Neil Blomkamp Has "Moved On" From Alien 5

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 02, 2018, 10:23:48 PM

Author
Neil Blomkamp Has "Moved On" From Alien 5 (Read 86,447 times)

acrediblesource

This much i doubt. Interest is still interest, and by making the news it constitutes as internet searchable.
And even if Neil is not as bright as a button as we think, ANYONE can take on the reigns of this project, it doesn't stop at Neil. Considering that Directors are still directors and production companies are production companies.

Huggs

Moved on? Disney buys fox and Alien 5 starts to come out of the woodwork alittle. I don't blame him, it's what I'd do. The likelihood of it being made though, I think, is on the low side. It just seems too fan-ficky.

Disregarding other films in order to bring back older actors, I think this is a bad idea. Ripley is dead. Alien 3 wasn't some made for tv movie. It was a legitimate studio film that finalized her story. In the spirit of continuity, it counts. Hicks is dead, as are bishop and newt. These were good characters, but they're gone. To bring them back feels like some attempt at making Aliens 1.5 I've said it before, I'm old enough to remember Ripley dying in Alien 3 and that being the end of her story. The idea of giving original human Ripley the deja-vu treatment is just weird. More importantly, in this universe, how in the world would Ripley and Hicks still be alive at that age? Either the Aliens would've long since taken over, Wey-Yu has them killed, or I suppose they go into hiding for how many years? Given the companies resources, survival for any decent length of time would be unlikely.

As for the Aliens 86 style, when we talk about Ridley broadening any horizons, it was Cameron who took a creature and built a universe around it. The thing we must remember, is that those Marines, dropships, planet colonization, queens, hives, all that stuff now exists within the universe. It existed, even in Alien 3. In order to proceed forward from Aliens, you have to take this stuff into account. Cameron made his movie and left us where he left us. While I'd rather receive a film in the spirit of Alien Isolation, Aliens and humans can only Ping-Pong off each other so long, before one begins to dominate the other. This is why I believe Gibson was the most aware of the logical direction this series was headed after Aliens.

I don't think Neil is ready to head a film of this (or that) magnitude. District 9 and Elysium had some interesting ideas, but for something of this scale and priority, it should be given to a more experienced and accomplished director, such as Cameron.

SM

I don't get the 'fan-fic' charge.

What makes Blomkamp's ideas fan-fic when all we know is Ripley, Hicks and marines might be in it?

Alionic

Quote from: SM on Jan 04, 2018, 12:35:40 AM
I don't get the 'fan-fic' charge.

What makes Blomkamp's ideas fan-fic when all we know is Ripley, Hicks and marines might be in it?

Resurrecting dead characters, retconning Alien 3, and bringing back space marines in a film for a particularly loud segment of the Alien fanbase certainly qualifies it as being a "fanfiction" film.

SM

The idea of a alternate sequel to Aliens appealed well beyond the fanbase.

Alionic

Quote from: SM on Jan 04, 2018, 12:43:09 AM

According to what and who?

Huggs

"The idea of a alternate sequel to Aliens appealed well beyond the fanbase."

Valid point SM. And if done well, it could be a fantastic film. I'm simply hesitant to say Neil's idea is the right one.

And just to clarify, I'm among the group of people who do not want another film made like Aliens. My endorsement of Cameron is merely based on the fact that Fincher is done with the Franchise, and would be more suited to a lone Alien film. Ridley is already doing his thing.

And I'm not opposed to the inclusion of the Marines or their equipment. I'd merely prefer they were relegated to a smaller supportive role, such as a handful working security on a station. Supporting characters, seen once in awhile. Their role could increase as things got messier. But eventually they'd be dispatched, some offscreen.

SM

SM

Quote from: Alionic on Jan 04, 2018, 12:46:23 AM

According to what and who?

According to the reaction it got at the time.  It wasn't just confined to the fan community.  Perhaps it's just me, but when I start typing 'neil blomkamp' into Google, the first suggestion is 'neill blomkamp alien'.

You make a valid point about those aspects being fan-fic-ish, but I find the fan-fic charge a little lazy considering we know bog all about the actual story.

Scorpio

It wouldn't get the charge of 'fan fiction' if it was its own beast, but it's clearly not.  It doesn't stand on its own. 

The director himself stated he is a massive fan of Aliens.  The concept art has shown Queens, dropships and pulse rifles from Aliens.

Neill himself holding his own prop pulse rifle. 

How much more fanboy can you get.

Tonyhartmorph

Tonyhartmorph

If he's 'moved on' why is he still uploading derivative concept art on Instagram right around the time Disney buys out 20th Century Fox? Nothing to do with getting the fans riled up who want Ripley, Hicks and Newt back I suppose... decades after the fact. 

What's his motivation in doing such a thing at such a pertinent time?

Huggs

I'll tell you what would've made me feel better about it. If Neil had come out and said he was following a mutated version of Gibson's script. Where Alien 3 was left intact, and a creature, or creatures that had also stowed away on the now abandoned Sulaco, would be captured by Wey-Yu upon it's return. That and the Spore material. Hicks could be replaced by a different character (or several). As could bishop. Maybe remove the U.O.P.P. and boom. Large scale Aliens film with Marines. And Gibson's wonderful script. The series continues forward, nothing retconned and nobody brought back.

Immortan Jonesy

Just me, but I'm not so interested in 'Aliens 2'. However, after seeing a Derelict in his concept art, I was hoping for an alternate interpretation of the Space Jockey. But since Ridley's vision is canon, I guess it could be labeled as 'fan fiction' as well :P

haha

Good riddance. Disney will come up with something, no doubt, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it'd be some what of a soft or *almost* total reboot. Ridley will still undoubtedly be involved however, he has too much pull and good will behind him, to think otherwise would be foolish, but whatever it will be will largely be very loosely a sequel to Covenant but more its own thing; they'll simply market it as another instalment in the universe, and probably drop Alien from the title as well. My prediction.

Muthur 9000

Muthur 9000

That's a pity, I wanted more alien films. I didn't like the idea of retconning 3 and 4, the Alien universe is so big so there's no need to constantly follow Ripley.

I really hope Ridley gets to see through his vision, I want as many movies as it takes for him to tell his story.

Sadangryboy

Sadangryboy

WHY ? WHY ? WHY ? WHY ? WHY ? WHY ? SHAME ON THE ALIEN FRANCHISE   :'(

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed