Predators
654 (49.8%)

Total Members Voted: 1202

Author
Alien or Predator? (Read 462,177 times)

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

Quote from: Eighty-Five on Feb 18, 2021, 06:23:58 PM
Aliens aren't exactly shown to blindly rush into overwhelming opposition.
In Aliens (one their own movies) the Xenomorphs/Aliens literally run into the Automatic turret fire and lose an outlandish amount of their number just to "test the defenses" they very much run blindly into overwhelming opposition.

Eighty-Five

Eighty-Five

Quote from: (Bad Blood) on Feb 18, 2021, 11:05:11 PM
In Aliens (one their own movies) the Xenomorphs/Aliens literally run into the Automatic turret fire and lose an outlandish amount of their number just to "test the defenses" they very much run blindly into overwhelming opposition.

Only in the extended cut, and even then we don't really see how many of them are killed. It's not impossible that they 'baited' the guns into firing and expending their ammo.

Honestly, I feel like the scene was probably removed because it doesn't really jive with later scenes where the aliens are shown to be pretty smart, cutting the power, using the elevator, etc.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah the Aliens Special Edition and the Alien³ Special Edition each have a scene that diminishes the Alien's intelligence on the surface level.

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

Quote from: Eighty-Five on Feb 18, 2021, 11:11:22 PM

Only in the extended cut, and even then we don't really see how many of them are killed. It's not impossible that they 'baited' the guns into firing and expending their ammo.

Honestly, I feel like the scene was probably removed because it doesn't really jive with later scenes where the aliens are shown to be pretty smart, cutting the power, using the elevator, etc.
I see your point, I should have put a "Haha" or "lol" my mistake, I was just joking about that scene, I know it's not part of the original film. As much as I love Predators, Aliens are truly much much smarter than people give them credit for, think about this, the predators in AVP are around a hundred years old when they are considered youngbloods that have many years of training under their belt and are defeated by a being that is merely hours or a day or so old. Aliens are born into the world and have to take in everything around them and act in an adult capacity in a very short period of time to survive the hostile environment around them, mind you a human isn't even at this capacity for many years and certainly not as capable to defend itself, as I'm sure is the same for Predators only longer due to how long they live and take to mature, Aliens are within hours to a day able to understand human technology, coordinate and make traps as well as fully understand their own biology (Alien Resurrection they kill their own to escape) we have yet to see Aliens live past two weeks in the movies and they were already very intelligent, I can imagine if they were allowed to live and continue for years they would be nearly unstoppable. As much as I love Predators..Aliens are too damn impressive not admire.

Eighty-Five

Eighty-Five

They definitely get mixed portrayals when it comes to smarts. Sometimes they're shown to be surprisingly cunning, and learn from brief observations of their prey. Other times the writers/filmmakers/whatever have them doing pants-on-head-crazy shit like charging straight into enemy fire in the sentry guns scene or allowing Wolf to choke them out without even attempting to use their claws or tails to fight back. Such are the vagaries of long-running media franchises.

You've got me wondering how long it takes Predators to reach biological maturity now. Hm...

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

Quote from: Eighty-Five on Feb 18, 2021, 11:37:59 PM
They definitely get mixed portrayals when it comes to smarts. Sometimes they're shown to be surprisingly cunning, and learn from brief observations of their prey. Other times the writers/filmmakers/whatever have them doing pants-on-head-crazy shit like charging straight into enemy fire in the sentry guns scene or allowing Wolf to choke them out without even attempting to use their claws or tails to fight back. Such are the vagaries of long-running media franchises.

You've got me wondering how long it takes Predators to reach biological maturity now. Hm...
Very true, well it said the AVP 2004 Youngbloods were Teenagers doing their manhood rituals so we can assume they are the human equivalent of 14-18 or 18-22 (depending on their culture and standards for when you are considered to be old enough for adulthood) so I would assume it takes about 100 years or 105 years to reach maturity. In the film it said they return every 100 years, it was 1904 to 2004 since the last Youngbloods did their ritual. Though the avp website says they take 60 years to reach maturity.

Eighty-Five

Eighty-Five

True, but it's worth noting that just because they do the ritual once every 100 years doesn't mean the participants are 100 years old. Maybe they only accept new members once every 100 years, or maybe they do them much more frequently, but not always on Earth.

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

Quote from: Eighty-Five on Feb 18, 2021, 11:58:22 PM
True, but it's worth noting that just because they do the ritual once every 100 years doesn't mean the participants are 100 years old. Maybe they only accept new members once every 100 years, or maybe they do them much more frequently, but not always on Earth.
Yeah I modified my post to include that the website indicates 50-60 years for maturation. As I realize my mistake, I did not consider what you said. I was way off haha.

Kradan

Kradan

We ... don't talk about that

Quote from: (Bad Blood) on Feb 18, 2021, 11:30:37 PM
I see your point, I should have put a "Haha" or "lol" my mistake, I was just joking about that scene, I know it's not part of the original film. As much as I love Predators, Aliens are truly much much smarter than people give them credit for, think about this, the predators in AVP are around a hundred years old when they are considered youngbloods that have many years of training under their belt and are defeated by a being that is merely hours or a day or so old. Aliens are born into the world and have to take in everything around them and act in an adult capacity in a very short period of time to survive the hostile environment around them, mind you a human isn't even at this capacity for many years and certainly not as capable to defend itself, as I'm sure is the same for Predators only longer due to how long they live and take to mature, Aliens are within hours to a day able to understand human technology, coordinate and make traps as well as fully understand their own biology (Alien Resurrection they kill their own to escape) we have yet to see Aliens live past two weeks in the movies and they were already very intelligent, I can imagine if they were allowed to live and continue for years they would be nearly unstoppable. As much as I love Predators..Aliens are too damn impressive not admire.

Yeaaaah, actually. Good point

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 19, 2021, 07:44:04 AM

We ... don't talk about that

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Trash Queen on Feb 18, 2021, 11:25:20 PMYeah the Aliens Special Edition and the Alien³ Special Edition each have a scene that diminishes the Alien's intelligence on the surface level.

I've never understood how them swarming the sentry guns somehow makes them less intelligent.

They're adapting their strategy to a different scenario, and that's definitely a sign of intelligence.

They know they have sufficient numbers that they can afford to lose a few to get what they're after. When it becomes clear that's not necessarily the case, they adapt again.

Seems intelligent to me. Plus the fact they're willing to die to get what they want when they can afford it just serves to make them scarier imo.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I said on the surface level.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Trash Queen on Feb 18, 2021, 11:25:20 PM
Yeah the Aliens Special Edition and the Alien³ Special Edition each have a scene that diminishes the Alien's intelligence on the surface level.

What if it was the Queen intelligence instead. I mean, perhaps she was controlling her soldiers with pheromones so that she could test the waters at the battlefield. A sacrifice for a greater good.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I think the Alien Queen's actually more instinctually driven than intellectually driven so that makes sense.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Her hive was in the atmosphere processor. Who knows.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed