Aliens 30th Anniversary: The Original Comics Series (Original Dark Horse sequel)

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 16, 2015, 06:20:23 PM

Author
Aliens 30th Anniversary: The Original Comics Series (Original Dark Horse sequel) (Read 41,358 times)

426Buddy

Even the library editions are sometimes missing some art, I think they don't include the original tpb covers which is a big bummer. I just got female war and I was saddened that it didnt include this piece
Spoiler
[close]

I can't find the front and back image but I wish they had included it.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 08, 2016, 07:24:35 PMI've often pondered about why DH does that.  I suspect it is so that we order future printings that include the extras?

And they're waiting more then 10 years to do those printings...?

You need to realise what an omnibus is. It's a convenient way to collect the entire story in one place. No more, no less. It's not supposed to be the ultimate collection of everything related to the comic.

Corporal Hicks

I seriously doubt there was any nefarious money-making intent behind the decision. I doubt they'd even think about it - instead choosing to have a more "movie" like experience with a flowing story.

Is it common practice to include cover art in collected volumes? I don't have terribly many - I think the Marvel ones I have do but that's about it.

426Buddy

Regardless it would be nice if it was included, I know I would love it. As for the omnibus it would be nice to have the art in there somewhere considering the art probably won't be collected in any other edition ever, would be nice.

Corporal Hicks

It'd definitely be nice. Sometimes they include stuff like that in the back of the collections.

426Buddy

Yeah the library editions include most of the art and sometimes art from other series at the back of the volume, it's a big factor in why I collected those versions. The "Complete" Fire & Stone included all the art from the each series and that was awesome, loved that they included everything.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 11, 2016, 08:00:07 AM
I seriously doubt there was any nefarious money-making intent behind the decision. I doubt they'd even think about it - instead choosing to have a more "movie" like experience with a flowing story.

Is it common practice to include cover art in collected volumes? I don't have terribly many - I think the Marvel ones I have do but that's about it.

Marvel does it religiously, knowing that fans want the complete art collection that came with the original series.  They often print multiple covers for a first issue of a series.  They will include ALL of that artwork in a collected volume.  There were some compilations decades ago where they didn't do that.  Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle comes to mind, but they abandoned that approach decades ago.  Now when you buy a compilation or omnibus, you can expect to find all of the covers.

HuDaFuK

But that's not the point of DH's omnibus editions. They're meant to be a cheap way to get all the story.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 11, 2016, 07:49:06 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 08, 2016, 07:24:35 PMI've often pondered about why DH does that.  I suspect it is so that we order future printings that include the extras?

And they're waiting more then 10 years to do those printings...?

You need to realise what an omnibus is. It's a convenient way to collect the entire story in one place. No more, no less. It's not supposed to be the ultimate collection of everything related to the comic.

Huda, the Aliens Omnibus series is one thing, but this was the policy even before them.  For example, when Aliens: Book Two came out, half the cover art was missing, or replaced by something else.  The original AVP series TPB did not include the covers either.  So it is not a question of waiting 10 years.

My understanding of what an omnibus is, is just fine thank you.  It does not make reference to inclusion or exclusion of covers at all really.  That's not what an omnibus is about.  You look at Marvel Omnibi, and all the covers are there.  It's just a question of the editor's preference.  In the case of the omnibus series, the editors chose to not include the cover art, and personally, I don't like those printings as a result.  The cover art is often the best art in an entire issue.  I think there are a lot of fans who would agree with me.  Those omnibus printings could have been much better if the cover art were only included.

Corporal Hicks

I wouldn't have thought there'd be extra cost involved in including the covers. They'd presumably already own it all.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 11, 2016, 03:09:15 PM
I wouldn't have thought there'd be extra cost involved in including the covers. They'd presumably already own it all.

Exactly, which is why it always boggled my mind.  Was it really to try to get the fans to buy the original issues as well?  That would seem like a terrible fan disservice to me.  Or was it just a silly editorial decision?  Maybe they thought the fans don't care about the covers.  Who knows?  But if the original AVP series is re-released with the covers, I will actually be tempted to buy it, so maybe their strategy does work.. ::)

426Buddy

I agree with perfect-organism, same feelings about this matter. Those that are actual comic fans usual find the "pretty pictures" very important considering the limitations of story and character depth.

I love the art in most of these series and it would be nice to be able to get them without buying each issue individually.

Anyone ever get a copy of "The Compleat Aliens"? i'm still tempted to buy one even though the cost is outrageous.

Perfect-Organism

Everywhere you look, it says this edition features "Many" of the original covers.  I wonder which ones were included and which excluded.  And of course why not just include them all?

Number13

Number13

Again, I have the original comic books the way they were when they were released, no changes, no alternations. Again, you'd think they'd be more expensive cause of the reprints, but they're not. Just because it's rare doesn't means it's valuable.

I even scanned the pages, made videos of them, and posted them on my Youtube. I was gonna do voice work, but I couldn't round up a voice cast, so I just added music. I can send you guys the link if you wanna see them.

Sidenote, will Alien Propagation be included in this? Cause I thought that was a great comic too, it was like a nature documentary but with Aliens or like that issue of the Walking Dead from the POV of the Walkers. I mean, I know the only thing they changed in the omnibus was changed Archeron to Rim, but I was wondering if that story would be included too.

StrangeShape

Cant wait for it. Always loved Book I, it has that great, immersive 80s story, with great pacing and terrific buildup, with lots of really cool ideas, such as the aliens communicating via nightmares, the alien religion. To have it in its original form, and as a hardcover and with words from both Nelson and Veriheiden is a really great treat

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed