Neil Blomkamp Has "Moved On" From Alien 5

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 02, 2018, 10:23:48 PM

Author
Neil Blomkamp Has "Moved On" From Alien 5 (Read 86,442 times)

Dill-On

Dill-On

Quote from: Deaconschristpose on Jan 06, 2018, 03:45:22 PM
As cool as this could be, can we stop calling it Alien 5? It's Alien 2.5, or really Aliens 2.

No, because it would be the 5th movie about Ellen Ripley..... and we don't need it.

I think we deserve new story, without destroying preovious four movies + it should be something better than AVP and Prometheus.

I'm glad that Blomkamp moved on.

Yahzee

Quote from: Deaconschristpose on Jan 06, 2018, 03:45:22 PM
As cool as this could be, can we stop calling it Alien 5? It's Alien 2.5, or really Aliens 2.
...I always call it Aliens 2 because that's what it is

Sent from my ALE-L23 using Tapatalk

acrediblesource

AL|ENS ||     
MUST!!!! Its so infinite and unique. Didn't they blow Hadleys hope sky high anyway? Or do we drum it up to bad 80s special effects?

Ash 937

According to FOX, the sequel to Aliens has already been made and it's called Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Alionic

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 05, 2018, 04:25:30 PM
Quote from: Alionic on Jan 05, 2018, 12:22:04 AM
Retconning Alien 3 is lazy, unoriginal, and even—depending on who you ask—creatively bankrupt as shit. I'm sorry you still don't understand this, I guess?

Good thing that he wasn't planning on "retconning" Alien 3 then, I guess?

...how is bringing Newt and Hicks back from the dead not retconning that film? He wants to turn Alien 3 into fake news.

darkvegett0

"Retconning Alien 3 is lazy, unoriginal, and even—depending on who you ask—creatively bankrupt as shit. I'm sorry you still don't understand this, I guess?"

Lol and prom had good story telling??.. i guess....

"and I credit a lot of that films success to Peter Jackson's skill as a producer)."
That's exactly how I feel about Ridley Scott s films...and I'm sure
Awful lot of stones in the Ridley nutt riding house

Alionic

Quote from: darkvegett0 on Jan 07, 2018, 04:04:32 AM
"Retconning Alien 3 is lazy, unoriginal, and even—depending on who you ask—creatively bankrupt as shit. I'm sorry you still don't understand this, I guess?"

Lol and prom had good story telling??.. i guess....

"and I credit a lot of that films success to Peter Jackson's skill as a producer)."
That's exactly how I feel about Ridley Scott s films...and I'm sure
Awful lot of stones in the Ridley nutt riding house

k

PsyKore

Quote from: Ash 937 on Jan 06, 2018, 10:38:25 PM
According to FOX, the sequel to Aliens has already been made and it's called Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Yeah, let's all just quietly ignore that ridiculousness, shall we? :laugh:

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Alionic on Jan 07, 2018, 02:43:43 AM
...how is bringing Newt and Hicks back from the dead not retconning that film? He wants to turn Alien 3 into fake news.

Because he is not bringing Newt and Hicks back from the dead. Alien 3 and A:R will remain completely untouched.

Why is it so difficult for you haters to understand?

Alionic

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 07, 2018, 04:38:50 PM

Because he is not bringing Newt and Hicks back from the dead. Alien 3 and A:R will remain completely untouched.

An older Hicks was in his artwork, and Michael Biehn confirmed he was contacted about the film before it was cancelled. I'm all ears if you can rationally explain how bringing back his dead character does not in fact retcon Alien 3.

And I think most of the hate towards Blomkamp's proposed film was about bringing back these dead characters rather than it returning to the action-oriented approach of Aliens.

DaddyYautja

man, this sucks. He would've brought crazy tech and interesting battles.

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Alionic on Jan 07, 2018, 06:33:39 PM

An older Hicks was in his artwork, and Michael Biehn confirmed he was contacted about the film before it was cancelled. I'm all ears if you can rationally explain how bringing back his dead character does not in fact retcon Alien 3.

And I think most of the hate towards Blomkamp's proposed film was about bringing back these dead characters rather than it returning to the action-oriented approach of Aliens.

It's an alternate timeline, for the one-thousandth time.

Alien - Aliens - Neill's Movie

Alien - Aliens - Alien 3 - Alien: Resurrection

And everyone loves action. What's wrong with action. What's wrong with shadows, headbites, and gunfire.

Everyone in the civilized world loves Alien and Aliens.

Huggs

For me it was definitely more along the lines of returning characters, than an action-oriented plot. Let us not forget that for all the action that was in Aliens, Cameron really did a good job delivering some scary moments of his own. And I don't just mean big moments or set pieces. I'd dare say the ping of the motion tracker is one of the scariest sounds I've ever heard in a film. I mean, the distant howl from "an American werewolf in London" was a scary sound effect, but when that motion tracker goes off in Aliens, the nards go tight.

The inclusion of Hicks and Human Ripley in Alien 5, would necessitate the need to retcon Alien 3. Chocking that film up to space dreams, would be a rather poor way to do it, in my opinion. Then you have the whole business of them being much older, and you're basically continuing the "evil company" theme as well. If that happens then the Alien slips swiftly into terminator territory. This is a quality and much beloved franchise. Those characters that are gone should stay gone. In an entire fictional universe, with billions of humans, there must be one interesting character out there in the vast cosmos. The Alien is an unstoppable force of evolutionary evil, it stands to reason that even Ripley was gonna die at some point. To survive these things over and over is simply unrealistic, and if you want the franchise to continue indefinitely, you have to make plans that don't involve using the same actors again and again.

Alien 3 was a very under-appreciated movie for its time. It took the series back to its roots and made Ripley confront the inevitable. I'd say it sealed everything up rather nicely. Retconing Alien 3 and bringing back main characters means one thing, you're having to build the movie around those characters and their motivations/storylines. Consequently, narrative creativity is reduced, and we lose an opportunity to experience something truly original and unique. We'd actually be losing Alien 5, and getting Aliens 1.5

Alionic

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jan 07, 2018, 08:30:25 PM

It's an alternate timeline, for the one-thousandth time.

Alien - Aliens - Neill's Movie
e
Alien - Aliens - Alien 3 - Alien: Resurrection

...and how the hell do you rationalize two alternate timelines with the same character(s) happening at the same time? Storywise, it seems like you want Blomkamp's film to be even more convoluted and nonsensical than Terminator: Genisys. You really want TIME TRAVEL in the Alien series simply because you can't let go of Hicks and Newt? Is it that really hard to make an Alien action film without these characters?

This is just shameful.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

No need to rationally explain how he's bringing back dead characters if they never died. As Bishop already explained, Blomkamp's film follows an alternative timeline. It's Alien, Aliens and then the timelines diverge. It's two separate universes from then on out that have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with each other anymore.

It would have been a retcon if Blomkamp was going to explain Alien 3 away as a bad dream or through some other daft method such as time-travel or Hicks and Newt clones. His solution is much more elegant, no need for retcons involving time travel, clones or bad dreams.

Fans will now have a choice, they can either stick to the original quadrilogy timeline and version of events or follow the alternative chain of events. It's like those old choose-your-own-adventure books. But it seems certain members on here hate the idea of having a choice?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed