Does Anybody Think The Runner Should Have Looked Different

Started by Predalien91, Jan 08, 2008, 04:07:30 AM

Author
Does Anybody Think The Runner Should Have Looked Different (Read 3,611 times)

Eidotemit

Quote from: SM on Jan 08, 2008, 09:39:39 AM
Yeah I agree.  It's a lot worse than the Newborn.  At least that had an excsue for looking like an abomination.

good point

Neukku

Quote from: The Chibi Kiriyama on Jan 08, 2008, 09:21:16 AM
The Predalien...so much effort for such a huge failure. It's the Newborn all over again.

Amen. The AVPR Predalien is so ugly  :-X

Corporal Hicks

Thing is the Newborn is meant to look like an abomination. Chet isn't. Chet is a failure in hybrid design. There is nothing wrong with the Runner.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Neither versions really equate to what I would have preferred a canine-hosted Alien to look like. The Giger one is too thin and delicate and the version we had looked almost the same as a normal one, except without dorsals and with a different posture.

There are some more differences, but they're only evident in production stills, models and so on.

The concept had a lot more potential then the execution did.

Eidotemit

I'm particularly glad it didn't look that different. It keeps the aliens more...pure. More their own creature. Especially because the aliens really don't resemble what they came from to any great degree. Elongated head, innerjaw, exoskeleton, dorsal spines, 6 fingers (with 2 fused pairs), barbed tail. It really is its own creature, the predalien took the concept of borrowing from the host way to far. They should have just left it at the mandibles.

Predalien91

Quote from: The Chibi Kiriyama on Jan 08, 2008, 04:24:02 AM
The Alien is not a Kenner's toy. By your logic, a human-hosted Alien should come out with a shortened head, a full set of hair, and a penis.

This is a render of his Alien 3 design, third image going down. You'll notice he didn't give it a snout, amongst other arbitrary things:

http://www.kunsthauswien.com/english/austellungen/hr_giger.php

Well maybe not with a penis or that hair. The human aliens look right the way they should have, Human skul just longer, human legs and feet. I did like the dog aliens design alot but I feel they could have added more.

Commander Aun

The Predalien...so much effort for such a huge failure. It's the Newborn all over again.

Then what would be the 'perfect' predalien?

The Chibi Kiriyama

One that abides by what the Aliens have been like since day one. The mandibles are okay...since everything about the Alien anatomy is a little more beefed up than that of the host, they could be used to crush a victim's head without looking silly. Hell, maybe some face-tearing if you want some painful variety. The skull? A-okay with me. Stretching out a Predator skull just makes it that much more unique from what we've seen before, and I haven't heard many complaints about the transluscent shell. Maybe...just maybe...if you had a dreadlock for each side of the head, you could compromise with everyone who seems to want the Predalien to have some.

But then you have what we got...loads of detail for no apparent reason. Why would an Alien need musculature? To impress other Aliens? It already has acid blood to deter the foolish from breaking through its skin. What does the skin pattern accomplish? Nothing. How about the way they made it look like a cross between a Queen's head and a Predator's skull? Was that really necessary, even with the plot twist (which is murky at best)? Then we have the mess of dreadlocks...why? Since they look like Predator dreadlocks with Alien bits, the final battle's scenes only confuse the viewer. And as for the extra add-ons like the mandibles on the tongue and the "throwback to Giger's look"? Not only is is useless, but you never see any of it underneath all of that flesh. The finalized version even managed to make the mandibles Anderson got right look goofy. That's the money-making trademark...why would they eff with it?

All in all, it just became way too busy. I appreciate that they tried to add their own take on Giger's designs to please the fans, but they never would've needed to do that if they just stopped trying to add so many unnecessary Predator parts to the creature. Giger himself once said that to make the "new" Alien he was designing for the third film feminine, all he needed to do was focus on making cheeks and lips that made you think of a woman. The Predalien had that going for it; who's going to mix up an Alien with mandibles with the rest? But in trying to add so much, they just made it look like fan art. That's the sad part.

Predalien91

Failure? :-\ He was far from it, and a hell of a lot better then the newborn

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed