The truth about religion - An Atheist perspective

Started by Wolfy, Jun 10, 2007, 01:05:29 AM

Author
The truth about religion - An Atheist perspective (Read 7,620 times)

gameoverman

Quote from: SM on Jun 11, 2007, 09:54:45 PM
QuoteThe problem is religion (esp. Islam and Christianity) tries to dominate.

That's being overly general.  I know a few born again Christians - who have something of a reputation for wanting to convert others.  None of them have ever tried to push their faith on me.  In fact one of them said that religion is something you have to find yourself rather than having it pushed on you.

Usually they only target the very young, the dispossessed and the vulnerable.

Fitzley

Since the belief in a deity is often a philosophical question, atheism is the branch that theorizes their is no god. Humanism is something completely different in my mind.

Could you not indoctrinate a child from birth to reject the very notion of god? The same way as you indoctrinate them to believe in god? Many children will accept parental socialization, others reject it.

I rejected the notion of god from an early age despite my parent's best efforts. Santa Clause was better anyway, he brought me stuff.

gameoverman

Quote from: Fitzley on Jun 12, 2007, 02:00:08 AM
Could you not indoctrinate a child from birth to reject the very notion of god? The same way as you indoctrinate them to believe in god? Many children will accept parental socialization, others reject it.

Yes you could but it seems kind of pointless to tell a kid not to believe in God.  Religion is not just about that, it's about a whole lot of rituals and stuff.  Atheism doesn't have all those rituals so it's not like you can actually indoctrinate a kid into atheism.

QuoteI rejected the notion of god from an early age despite my parent's best efforts. Santa Clause was better anyway, he brought me stuff.

That's because you live in a relatively free society and there are many other atheists out there so you aren't alone.

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Fitzley on Jun 12, 2007, 02:00:08 AM
I rejected the notion of god from an early age despite my parent's best efforts.

I followed my mother's lead until I was 11 or 12, when the thought finally occured to me that I could decide for myself what I thought of religion.   From then on, I've been non-religious.  Not an atheist, just non-religious.

QuoteSanta Clause was better anyway, he brought me stuff.

Me too, when I was little.  I don't do Christmas or Easter or any of that stuff any more either.  I just don't see the point.  (And thankfully, my girlfriend agrees, which makes it much easier.)

But I'm not an idiot...I'll still take off work the public holiday when they come around.  :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed