Scott: I think the Beast is almost run out, personally.

Started by Ingwar, Nov 02, 2017, 10:49:37 PM

Author
Scott: I think the Beast is almost run out, personally. (Read 105,708 times)

KiramidHead

The Martian isn't, but Gladiator was 18 years ago now. Contrast to crap like Exodus that was only four years ago.

SM

Contrast to Prometheus and Covenant that aren't.  All The Money In The World might've tanked, but it was positively received.

And Exodus is under-rated.

Huggs

whiterabbit

Alright I stopped playing catch up the moment I read someone suggesting that Tennessee is the Space Jockey.

TheBATMAN

I'd say the way to fix the problem is have the third film reveal that David did actually just recreate the xenomorph from Engineer design and he lied about it to demonstrate his genius and superiority - a flaw much like the Byron/Shelley thing that shows he is as much of a false god as the humans he so despises.

Then the derelict on LV-426 can be just what it was originally.

Xenomrph

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Aug 04, 2018, 11:26:44 AM
I'd say the way to fix the problem is have the third film reveal that David did actually just recreate the xenomorph from Engineer design and he lied about it to demonstrate his genius and superiority - a flaw much like the Byron/Shelley thing that shows he is as much of a false god as the humans he so despises.

I'm totally on-board with all of this, but rather than have it that David consciously, intentionally lied, just reveal that he genuinely thought he was the creator of the xenomorph but that he was just mistaken, in the same way he got the Shelley/Byron thing wrong. I don't think he was lying when he mis-attributed the author, I think he genuinely believed what he was saying but he was just wrong. Having him genuinely think he created something only to find out he was wrong would be a devastating blow to his ego, while simultaneously having him be a "false god".

The Old One

The Old One

Yep, and Covenant gets to keep it's own context.

0321recon

0321recon

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 04, 2018, 12:27:38 PM

I'm totally on-board with all of this, but rather than have it that David consciously, intentionally lied, just reveal that he genuinely thought he was the creator of the xenomorph but that he was just mistaken, in the same way he got the Shelley/Byron thing wrong. I don't think he was lying when he mis-attributed the author, I think he genuinely believed what he was saying but he was just wrong. Having him genuinely think he created something only to find out he was wrong would be a devastating blow to his ego, while simultaneously having him be a "false god".

I could see that happening when the Engineers come with a group of big chap xenos to destroy David, his creations, and whatever colonists are left in the Covenant, and that's if the film gets done.  It's up to the writers of they go in that direction to appease some of the fans.

irn

Totally. I'd still massively hoping that the Engineers themselves turn out to be human creations and the Space Jockey on LV-426 is millions of years old.

The Old One

The Old One

The Engineers human creations? Nah.

Humans themselves in all but name? Yes.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I like the tragic irony behind  8)

Quote from: irn on Aug 04, 2018, 07:27:54 PM
Totally. I'd still massively hoping that the Engineers themselves turn out to be human creations and the Space Jockey on LV-426 is millions of years old.

I want the Lovecraftian horror back, but for some odd reason, I kinda like them. And honestly, I can live knowing that the original Space Jockey is an Engineer. However, I'm still keen on the idea of another alien civilization, you know, like in Dan O'Bannon's original screenplay where the pilots and the guys who built the pyramid are two different alien cultures.

Very expensive and almost impossible at this point, I know. But one can dream...

Xenomrph

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Aug 05, 2018, 12:40:17 AM

I want the Lovecraftian horror back, but for some odd reason, I kinda like them.
If it makes you feel any better, the Engineers creating humanity is a sort of Lovecraftian horror, it's just from a different angle. "Strange creatures created humanity/protagonists but are otherwise indifferent to them, calling into question all of humanity's history" is straight out of 'The Shadow Over Innsmouth'

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 05, 2018, 04:05:21 AM
Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Aug 05, 2018, 12:40:17 AM

I want the Lovecraftian horror back, but for some odd reason, I kinda like them.
If it makes you feel any better, the Engineers creating humanity is a sort of Lovecraftian horror, it's just from a different angle. "Strange creatures created humanity/protagonists but are otherwise indifferent to them, calling into question all of humanity's history"

Yeah, I guess it's quite Lovecraftian from that point of view. Nevertheless, at least one group or faction of Engineers seems to care for mankind:

But I still believe that they can resurrect the old Starbeast idea: just as the pilot found the pyramid and the ancient parasites in the planetoid, maybe the Engineers found something even more Alien than themselves, perhaps a form of otherworldly technology like Black Goo, which I suspect, could have been influenced in norse mythology:

QuoteEitr is a mythical substance in Norse mythology. This liquid substance is the origin of all living things: the first giant Ymir was conceived from eitr. The substance is supposed to be very poisonous and is also produced by Jörmungandr (the Midgard serpent) and other serpents.

So dear FOX/Disney, f**k that hipster shit and the whole pseudo-intellectual crap and bring me my goddamn biomechanical civilization just for the sake of my Giger obsession. You think you can do that, FOX/Disney?

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 05, 2018, 04:05:21 AM
is straight out of 'The Shadow Over Innsmouth'

Maybe off topic, but I wonder if Lovecraft took influences from Mesopotamian mythology while building his story for 'The Shadow Over Innsmouth' since there are legends about demigods in the shape of fish-man hybrids who are sent by the gods to impart knowledge to people.

Xenomrph

Where is that "space asteroid with the carved faces" image from? I don't think I've seen it before, but it's super-cool.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Aug 05, 2018, 09:52:37 PM
Maybe off topic, but I wonder if Lovecraft took influences from Mesopotamian mythology while building his story for 'The Shadow Over Innsmouth' since there are legends about demigods in the shape of fish-man hybrids who are sent by the gods to impart knowledge to people.

Think I read somewhere he used history and mythology as an influence.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed