Covenant made only for 111 millions.

Started by Ingwar, May 07, 2017, 09:46:21 AM

Author
Covenant made only for 111 millions. (Read 24,089 times)

Ingwar

Ingwar

Scott reveals Covenant budget.

Quote"It's fatal to turn up on set and say, 'What are we going to do?'" he says. "Fatal to discuss where the cameras are going to go. You cannot do that. That's where it comes unhinged. A film like Alien: Covenant would normally be 100 days; we did it in 74. We made it for $111m, as opposed to $180m or $260m. It's insane the amount of money spent. When you're spending $250m on a movie, you should have been fired a year ago."

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/may/07/ridley-scott-i-really-wanted-to-scare-alien-covenant-interview-blade-runner-2049

Darkness

Darkness

So, slightly less than Prometheus's $120-$130M. That's still quite a lot of money for what is essentially a small monster movie.

John Doe

John Doe

It's really not much money for a big blockbuster.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Darkness on May 07, 2017, 09:51:27 AM
So, slightly less than Prometheus's $120-$130M. That's still quite a lot of money for what is essentially a small monster movie.

Small? I'm totally surprised that it's been made for less than Prometheus. The Martian was made for 108 millions but it doesn't have such visually epic special effect like bombing Engineers city and it's doesn't have monster in it. It's has to be tax rebate plus Scott works quick and he knows how to deal with money.

That being said, I'm fully optimistic about Covenant sequel regarding money (budget and box office) issue.

Darkness

Darkness

Considering Anderson managed to make AvP for $60M, and it had way more practical creature work and effects, $111M is a lot.

newagescamartist

An $111 million movie makes good box office number more attainable. This greatly increases odds of us getting another Alien film.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Darkness on May 07, 2017, 10:09:10 AM
Considering Anderson managed to make AvP for $60M, and it had way more practical creature work and effects, $111M is a lot.

There are more special effect in Covenant and they're much better than in AvP.

Covenant's got more built sets than AvP. And it's not only the quantity but quality as well. It costs.

AvP doesn't have Fassbender in it. He ain't cheap.

AvP mas made by Anderson. Covenant by Scott. He ain't cheap either.

Cheeseburgers

Cheeseburgers

Quote from: newagescamartist on May 07, 2017, 10:10:35 AM
An $111 million movie makes good box office number more attainable. This greatly increases odds of us getting another Alien film.

Most definitely. It'll easily make twice that by end of month tops.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: newagescamartist on May 07, 2017, 10:10:35 AM

Yep.

SuicideDoors

I can't believe it's $111million. The film looks so grandiose and gorgeous, it has the look of a $150million blockbuster it truly does.

It'll make most of that back in it's first week of overseas release. Really chuffed with this news.

NickisSmart

And his film looks like crap compared to Scott's stuff...

cliffhanger

cliffhanger

i most certainly hope you weren't serious with this comment.

111 million huh. this movie is going to grab 1/3 of the budget on official opening night worldwide alone. I get the feeling this will do 650 million + at about the 'end' of it's worldwide cinema run. THEN, when the special extended cut BluRay DVD comes out, with behind-the scenes footage and stuff, it'll do a couple of hundred millions extra.

this movie definately is blowing new life into the alien. a crowd of applause and hats being taken off to ridley.

whiterabbit

He did it for 111M... however what was the total allotted budget. He claims to have finished the film in 74 days vs a more reasonable 100 days. He also throws out 180M. I mean did he meet the budget or was he able to come in well under budget? Is the reason they're showing so many trailers etc because of the extra cash left over? :P

Did they have to pay Fassbender twice? :P  :laugh: Shit he alone was probably 15% of the budget.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Ingwar on May 07, 2017, 10:17:19 AM
Covenant's got more built sets than AvP. And it's not only the quantity but quality as well. It costs.
AvP was done entirely on sets and they were all immense and well-made. That film looked like it cost 100 million on the sets alone.

Clowndog

AvP also came out 13 years ago, so I imagine the equivalent of 60 million would be somewhat higher today.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed