Does Prey make Predator: 1718 Non-canon?

Started by Frosty Venom, Aug 13, 2022, 08:09:43 AM

Author
Does Prey make Predator: 1718 Non-canon? (Read 5,895 times)

Local Trouble

Quote from: OpenMaw on Sep 19, 2022, 04:37:33 AMEvery time I was hearing murmurings in the lead up to Prey "Oh I hope they show the pistol." I just... Be careful what you wish for.

I stopped doing that sort of thing after the Star Wars prequels.

Now I brace myself every time a new prequel (or even a sequel for that matter) is announced because I find that so many filmmakers pay only superficial attention to continuity (much less obscure ancillary material like the comics or novels).

And now some filmmakers seem to litter their movies with so many ridiculous callbacks that everything else takes a back seat to nostalgia.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 19, 2022, 06:19:10 AMI stopped doing that sort of thing after the Star Wars prequels.

Now I brace myself every time a new prequel (or even a sequel for that matter) is announced because I find that so many filmmakers pay only superficial attention to continuity (much less obscure ancillary material like the comics or novels).

And now some filmmakers seem to litter their movies with so many ridiculous callbacks that everything else takes a back seat to nostalgia.

Every time I have seen Alien since Prometheus came out I just shake my head during the Derelict scene. Jim Cameron even knew better. Don't touch it. Let the mystery thrive.

Now we have the answer. It was some blokes gun. Wooooooo...?

Yeah I'm not keen on the thick layer of nostalgia that is marinated into our media these days. It seems to stand in for genuine emotion half the time. Memberberries.

BlueMarsalis79

I prefer to view each entry in isolation, no pun intended either, it is still a big mysterious corpse in the context of Alien to me.

Cosmic Incubation

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Sep 19, 2022, 06:58:38 PMI prefer to view each entry in isolation, no pun intended either, it is still a big mysterious corpse in the context of Alien to me.

Same here, I have a healthy degree of separation for each film, in my mind.
I look at the Alien prequels as separate continuity, just as I look at the AVP films as separate, or even the Dark Horse comics (Outbreak, Nightmare Asylum, Earth War). They each are just branching continuities/timelines. Which helps me appreciate each for what they are, as well as preserve the perfection of the first Alien film in my mind. 

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: OpenMaw on Sep 19, 2022, 04:14:14 AMI don't care what anyone, myself included, thinks is or isn't "canon." That's not what the word canon MEANS. What I personally deem as "really happened" or not does not equate to what Fox/Disney/TPTB decide is what is canonical. Book of Enoch is not canon. Neither is 1718. It may have been at one point defacto canon, but Greyback does not meet Adolini because the man is dead. Just as Hicks and Newt are dead in Alien 3.

Despite Maw's dedication over the last week for busting my balls on YouTube, I have to highlight this and agree with him completely. And it's why I find canon a hugely irritating topic to get in discussions about it. It absolutely means nothing to us as consumers, other than some warped sense of satisfaction over our preferred story being the "official" one.

Canon matters only to the people who make the stories. That's it. Something being official or not doesn't make it suddenly disappear. It's only really a concern if future stories develop on that new "official" thing that might contain specific elements you don't like - such as David and his creation of the Aliens.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 20, 2022, 08:33:27 AMDespite Maw's dedication over the last week for busting my balls on YouTube,

This is what happens when I watch things early in the morning and don't filter myself. Nothing but love, and the utmost respect, Hicks. :)

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 20, 2022, 08:33:27 AMCanon matters only to the people who make the stories. That's it. Something being official or not doesn't make it suddenly disappear. It's only really a concern if future stories develop on that new "official" thing that might contain specific elements you don't like - such as David and his creation of the Aliens.

Exactly! There is no telling which way the wind will blow. Ridley has some involvement in the FX series and the new movie allegedly being worked on right? So his ideas about David could, even in a tertiary way, continue. I personally don't care for that direction, but that doesn't mean anything. Even if everyone on here were to take a vote and say unamimously that "David didn't make the aliens" and we said that was our canon... I think Fox/Disney/etc would just go... "*stops counting money* Who?"

I'm not saying that anyone who loves 1718 is wrong. I'm not saying that the love people have for that story is suddenly invalid. I'm just saying, clearly, Fox/Disney doesn't see it as the "real" version of events... and if there is a Prey 2, it'll build on this new continuity... Possibly, or they might go and do an anthology type of thing like fans are scrambling for on Social Media.

BlueMarsalis79

What did you grill him on? @OpenMaw

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed