Just how smart is the Queen?

Started by Eldritch_DM, Jan 06, 2008, 01:30:16 AM

Author
Just how smart is the Queen? (Read 3,297 times)

Eldritch_DM

Eldritch_DM

I got into an argument with my friends the other day about the Alien Queen. Of course they were all Predator fans and I was outnumbered 3 to 1. Who else out there agrees that the Xenmomorph Queen is very intelligent? I think she is or can be smarter than the average human.

Uncanny Antman

She's smarter than your average Alien.

There's no way she's smarter than a human.  (Except for one or two I won't name. ;) )

The Chibi Kiriyama

I'd say it's very intelligent, or at least as far as a creature without technology can be considered in comparison to us. It can make solid connections between a weapon and its threat with little in terms of an example required, and it was smart enough to know that the elevator was going to bring it closer to its prey. If you add in AlienĀ³, we'd be able to say it's also capable of contingency plans. You also have to consider that the Alien Queen was not very old as we would define "old" to be, and that the Aliens are capable of quickly adapting to their surroundings. I'd say it's comparable to a primate.

Pinky Narfanek

I'd say that she's easily as smart as a normal human.

Now, of course individuals will vary and it's hard to fathom a (truly) alien mindset.  But she seemed to do pretty well with directing the Hive during Aliens (cutting power, finding ways around the tunnels, etc.), with navigating human technology, and dealing with the threats that human technology presented during the fight on the Sulaco.

Some of that might be instinct, but some is probably a capable brain.

Eldritch_DM

Eldritch_DM

Quote from: Pinky Narfanek on Jan 06, 2008, 02:50:18 AM
I'd say that she's easily as smart as a normal human.

Now, of course individuals will vary and it's hard to fathom a (truly) alien mindset.  But she seemed to do pretty well with directing the Hive during Aliens (cutting power, finding ways around the tunnels, etc.), with navigating human technology, and dealing with the threats that human technology presented during the fight on the Sulaco.

Some of that might be instinct, but some is probably a capable brain.

Yes, I agree. In one of the novels, which I'm counting since I'm not just discribeing the Queen's from the movies, she scaled a 120 on the IQ testing scale. I think it was Earth Hive. But aside from that you are right about her abilities to control every aspect of the Hive down to a T.

SM

SM

Quote(Except for one or two I won't name.  )

Oh come on.  There's at least three.

Corporal Hicks

There's a whole fanbase... :P

brad873

brad873

she is very smart. if only Slofs diary of a xenomorph was cannon, then she would be super smart. lol. but i think what makes them so smart is there ability to learn at amazing speed

Eldritch_DM

Eldritch_DM

I think givin the right circumstances that the Queen would be able to learn at a geometric rate, given that she is probably the only one with brains in the entire hive. The only other time is when an alien is alone (Alien, Alien3)? Am I right? Those two xenos did show some intelligence without the Queen. She must hog all the smarts for herself  ;D but seriously, when it comes to the Hive, she could probably outsmart a handful of humans.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: brad873 on Jan 06, 2008, 03:35:51 PM
she is very smart. if only Slofs diary of a xenomorph was cannon, then she would be super smart. lol. but i think what makes them so smart is there ability to learn at amazing speed

As entertaining as that is, I wouldn't want that variation of the Alien lifecycle. I think that a Queen would be very smart. She'd have to be to control a large hive though the strain of it might explain why the individuals might seem less intelligent.

Eldritch_DM

Eldritch_DM

As entertaining as that is, I wouldn't want that variation of the Alien lifecycle. I think that a Queen would be very smart. She'd have to be to control a large hive though the strain of it might explain why the individuals might seem less intelligent.
[/quote]

Quite possible...

Lucian Laurentis

I'd go with as smart as a primate. Primates are practically as intelligent as humans in their reasoning. The only thing they can't do is create computers and such. I'd say that the Alien Queen is intelligent in her reasoning, her problem solving. Therefore I compare her to a primate.

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

I'd say the queen is smarter than an average alien, having to coordinate them an all, and that an alien is smarter than a human.

Well, maybe smarter isn't the right word, but something like that. The thing is, its a different kind of intelligence. We can build guns and rockets, and all sorts of tech., but they don't need to. Its a different kind of intelligence, but their observational skills and ability to absorb knowledge then pass it down to the next generation makes them very formidable. Its hard to equate which is "smarter" but the aliens obviously aren't stupid, and clearly smarter than a primate.

Eldritch_DM

Eldritch_DM

Quote from: Eidotemit on Jan 06, 2008, 09:35:17 PM
I'd say the queen is smarted than an average alien, having to coordinate them an all, and that an alien is smarter than a human.

Well, maybe smarter isn't the right word, but something like that. The thing is, its a different kind of intelligence. We can build guns and rockets, and all sorts of tech., but they don't need to. Its a different kind of intelligence, but their observational skills and ability to absorb knowledge then pass it down to the next generation makes them very formidable. Its hard to equate which is "smarter" but the aliens obviously aren't stupid, and clearly smarter than a primate.

Thank you.. well said.
A person can be very smart but people in a crowd are dumb stupid mindless animals. Any Alien is smarter than a crowd, we might as well be cattle..... well we are. Haha  ;D

Uncanny Antman

The idea that an Alien is smarter than a human could only be dreamed up by a human dumber than an Alien.

We've seen how they interact and problem solve.  They are most certainly not smarter than humans.
They are extremely intuitive and cunning...for an animal.  But they rely fundamentally on instinct.  Putting them at an ape or dolphin level would be quite accurate, in my opinion.

Quote from: Lord-Naraku on Jan 06, 2008, 05:22:31 PM
I think givin the right circumstances that the Queen would be able to learn at a geometric rate
If she requires specific circumstances, why would her learning be geometric?  Why not just, "She gets smarter the longer she lives...the more she experiences"?  Which, like almost all animals, would be true.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed