"Enter Vent" and "Transition" as an Alien

Started by VEF214, Jan 21, 2010, 02:04:18 PM

Author
"Enter Vent" and "Transition" as an Alien (Read 16,344 times)

Nino V1

I like it, saves me lookin around for games i want, i just see it everywhere and know how to get it. But back to the point i reckon u aliens will be just fine, i doubt u crawl really slowly into the vent anyway, havent seen the vid or whatever but i doubt that he takes his time getting  into the vent.

Besides once ur in the vent ur pretty safe anyway...

AJL

Quote from: Giger_Incubator on Jan 21, 2010, 03:45:13 PM
Anyone think maybe they have a reason for doing all these things, and they're not just trying to piss you off?

Oh yeah.. they are doing all these things just to piss me off... ;D

I am sure some people couldn't handle wall walking in AvP1&2 too well... Some people
no doubt had some problems with getting into some vents... I know I have had some
problems with some vents in AvP2 sometimes... (wallwalk keep going nuts and turning
me around...) and I am sure they thought these auto-systems would work better...
And I am sure in some situations they sure would...

And I am not against having these automatic vent entry systems... They are very good
addition...

But I am strongly against forcing players to use them... Players should be able to go
through those vents just like they can in AvP2... That Auto - Entry/Exit thing should
be optional help you can you use if you keep getting stuck or something with the
normal way...

EC jay

exactly
it can be a good help, but shouldn't be mandatory

AJL

AJL

And about this wall walking stuff... I maybe wrong but I believe it works like this:

Pressing the WW button turns the wall walk mode and surface transitioning on...
( When they are ON, its just like in the previous games... you can run from ground
to wall and to ceiling and back to wall and... )

Releasing the button can have one of two functions which depends how long you
held down the button...

If its a quick tap then it turns both systems (WW and TRANS) off and you fall to
the ground (unless of course you were already on ground...)

If you hold it down a little longer then the WW remains but the TRANS is disabled
so you can't move between walls and ceilings and ground anymore... So IF you are
on the ceilings for example then on the ceilings you will stay... (untill you press the
button again at least...)

Xenodog

Guys, In multiplayer, i reckon they WILL have done something, their not morons.
They'll probably either speed it up, or make you invincible as the animation happens. "If you know what i mean.)

VEF214

Quote from: Xenodog on Jan 21, 2010, 07:23:37 PM
They'll probably either speed it up, or make you invincible as the animation happens. "If you know what i mean.)

GOW1 god mode? Dear god noooooooo...

If you're opening a door and I hit you with a guitar over the head it should still hurt, the pain wouldn't be erased just because you were opening the door. *sigh*

Giger_Incubator

Quote from: Private W Hudson on Jan 21, 2010, 03:48:42 PM
Anyone think maybe they have a reason for doing all these things, and they're not just trying to piss you off?

And the reason is not to make it more console friendly, plenty of games play fine on the console without transition buttons and such.

Are you 12?, i mean seriously were on about how it will effect the PC gamers it will be so annoying i hope there is a option to change that damn thing. I like the AVP1, AVP2, Classic ways thank you very much. Ofcourse it's console friendly and if it's included in the PC release then we know it's been ported copy and paste ftw?

Nope, not 12 (Not really sure how anything in the post you indicated signaled a young age, but I guess when you have to scrounge for an original insult you got to work with whatever comes to mind quickest for you). 

If you had been paying attention to the news, they've said every system has been built from the ground up.  No ports.  And while they said they are focusing on the console versions, they are all avid PC gamers.

This means that for some reason, they thought the best option for going into a vent was to have a transitional button pop up when you are near. 

Now there is no reason for this to have come from consoles, because a joystick doesn't limit your ability to get into a vent opening.  Anyone who says otherwise is a PC fanboy who doesn't play with a controller.  It wouldn't make any sense.

So, if we look at all that, they must have made this setup for the reason that it benefits the gameplay in some way that we can't fully realize because we haven't PLAYED THE DAMN THING.

OiScout

Quote from: Giger_Incubator on Jan 21, 2010, 07:34:11 PM
If you had been paying attention to the news, they've said every system has been built from the ground up.  No ports.  And while they said they are focusing on the console versions, they are all avid PC gamers.

This means that for some reason, they thought the best option for going into a vent was to have a transitional button pop up when you are near. 

Now there is no reason for this to have come from consoles, because a joystick doesn't limit your ability to get into a vent opening.  Anyone who says otherwise is a PC fanboy who doesn't play with a controller.  It wouldn't make any sense.

So, if we look at all that, they must have made this setup for the reason that it benefits the gameplay in some way that we can't fully realize because we haven't PLAYED THE DAMN THING.

Simply because a company says something, doesn't necessarily make it true.  I mean hell, they said the same thing for Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising and it was disappointing as f**k(I'm quite sure everyone who bought the game agrees on this).

Anyway, I think entering the vent will be nice and easy with it, but exiting may prove to be a problem like stated earlier.  Unless the exit is the normal way to exit, that is to say, you just crawl out at your own pace.  But then like stated in the scenario, re-entering would be a problem.

Tomar

Quote from: Giger_Incubator on Jan 21, 2010, 07:34:11 PM
Quote from: Private W Hudson on Jan 21, 2010, 03:48:42 PM

And the reason is not to make it more console friendly, plenty of games play fine on the console without transition buttons and such.

Are you 12?, i mean seriously were on about how it will effect the PC gamers it will be so annoying i hope there is a option to change that damn thing. I like the AVP1, AVP2, Classic ways thank you very much. Ofcourse it's console friendly and if it's included in the PC release then we know it's been ported copy and paste ftw?

Nope, not 12 (Not really sure how anything in the post you indicated signaled a young age, but I guess when you have to scrounge for an original insult you got to work with whatever comes to mind quickest for you). 

Well I hope so.

Otherwise if they had not thought about this for MP on the PC section I will gladly wait with my sniper rifle when an alien comes out of the vent to put a big bullet through its dome and tear it into pieces ...  and believe me I will not miss my target ;)!

piet11111

"you havent played the damned thing" really ?

have you ever stopped to ask yourself that if it indeed works out the way these people fear it will that by then any attempts to change it would probably be useless ?

or would you then go with "they finished the game you cant honestly expect them to change things now" ?

and while they probably would have a reason (assuming its even in the PC version) that still would not by any means guarantee it to be a good reason.
making it controller friendly is something i do not mind but do not mess with my keyboard+mouse set up because that would be detrimental to my enjoyment of the game.
i want to be in control and not be reduced to resorting to quick time event style gameing of press A to not die events.

Xenodog

Quote from: VEF214 on Jan 21, 2010, 07:27:01 PM

If you're opening a door and I hit you with a guitar over the head it should still hurt, the pain wouldn't be erased just because you were opening the door. *sigh*

Fine. Would you rather get cheap-killed as an Alien, every time you go through a vent?!

Although, aren't we making a bit of a big deal about this? Every other game, when you climb/enter stuff, you can be killed, and you never moan about that.

VEF214

Quote from: Xenodog on Jan 21, 2010, 07:59:35 PM

Fine. Would you rather get cheap-killed as an Alien, every time you go through a vent?!

Although, aren't we making a bit of a big deal about this? Every other game, when you climb/enter stuff, you can be killed, and you never moan about that.

I would rather avoid the matter entirely and let people walk through a space in the wall without having to press a button and wait.

Tomar

Tomar

Nah, it can possibly not be for you as a solitary alien a big deal but imagine this if you play with around ~10 aliens and 5 humans and 2 preds in a server and there are several vents around the level and also a sniper rifle in the level, do you really think that so many aliens, especially considering that the vents will be the "safe harbours" for aliens that you will not find quite regulary always some aliens speeding up to go into a vent and if you are like I you would be on a look out for easy prey (as human ;) ) and you would take your chances and zoom in one-shot with the sniper => one less alien and one frag more ;). Now imagine this on an amount of ten aliens were occassionally always one or two aliens will use the vents ;).

You can easily score yourself up on the first place in the scoring board just by being cautious and looking for easy prey while at the same time using all your existing weaponry to kill as much enemies as possible while no alien is seeable or in the "transition phase" seeable to be more exact (though for seeing in the dark you have the MT after the Map knowledge ;) ) ... I think such a thing will break the neck for some aliens especially if you have good snipers around ;) ... .

By the way when I played alien in clan servers it was imparative to vanish quickly into a vent รก la bunker especially if you pounced on a wall and wall walked immediately into the vent while being upside ... its very important in AvP 2 to utilize wall walking and being as good of an alien upside down as it is when you walk on the ground, especially if you face a lot of good humans and clan players ;). Such a thing would make you in this fast paced game a big target for every marine or human in general ... .

AJL

AJL

Every other game, when you climb/enter stuff, you can be killed, and you never moan about that.

Walking through vent opening isn't like climbing though... its more like walking
through some open doorway...

Imagine what it would be like... You come to a door... Its open... You try to
to walk through but you are stopped by and invisible barrier... and a message
pops up on your screen... "Press (X) to walk through the open doorway"...

You hit X... Tadaa... You get "cinematic" where you walk through the door
(which maybe last for about a second..) and once your through you may
continue playing as "usual"...

VEF214

Quote from: AJL on Jan 21, 2010, 08:12:14 PM
Every other game, when you climb/enter stuff, you can be killed, and you never moan about that.

Walking through vent opening isn't like climbing though... its more like walking
through some open doorway...

Imagine what it would be like... You come to a door... Its open... You try to
to walk through but you are stopped by and invisible barrier... and a message
pops up on your screen... "Press (X) to walk through the open doorway"...

You hit X... Tadaa... You get "cinematic" where you walk through the door
(which maybe last for about a second..) and once your through you may
continue playing as "usual"...

It seems like it makes for a clunky experience movement wise, and with the Alien supposed to be fluid, agile, and quick of foot, this doesn't seem like a good gameplay mechanic to implement.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed