how many time woukd nostromo take to get back to earth???

Started by Nightmare, Sep 10, 2007, 11:26:14 PM

Author
how many time woukd nostromo take to get back to earth??? (Read 5,996 times)

Nightmare

if theyr werent awakened by the derelict signal, and theyr rout went trough that system (as far as we know nostormo could have headed there from purpose (company orders in ash or something), discuss in the thread about the company knowing about aliens before this subject...)

this way the nostormo would take like lambert said 10 months

anyway, 10 months are 300 days (305 if u count 30 then 31 alternated days)

which makes the 1st calculations wrong!

whoever made the 0,12 lightyears per day calculation made it like if it was 11 months....

i also got an explanation for somethin, wehn lamber says 10 months, tahst for tehm who are traveling near speed of light, in earth the time elapsed is actually much bigger! kinda 39.5 years!

if distance is 39.5 light years, nostormo if traveling at speed of lgiht woudl take 39.5, years since nostormo isnt (cause its impossible) it will take a bit more, so i say 40 years, but may not be correct cause i dont have skills yet to make relativity calculations, im only suposed to mention it in 3 years anyway  :P  :(

so yes, its possible alien universe actually happens in our own universe (star wars can never possible happen in our own universe for example.....)

hope they dont screw this up in future....

SM

QuoteDoes anyone know exactly how long the Nostromo would've been in space, had they not been awakened by the Alien and all that stuff>

Orginal Nostromo flightplan (speculative).

Jan 2120 - Depart Solomons, Sol
April 2121 – Arrive Thedus
June 2121 – Depart Thedus
October 2122 – Arrive Sol

Quotewhoever made the 0,12 lightyears per day calculation made it like if it was 11 months....

This is due to the fact that the data I had when I originally worked it out 8 years ago, said Z2R was 37 ly from Earth.

And no it isn't going to take 40 years for the Nostromo to get home.  It's going to take 10 months.  The Nostromo travels faster than light.  End of story.

Nightmare

Nightmare

Quote from: SM on Sep 24, 2007, 11:18:42 PM
QuoteDoes anyone know exactly how long the Nostromo would've been in space, had they not been awakened by the Alien and all that stuff>

Quotewhoever made the 0,12 lightyears per day calculation made it like if it was 11 months....

This is due to the fact that the data I had when I originally worked it out 8 years ago, said Z2R was 37 ly from Earth.

And no it isn't going to take 40 years for the Nostromo to get home.  It's going to take 10 months.  The Nostromo travels faster than light.  End of story.

thast speculative but ist speculated based on what exactly? i think they mentionated thedus in the movie dialogue....did u make distance calculations or somethin? just got curious?

----------------------------------------------------
nostormo will take 10 months to reach earth, but only for the tripulants (cause the nostormo as its own time)

ppl on earth will wait 40 years til they see nostromo.....

if u know anyone able to calculate time dilatation and make new calculations or somethin ask them so they can give us an alternative speed at which it would take 10 months to the nostromo crew to reach earth, with that new speed u can easly calculate yourself how many time woudl earth have to wait till they receive nostromo

if someone can make this calculations i would be gratefull..........

if u see any failures in this just tell me, prove me im wrong with facts dotn say just "travels faster than lgiht end of story" cause if what i said is not wrong its atleast a possibility.....

---------------------------

now after writin this i just remembered that in aliens (idk if its only in SE) ripley had a daughter and she promised her she woudl be back for his 11 birthday which means that nostormo would take tops 11 years to reach earth (suposin ripley left the daughter with 1 year old....and still promised her even if she didnt understand...)

if this was only in SE then dont ignore what i posted earlier cause ti can still be possible  :P

or better dont gnore at all cause the daughter could be left in cryoslep  :P
(whats the point of that?)

SM

SM

To save you more posts about "tripulants" these are the FACTS.

Nostromo LV-426 to Earth - 10 months REAL TIME.  They are asleep for the 10 months.  It takes 10 months for the Nostromo to fly back to Earth.  Not 10 years.   Not 40 years.

Sulaco Earth to LV-426 - 3 weeks REAL TIME.

Newt hasn't visibly aged between her dad being hugged and the marines finding her.  Think about it.

The Patna and Auriga also travel faster than light.

In the Alien films ships are able to travel in hyperspace and time dilation is minimal.

Chocolate man!

Quote from: Nightmare on Sep 24, 2007, 10:19:58 PM
if theyr werent awakened by the derelict signal, and theyr rout went trough that system (as far as we know nostormo could have headed there from purpose (company orders in ash or something), discuss in the thread about the company knowing about aliens before this subject...)

this way the nostormo would take like lambert said 10 months

anyway, 10 months are 300 days (305 if u count 30 then 31 alternated days)

which makes the 1st calculations wrong!

whoever made the 0,12 lightyears per day calculation made it like if it was 11 months....

i also got an explanation for somethin, wehn lamber says 10 months, tahst for tehm who are traveling near speed of light, in earth the time elapsed is actually much bigger! kinda 39.5 years!

if distance is 39.5 light years, nostormo if traveling at speed of lgiht woudl take 39.5, years since nostormo isnt (cause its impossible) it will take a bit more, so i say 40 years, but may not be correct cause i dont have skills yet to make relativity calculations, im only suposed to mention it in 3 years anyway  :P  :(

so yes, its possible alien universe actually happens in our own universe (star wars can never possible happen in our own universe for example.....)

hope they dont screw this up in future....

Thanks.

Predalien91

Quote from: ShadowPred on Sep 12, 2007, 01:24:25 AM
Quote from: Nightmare on Sep 11, 2007, 10:43:52 PM
thx, u save me some work

anyway...now i will calculate the time it was cause i wana know it:P

velocity=distance/time

0.12=39.5/time

time=39.5/0.12
time=330 days (a bit less...)

well...for those who dont really imagine how big a light year is.....
light in a year travels 9460528400000000 meters

now if 1 light year is 9460528400000000 meters
0.12 light years are...1135263408000000 meters

a day is 24 hours....a hour is 3600 secs...
so....a day are 86400 secs

the speed of nostromo was ... 13139622777,8  m/s

300000000 m/s is the speed of light so nostromo was goin at....43.8 times the light speed....more or less

damn...this is just impossile:P

Why am i the only one here who even understands what you are saying??????

Science words, making my brain hurt :o ???  ::) :P

Chocolate man!

Quote from: Nightmare on Sep 24, 2007, 11:53:00 PM
Quote from: SM on Sep 24, 2007, 11:18:42 PM

thast speculative but ist speculated based on what exactly? i think they mentionated thedus in the movie dialogue....did u make distance calculations or somethin? just got curious?

----------------------------------------------------
nostormo will take 10 months to reach earth, but only for the tripulants (cause the nostormo as its own time)

ppl on earth will wait 40 years til they see nostromo.....

if u know anyone able to calculate time dilatation and make new calculations or somethin ask them so they can give us an alternative speed at which it would take 10 months to the nostromo crew to reach earth, with that new speed u can easly calculate yourself how many time woudl earth have to wait till they receive nostromo

if someone can make this calculations i would be gratefull..........

if u see any failures in this just tell me, prove me im wrong with facts dotn say just "travels faster than lgiht end of story" cause if what i said is not wrong its atleast a possibility.....

---------------------------

now after writin this i just remembered that in aliens (idk if its only in SE) ripley had a daughter and she promised her she woudl be back for his 11 birthday which means that nostormo would take tops 11 years to reach earth (suposin ripley left the daughter with 1 year old....and still promised her even if she didnt understand...)

if this was only in SE then dont ignore what i posted earlier cause ti can still be possible  :P

or better dont gnore at all cause the daughter could be left in cryoslep  :P
(whats the point of that?)

If people on Earth had to wait 40 years to see the Nosrom, then why did Ripley say that she was supposed to be back by her daughter's eleventh birthday?

maledoro

Quote from: Joshy boy on Sep 25, 2007, 07:52:39 PM
If people on Earth had to wait 40 years to see the Nosrom, then why did Ripley say that she was supposed to be back by her daughter's eleventh birthday?
Read SM's timetable again. The trip was supposed to be for two years and 10 months.

Nightmare

Nightmare

hey, i just got an explanation for the nostormo speed bein smaller than light speed and takin more than 11 years to go back to earth and ripley still bein home at her daughter birthday!

you probably didnt understand what just said in the begining of this post, basically im arguing that nostormo was goin slower than light oposite to the 0.12 lgiht years per day calculation made by SM (it was you right?)

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/FTL.html

this article as many explanatiosn for faster than lgith speed and why it cant be crossed

read point 7, if u add cryosleep to the passengers than we got a explanation for nostromo speed

i quote

Quote7. Relativistic Rocket
A controller based on Earth is monitoring a space-ship moving away at a speed 0.8c.  According to the theory of relativity he will observe a time dilation affecting the clocks on the ship and slowing them down by a factor of 0.6, even after he has taken into account the Doppler shift of signals coming from the space-ship.  If he works out the distance moved by the ship divided by the time elapsed as measured by the on-board clocks, he will get an answer of 4/3 c.  This means that the occupants of the ship are traversing the distances between stars at effective speeds greater than the speed of light when measured with their clocks.  From the point of view of the occupants, it is the distance between the stars which is contracted by a factor of 0.6 and they also agree that they are covering the known distances between stars at 4/3 c.

This is a real effect which in principle could be used by space travellers to cover very large distances in their lifetimes.  If they accelerate at a constant acceleration equal to the acceleration due to gravity on Earth, they would not only have a perfect artificial gravity on their ship, but would also be able to cross the galaxy in only about 12 years of their own proper time.  See the relativity FAQ What are the Equations for the Relativistic Rocket?
However, this is not true FTL travel.  The effective speed calculated used the distance in one reference frame and the time in another.  This is not the real speed.  Only the occupants of the ship benefit from this effective speed.  The controller will not see them travelling large distances in his lifetime.

EDIT:

ups, i read it wrong, the ones who would need cryosleep were the ppl on earth.....

the ppl on earth woudl be the ones "aging" more....not the nostromo guys...

still its a good link to why nostromo cant go faster than light.....

EDIT2:

more intresting stuff usefull for spaceship time and speed calculations

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/rocket.html

formulas are there to calculate time changes

some calculations are there alredy made like:

time you travel = 5       
time that earth ages while you travel = 83.7   
distance =  82.7 light years
velocity =  0.99993  of light speed           
The time dilation or length contraction factor at any instant (not sure on what this means) =  86.2

if u get nostromo on there weird stuff will come out of it...

Munkeywrench

Im going way off topic but maybe the Nostromo doesnt actually travel FTL. Consider the Alcubierre drive:

"a method of stretching space in a wave which would in theory cause the fabric of space ahead of a spacecraft to contract and the space behind it to expand. The ship would ride this wave inside a region known as a warp bubble of flat space. Since the ship is not moving within this bubble, but carried along as the region itself moves, conventional relativistic effects such as time dilation do not apply in the way they would in the case of a ship moving at high velocity through flat spacetime. Also, this method of travel does not actually involve moving faster than light in a local sense, since a light beam within the bubble would still always move faster than the ship; it is only "faster than light" in the sense that, thanks to the contraction of the space in front of it, the ship could reach its destination faster than a light beam restricted to travelling outside the warp bubble. Thus, the Alcubierre drive does not contradict the conventional claim that relativity forbids a slower-than-light object to accelerate to faster-than-light speeds." -Wikipedia

I know it sounds similar to Star Trek.

Nightmare

Quote from: Miker25 on Sep 29, 2007, 02:11:42 AM
Im going way off topic but maybe the Nostromo doesnt actually travel FTL. Consider the Alcubierre drive:

"a method of stretching space in a wave which would in theory cause the fabric of space ahead of a spacecraft to contract and the space behind it to expand. The ship would ride this wave inside a region known as a warp bubble of flat space. Since the ship is not moving within this bubble, but carried along as the region itself moves, conventional relativistic effects such as time dilation do not apply in the way they would in the case of a ship moving at high velocity through flat spacetime. Also, this method of travel does not actually involve moving faster than light in a local sense, since a light beam within the bubble would still always move faster than the ship; it is only "faster than light" in the sense that, thanks to the contraction of the space in front of it, the ship could reach its destination faster than a light beam restricted to travelling outside the warp bubble. Thus, the Alcubierre drive does not contradict the conventional claim that relativity forbids a slower-than-light object to accelerate to faster-than-light speeds." -Wikipedia

I know it sounds similar to Star Trek.

its the best explanation we can get till now, thx.

its that or whormholes (unlikly cause of negative energy problem) ......

SM

The best explanation:

INT. BRIDGE

The Nostromo now safely beyond gravity.

DALLAS
Set our course and get us up
to light plus four.

Lambert begins punching buttons.

LAMBERT
Feets get me out of here.

EXT. OUTER SPACE

The Nostromo now at light speed.
Preceptible movement in the surrounding universe.
A corona effect emerges.
Stars approaching the Nostromo appear blue.
Receding stars going to amber.
Redshift, made visible because of the craft's velocity.

Nightmare

Quote from: SM on Sep 30, 2007, 11:01:08 PM
The best explanation:

INT. BRIDGE

The Nostromo now safely beyond gravity.

DALLAS
Set our course and get us up
to light plus four.

Lambert begins punching buttons.

LAMBERT
Feets get me out of here.

EXT. OUTER SPACE

The Nostromo now at light speed.
Preceptible movement in the surrounding universe.
A corona effect emerges.
Stars approaching the Nostromo appear blue.
Receding stars going to amber.
Redshift, made visible because of the craft's velocity.

is that the script?

was that in the movie?

sry havent watched alien for some time....

anyway when they say light speed they can refer to the explanation from miker25, or any other explanatiopn from the link i posted.... even it wont be real FTL....

we will never get to agree so, every one with his own explanation.....if it doesnt bother u it is cientifically impossible then fine, its just a movie anyway (still bothers me)

maledoro

Although it wasn't in the movie, it's still an explanation. If you want to know something that isn't shown onscreen, it is alright to consult an offscreen source, as long as it is one that is connected to the film.

SM

Either way, ships in the Alien films go FTL.  Stuff like the CMTM and Aliens RPG have treid to explain how exactly, but consulting real world resources that say ships CAN'T go FTL is a waste of time since it directly contradicts the rules set out in the film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed