prometheus, despite desperately feeling like it is in need of another cut (preferably, one that doesn't feel like they left a monkey alone in the editing bay to do the job), does not have one.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed