The Next Chapter - New Alien: Covenant Featurette

Started by puscyfer, Apr 12, 2017, 06:16:23 AM

Author
The Next Chapter - New Alien: Covenant Featurette (Read 43,632 times)

echobbase79

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 12, 2017, 04:41:46 PM
Claiming that 'Prometheus' supposedly remains "very scary" is not an optimistic sign. Seems to be further confirmation he still doesn't seem to acknowledge it had any real flaws.

Yeah, Prometheus was about as scary as a old school Scooby Doo episode.

But I have to admit that A:C looks pretty menacing.

Bad Replicant

I wouldn't expect him to disparage Prometheus while promoting the sequel. :P 

I think there's fair indication that he felt there were course corrections to be made in Covenant, whether he'd explicitly admit that or not.

GrimmVision

I'd have to disagree to some extent about Prometheus not being scary. In retrospect the situations presented to the characters in Prometheus, I think were just as frightening as the situations the characters dealt with in Alien. We as an audience have definitely become desnsitized to a degree and I think that's partially to blame. It takes a lot more to scare us when watching a film. I guarantee that if I had a giant worm alien wrapped around my arm attempting to break it, I sure as hell won't be reminded of that time Scooby Doo was being chased by the mummy!

That being said, there's a whole lot of elements that need to seemlessly mesh to make you truly fear what is happening on screen.

echobbase79

The only "frightening" part about Prometheus was the scene where Shaw aborts the trilobite. That was creepy.

GrimmVision

Could Prometheus have hit the head of the nail a tad better when it came to being genuinely frightening? Sure, it could have. The tonal atmosphere created by sound, music, and dialogue could've made what was happening on screen all the more frightening.

I think it's scarier than Aliens and probably about as scary as Alien 3.

The first is simply a materspiece in how it plays with your psyche.

SuicideDoors

Quote from: Coalesced Chaos on Apr 12, 2017, 05:32:37 PM
I think it's scarier than Aliens and probably about as scary as Alien 3.

Aliens is an extremely intense film. I think it's almost too exciting to be genuinely scary. But it's head and shoulders above Prometheus in every regard. The premise of Prometheus is creepy, but whereas Aliens is too exciting to be frightening I personally feel Prometheus is too dull.

Kimo

Aint read most of this thread. But is this clip(s) spoiler heavy? I've only watched the first 2 trailers and the TV spots and seen the leaked alien creatures from late last year, of the facehugger and the Neomorphs head with the rip in its lip. I'm now trying to keep away from anymore spoilers ect ect. So can i watch this clip or should i avoid? I don't mind if it's nothing spoiler heavy and just other shots of things we already know about.

Tyler HC

Tyler HC

Is the audio awful on this or is it just my system ?

JCDenton

Quote from: JCDenton on Apr 12, 2017, 01:16:34 PM
Hi Guys.

Can you make out more details than that ? I tried to edit and enhance the image @ work, maybe if i turn it negative the text would be more visible ?

Sorry for the bump, but i think this is the Paradise planet, and if someone can enhance these letters it would be very good :)

Pvt. Himmel

Pvt. Himmel

Quote from: Tyler HC on Apr 12, 2017, 05:50:57 PM
Is the audio awful on this or is it just my system ?

I think it's the way it was recorded.

Quote from: JCDenton on Apr 12, 2017, 06:06:52 PM
Quote from: JCDenton on Apr 12, 2017, 01:16:34 PM
Hi Guys.

Can you make out more details than that ? I tried to edit and enhance the image @ work, maybe if i turn it negative the text would be more visible ?

Sorry for the bump, but i think this is the Paradise planet, and if someone can enhance these letters it would be very good :)

Surface g-force.
Surface temperature.
02 Level.
Nitrogen Level.
Moons- 02.
Argon.
Rotation Speed.
Axis Angle.
Mass 7.22 x 10
Diameter 2350 or 2250
Mean Density 5520

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Beardomorph on Apr 12, 2017, 03:38:18 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Apr 12, 2017, 03:25:04 PM
Quote from: Beardomorph on Apr 12, 2017, 03:18:21 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Apr 12, 2017, 03:10:37 PM
Quote from: Evanus on Apr 12, 2017, 03:00:29 PM
Perhaps
Spoiler
David got that scar from fighting with Walter.
[close]

Possibly.

Spoiler
That would make no sense as that would mean the final switcheroo twist isn't a twist. If David gets a scar from fighting Walter, then the audience would know it's David in the last part of the movie, and I'm fairly sure from the leaks that we're not supposed to know this is David.

The more probable outcome is that Walter gets cut at some point and that David must cut himself to look like him.
Unless it happens off screen, and the audience has no way to tell whether David or Walter gets cut in the face... then yes, David could get that scar from an off screen confrontation with Walter.
My money is on the first option  ;D
[close]

Spoiler
According to leaks Walter is killed off-screen
[close]

Yes, but
Spoiler
the cut right on the face seems too obvious to be something that happens off screen. If I was writing that thing - I know, I'm not  ;D - it would make sense to give the cut to Walter so that the audience can't even suspect that it might be David later on. Quite a few people on here have commented that the switcheroo was a bit "on the nose" as a concept, plus I remember the guy from the original leak not understanding that it was David at the end... so my point is that for the switcheroo to be really effective it would have to be Walter who gets the cut on screen and David who does it to himself off screen.

Fine, I just want David to be enough of a crazy villain that they'd throw in some evil self-mutilation for good measure. Is that too much to ask?  ;D
[close]

Yeah I get your point and agree.

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 12, 2017, 04:41:46 PM
Claiming that 'Prometheus' supposedly remains "very scary" is not an optimistic sign. Seems to be further confirmation he still doesn't seem to acknowledge it had any real flaws.

It's a promo material. What do you want him to say? Prometheus wasn't scary and it's flawed? Come on :) He has to say those things but I wouldn't mind him using different words. It's always the same.

SpeedyMaxx

I think Prometheus pulled a few too many punches (possibly due to the studio's concern about a hard R) and could've gone all in on the body horror and scarier monsters. I think it was a mistake going with Ape Fifield over CG Alien Fifield; I think the scene with Milburn and the snake was far too short. Any time (other than the medpod sequence) where something creepy or gross popped up - Mutant Holloway, etc. - it was dead or gone in seconds. (The Fifield sequence also feels like it's on fast-forward, and I don't think we've ever seen the original sequence where Shaw runs him down.) That was a mistake IMO and so was the cheesy stinger with the Deacon. If a giant alien is going to show up Shaw should've fought it.

I think the medpod scene stands up to Alien and is one of the most viscerally gutwrenching sequences in the franchise. I like the film a lot for its new ambition and new ideas, though not all of them are properly realized. I think the leads are great. Flaws aside I thought it was the right direction to take the franchise - further outward, beyond just that one alien, going somewhere new.

As others have said I think Covenant is a very clear course correction based on feedback to Prometheus. The question is in what ways. Certainly in terms of horror and violence, it seems to have a lot more stuff that I'd wanted in Prometheus in that respect. But what I know of the actual plot and storyline feels extremely derivative of the previous entries in the franchise, much more safe and generically crowdpleasing. I also feel the direct prequelization with the alien and potential developments with David cheapen both that character and Alien as a film. I think that is totally unneeded and I feel the likelihood that they're dumping virtually everything new from Prometheus save Fassbender is a copout.

You can have gruesome space horror and still go in a new direction. The last film did. I don't feel this one, from what I've seen thus far, does. But it was a good business decision for Ridley and for the studio, and I'm sure it will be a fun time. It looks fantastic style-wise and the horror is all there. I expect to enjoy it, but I also expect to be disappointed creatively.

Evanus

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 12, 2017, 07:28:43 PM
I think Prometheus pulled a few too many punches (possibly due to the studio's concern about a hard R) and could've gone all in on the body horror and scarier monsters. I think it was a mistake going with Ape Fifield over CG Alien Fifield; I think the scene with Milburn and the snake was far too short. Any time (other than the medpod sequence) where something creepy or gross popped up - Mutant Holloway, etc. - it was dead or gone in seconds. (The Fifield sequence also feels like it's on fast-forward, and I don't think we've ever seen the original sequence where Shaw runs him down.) That was a mistake IMO and so was the cheesy stinger with the Deacon. If a giant alien is going to show up Shaw should've fought it.

I think the medpod scene stands up to Alien and is one of the most viscerally gutwrenching sequences in the franchise. I like the film a lot for its new ambition and new ideas, though not all of them are properly realized. I think the leads are great. Flaws aside I thought it was the right direction to take the franchise - further outward, beyond just that one alien, going somewhere new.

As others have said I think Covenant is a very clear course correction based on feedback to Prometheus. The question is in what ways. Certainly in terms of horror and violence, it seems to have a lot more stuff that I'd wanted in Prometheus in that respect. But what I know of the actual plot and storyline feels extremely derivative of the previous entries in the franchise, much more safe and generically crowdpleasing. I also feel the direct prequelization with the alien and potential developments with David cheapen both that character and Alien as a film. I think that is totally unneeded and I feel the likelihood that they're dumping virtually everything new from Prometheus save Fassbender is a copout.

You can have gruesome space horror and still go in a new direction. The last film did. I don't feel this one, from what I've seen thus far, does. But it was a good business decision for Ridley and for the studio, and I'm sure it will be a fun time. It looks fantastic style-wise and the horror is all there. I expect to enjoy it, but I also expect to be disappointed creatively.
Yeah, I agree with you 1000%. Just.. this.

BUGZ

That was a good video. It's gave me some hope for this movie. Did anyone else notice the scare down the left side of Walters face? It seems like they are focused on  ONE alien as some of the scenes we saw.

It would be great to have more of these types of features leading up to the movie.

Bri :o

salomonj

I have a hunch that the scene with young Peter Weyland and David will be phenomenal

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed